Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Ensign

We live aboard our beautiful 52-foot staysail schooner Marguerite (blue-water boat, built in 1983, major re-fits in 2000 and 2007, coast-guard approved, comfortable and sea-kindly) and plan to take her to the Mediterranean in late spring next year.

"We" refers to Skipper Jim, First Mate Barbara, and First Mascot Sam. Despite her classic looks, Marguerite has modern equipment (roller furling jib, staysail, and foresail, in-mast furled main, state-of-the art electronics) that make it easy for the two of us, with occasional help by the cat, to sail her. For our transatlantic crossing (May/June 2008, via Bermuda and the Azores, with first landing in Portugal), though, we would like to have two additional crew members to share the experience and the watches. We are looking for experienced sailors who can stand watch by themselves and contribute to sailing and navigation.

Before embarking on the crossing, we would like to get to know our crew and give them a chance to check the boat and us out. We are currently (August 3rd) in Maine, will go to Nova Scotia for the rest of August, sail down the East Coast in the fall (NYC last week of September, Hampton, VA, last week of October), and then spend the winter in the Caribbean (Bahamas, Jamaica, plans still flexible) before heading across the pond, probably after a short haul-out/bottom paint in the Chesapeake Bay in early May.

Crew need to pay for their own travel and visas; we will provide food (and both like to cook) but welcome contributions to the beer/wine/rum budget if you drink. A couple will have a private forward cabin and head, two individuals will have separate bunks and share the forward head. Tall sailors welcome; we have 6'6" headroom.

About us: we are (or think we are) fun, playful, passionate and easy-going and feel very lucky to be cruising on our beautiful boat. Jim is 51 and American, Barbara is 43 and German, we don't smoke, drink moderately, like good food and conversation, and occasionally skinny dip when that doesn't offend others.

We'd be delighted to hear from you if you are interested; we are looking for a good match for the crossing, will happily answer questions, send pictures, and try to accomodate your schedule so that we can sniff each other out sometime in the next 9 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Marguerite_ARC_Europe.JPG  

Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi,

We have been sailing for about seven years in Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada in our 36' sailboat. I would like to take this more seriously and experience some more adventurous journeys, get some sea miles and get ready to take some longer trips in the future on our boat. I would be interested in meeting with you and joining you on your boat for a period of time so that we can get to know each other.

I am 54 years old, retired professional, married but my wife would not be joining me on this trip. I am a non-smoker, social drinker, enjoy physical exercise and good conversation and like adventure.

I am available September through November and would be interested in joining you either in Nova Scotia or on your journey to the Bahamas.

Please let me know how this fits in with your plans and we can pick up our conversation from there.

Regards.

George

Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi,

We would be interested in the trip.

We are about to retire (run off to sea). We have done lots of inshore miles and one major ocean passage.

Currently based in NZ.

contact us at

dave.pinchin@clear.net.nz

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to Jerry_Skoll

Marguerite:

Saw your seeking crew message here on a ZA Crewfinder and am very interested. My experience is extensive. Also, I've called your plans to the attention of a close friend, Dr. Selwyn Levitt, with whom I've sailed the New England to Caribbean route (and return) several times the last of couple of years and he wishes to add his name. So there's 2 of us.

We may or may not be the type of sailor you desire. We have a "delivery mentality" meaning that the voyage itself is what motivates us. Generally, we would arrive a couple days ahead of the scheduled departure date to assist getting the boat ready for sea. After arrival at the destination port we will generally leave you to happily cruise by yourselves after a couple of days, unless there's a boat problem requiring our assistance. When the next long leg of a cruise occurs, we fly in at our own expense and repeat the process. On the other hand, if you desire crew members to stay with the boat to cruise the islands with you, we're not your crew.

I've personally just come off a 3-year association with a 47' ketch owned by a couple, perhaps not to dissimilar to yourselves. The skipper's medical problems have caused him to give up sailing and, of course, they remain dear friends. I'd be pleased to put you in touch with him/ them as a reference. I know that characteristics of that ketch as well as my own boat, and she was the boat that I always juggled my schedule to sail.

I do a lot of Atlantic sailing and basically advance book myself for the Spring and Fall seasons. Right now both Selwyn and my September are open, though I'm thinking seriously of wandering up to Halifax to visit an old friend. Both of our October's are fairly well booked. We have tentatively agreed to crew in this year's Caribbean 1500 Rally (the annual pilgrimage from Norfolk to Tortola), which is a November 1 start. In 2006 I was a Boat Inspector and "first-timer" coach for Caribbean 1500. So, with a small amount of schedule juggling your timetable fits with our availability.

I'd love to chat with you to learn more of your plans and I'm sure you have tons of questions for potential crew. If you have already selected a crew or have no interest in our brand of "delivery sailing" please shot me a "talk you- no thank you" email.

Jerry Skoll

gskoll@hotmail.com
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Ensign

Sounds like great fun. We would love to chat with you guys about the adventure. Robert my husband is 47 from UK (London) and been in the states 7 year and my self American 44 in two weeks are very interested. He has travelered much more of Europe than I have but the island around Greece are like a story book. He lived in Athens for 10 years before moving here and we have been several times. We look to gp to portugal and sailing it is as beautiful. We are both photograpers and he does websites and design so we love to travel and then put our adventures online for friends and family. This Labor we will be putting up a great trip in the keys I would love to send you link. We are currently in Jacksonville Florida.We would love to chat with you guys.

We prefer chatting via personal email so its easier to send photos and such. We did not load a photo here it was too large and just have not resized one but we have many and would love to hear about your adventures and see photos as well. We are always up for a 3 days weekend so we could meet up in any port.

Our email is robertsarahedges@hotmail.com

Looking forward to chatting and sharing stories

Sara and Robert
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Ensign

Hello. Sounds like a great trip. I am a 24 year old male, currently working on Block Island, RI. I've only been back and forth from the mainland sailing a few weekends this summer so I'm looking to get some real cruising in once my job ends in a few weeks. I spent all of last summer working aboard a traditional, wooden schooner in Maine, cruising the Penobscot Bay and the area, taking watches and stuff, so I'm very comfortable at sea and love being there. My interest would tentatively be for some portion of the fall and then go from there. I would love to hear from you and maybe figure something out. It would probably be easiest if you just emailed me.

-Bill Truelove

bill.truelove@gmail.com
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi, my name's Sassy. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

I'm 26 years old and have been sailing recreationally for about two years. I'm a hard worker, fast learner, team player, reasonably flexible and have excellent customer service skills. (I also have experience working solo on graveyard shifts.)

People tell me I'm easy going and have a good personality. And I get along with just about everybody. I'm low maintenance and friendly. And have been told I have a great sense of humor.

If you feel like I would be a good addition to your crew, please contact me at sassyfrass475@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
Ensign

Hey Jim and Barbara,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, and thank you for your reply to our post. We have been in Mexico for the past few weeks and didn't think to check this site while away! Are you still looking for crew? If so, we would love to chat with you as soon as possible.

Regards,

James and Mel

Please contact us at:

jamesboshier@yahoo.ca and plett_m@hotmail.com

Thanks! :
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Lin
Ensign

I am well experienced in large and small sailing vessels. I am always

considered as asset on any vessel. My experience includes charter

skipper in the Aegean, a transatlanatic crossing as navigator in a 42'

sailboat, New Zealand to Fiji in a 46' sailboat, Fiji to New Zealand as

Watch Officer on Alvei a 38 meter main-topsail schooner, Chief mate on

Caribbean Mercy a 265' hospital/relief vessel, numerous sailings as mate

for the New Zealand National Maritime Museum on Breeze, a 65'

square-rigger, Chief mate on Glacier Bay Exlporer requiring close

quarters navigation among rocks, and beach landings in wilderness

locations, watch leader on Spirit of New Zealand a 45 meter barquentine,

and numerous other sailing vessels of various size and transits,

including extensive experience among uncharted reefs in Fiji.

Also licensed ship officer.

I am currently Norfolk, Virginia and may be contacted at

torbeck1@yahoo.com

Lin Torbeck
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Ensign

Hi, my name's Carl and I'm a 23 year old shipwright/boatbuilder from Sydney, Australia and your schedule sounds perfect for me to maybe be involved. I will be on the south-west coast of the US from early Feb 2009, and my plan is to either sail cross-atlantic or fly to then crew in the Med. I have limited blue water experience sofar (just up and down around the coast near Sydney), but have my own boat which I sail on Sydney Harbour, as well as a pretty good ocean racing pedigree (my family is the Halvorsens). If I could sail with you guys for a while in the caribbean before crossing to gain some experience and see if you're happy with me to go, that would be awesome.

I also have no worries helping out with all the boat repairs, maintenance, haulout etc.

Look forward to hearing back if you're interested.

Cheers

Carl
Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Ensign

Wink

Dear Jim, Barbara, and Sam,

I was pleased to find a posting that fit so well with the crew position I desire.

I have been racing j/105's in the Chesapeake for a bit over a year now and have done some bareboat cruising in the BVI and SVG. I currently sit behind a desk for a custom millwork shop and its driving me crazy.

I just turned 25 in August and have caught the cruising bug bad. I am outgoing, have a great sense of humor and live for an adventure. I am easy to get along with and am willing to work my butt off to make my time on board worthwhile. I like to stay in shape, be active, and learn as much as I can.

I worked in Panama for 4 months helping to develop biodiesel production systems, so perhaps 100% renewable, recycled cheap fuel would be of some help.

I can cook and love to eat new and different food.

I would love to join your party but if not then perhaps I could come down to Norfolk/Hampton before you depart and meet you all for a dinner and a drink. I would love to check out your setup and hear more about your plans.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for the consideration.

Phil Strause

Richmond Va

rvatdi@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
atthehelm.jpg   handstand.jpg  
Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Ensign

I have an ASA certification and racing experience. I’ve also been employed as a cook and have a very strong technical aptitude - worked mapping with GPS/GIS systems and with computers. I have a wealth of experience and knowledge working with computers (worked many years as a Systems Admin. and Programmer) that I would be glad to share. I’ve done a bit of remodeling and carpentry as well. I'm currently in Salem, MA and can be can be in NY real easily.

I also am a musician of sorts. I play the banjo, and some various other things.

matt (at) thepeterkas (dot) com

--Matt

8/08 – current Friendship

Salem, MA

Volunteer

Basic familiarity with square rigged/traditionally rigged ships.

Climbing, Deckhand duties.

9/08 – 9/08 Equity

Newburyport, MA

Crew

Rockport to Newburyport

30+ Knot winds, kedging, rigging repair

8/08 – 8/08 Amenity

Mill Basin, Brooklyn

Crew

Helmsman, Tacktician on a Catalina 27.

Rockaway Inlet, Ambrose Channel, Raritan Bay, Old Orchard Shoals

6/08 – 8/08 Madem Baud

Haverstraw, NY

Crew

Inshore racing on the Hudson River.

Grinder, Trimmer, Tacktician on a 1986 C&C 27.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Ensign

Hello Marguerite,

I am 62 years old, have received my ASA basic keelboat certificate ( waiting for my basic cruising certificate ).

Have sialed the wee boats ( sunfish , etc. ), the twenty some odd ( o'days 22, 25 footers ) day sailing, and taken an eight day training cruise in the BVIs' on a 50 foot Beneteau.

Spent twelve years in the USN, over six on destroyers ( round the world in 1966 ).

In good physical shape. Layed back . Good worker. Can handle the helm, the lines ( both running and docking ). Basic navagation.

On the possible downside; I am deaf in my left ear and a bit of loss in my right.

If am considered; what would be the time table that I would be required?

Blue Skies...Richard

R. E. Weisner

Long Island, New York
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Ensign

I would like to sail and work a leg of your voyage between Caribbean or FL up toward Chesapeake. Responsible 53yo empty nester dad seeking open water experience. Some near-shore experience. Please kepp me in mind if interested later. Thank you.

-Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
Ensign

HI Barbara and Jim,

it sounds like you two are a lovely couple with a great voyage. We would love to join you on your trip to Europe by June and would be very much interested in cruising the Caribean beforehand. We would be available from the end of November. We wouldn't mind skinny dipping either ;-)

please find a few more details on us below and an attached photo. Let us know if you have any more questions.

fair winds for your sailing, cheers, martin and wenda

If you are looking for a capable, easy-going, responsible deckhand that can cook and is smart enough for interesting discussions after work, your search is over. – I've got TWO matches on offer.

My partner (Wenda, 33) and I (Martin, 33) would like to join you where ever you are some time between end November 2008 and end Mai 2009.

We're currently living in Melbourne/Australia, where we have just finished our PhDs in Biology and Hydrogeology, respectively. We are originally from Germany and came to Australia 5 years ago.

My life long dream is to live on a sailing boat and I'd like to offer educational adventure holidays to tourists combining my passions sailing, scuba-diving and marine biology. Six years ago, I had the opportunity to crew for 3 month on a British private yacht (Moody 36) between Cairns/Australia and Singapore. This trip changed my dream into a concrete plan. It was bloody fantastic!

Wenda, unfortunately, hasn't had the opportunity yet to find out whether a life 'on board' suits her, too. That is why we want to crew on your sailing vessel before investing in one of our own.

Skills we bring:

both of us:

- quick learners, hands-on personalities

- optimistic, easy-going characters

- good cooks

- willing to do all necessary work on and under deck

- fluent in English (well, Australian and German

- entertaining hobby: acrobalance (an acrobatic circus art)

Martin:

- widely accepted German licence (Sportbootfuehrerschein), legalising the driving of non-commercial vessels up to 15 metric tons (with or without motor).

- 3000 sm crewing experience on a Moody 36 sailing boat

- scuba-diving for 17 years (can teach, but don't have licence to issue certificates)

Wenda:

- advanced Spanish language skills

- entertaining hobby: playing the guitar

- healthy hobby for exhausted bodies: Yoga (11 years)
Attached Thumbnails
Martin_wenda_small.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #16
Ensign

If you haven't filled your crew needs yet I'd love to talk. I am 48 y/o and RYA Yachtmaster certified though by itself that doesn't mean too much. I haven't made an Atlantic crossing and am eager to go.

I'm in the US but have sailed the coast of Portugal from Lagos Eastward to Gibraltar and a bit beyond. Current plans are to take my family sailing in the Western med this summer starting around July 5. Your schedule looks like it could dovetail nicely and I could leave you guys anywhere from Portugal and travel overland or help as far as Gibraltar.

If along the US coast I can make a visit so we could get to know each other and see if its a fit. I'm easy company and very responsible so no concerns there.

Curry
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Ensign

Hi Jim and Barbara!

We are Marco (50) and Renata 41. We live aboard our 43 sloop on the Mediterranean, but only may through sept. We are planning a trip to the Carribean during next jan and feb, looking for crewing opportunities, but we can also help you crossing the pond in may. Next summer you will be on the Med, any way...so we can meet!

We are cat lovers and naturists. Marco is a professional skipper and Renata a wonderful cook. We do not smoke and actually hate cigarettes...

We are Italians, but both fluent in English. We speak some French and Spanish as well.

Our email: gattomivco@yahoo.it

All the best

Marco and Renata
Attached Thumbnails
cala_dalmazia.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Licensed Captain

Home Port: St. Thomas
Send a message via Yahoo to davidNwillems

I am very interested, I'll send my resume as soon as I get your email address, I am davidNwillems@yahoo.com . Thank you.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Ensign

Good morning;

Just now found your crew wanted posting and would like to throw my hat into the ring. My qualifications are:
  • 19 years sailing in the Great Lakes. Currently cruise extensively on restored 35' sloop, mostly single handed.
  • Numerous ocean passages including one Pacific crossing as Second Mate, two Pacific crossings as First Mate, a Caribbean delivery as First Mate, and an Atlantic crossing. All passages on yachts over 45'. Reference letter attached.
  • Past "Sailing & Safety at Sea" Instructor for the U.S. Navy Sea Cadets.
  • Excellent watch standing, navigating, sail trim, and yacht management skills.
  • Skilled ships systems and diesel mechanic.
  • Certified in CPR, First Aid, and scuba.
  • Speak Spanish & Polish
  • Extensive world travel in business and sailing
  • Young 53 years old. Excellent health. Non smoker, exercise daily. Photo attached
  • Married (35 years), 2 grown children; son is Naval officer (Lt.Commander); daughter is financial analyst in D.C.
  • Well read, good conversationalist, easy going & passable cook
Like you, for past passages the owners & I have always met first to ensure compatibility. I can travel to meet you wherever you are at the appropriate time.

Best regards,

Al Lankford

1523 Avondale Drive

Green Bay WI 54313

920-265-0941

alankford@new.rr.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W_Years___Lettera_Lankford.pdf (11.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Al.jpg.pdf (33.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
Ensign

Hello, my name is Weston Lynch, I am looking for a position as a deckhand during a trans-atlantic voyage. My dates fit the dates you would like to travel. I need to be in Istanbul by July 12 at the latest for a wedding, but that should be no problem.

A little bit about myself:

I have work experience in both painting and construction, and have extensive hospitality experience from working in fine dining and hotels. I am a hard worker who loves a good challenge, and am always looking for something new to experience and interesting people to meet. I speak English fluently, Spanish conversationally, and am currently learning Turkish. I grew up learning how to manage small sailboats and catamarans (hobiecats), and have a real love for sailing. I enjoy cooking a great deal, and have had a job working at a camp as head cook, but cooking gourmet food is not my specialty. As I was in the Boyscouts, I have experience with knots, although they will need to be refreshed. Although I have never experienced an extended trip on a sailboat, I believe I would enjoy it immensely.

I will have just graduated college in early May and am hoping to spend some time, possibly years, working abroad teaching English and maybe working for peace in Israel/Palestine (although I dont really know how to go about this yet). Whatever I do, I know that the place I feel most at home is in unfamiliar surroundings and amongst challenges, even though they may be hard at the time.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I will send a CV and picture upon request, and a phone interview is very doable.

Tags
atlantic, atlantic crossing, crew wanted, crossing, med