Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Ensign

I am seeking 3-4 crew, at least one with blue water experience, to assist in shakedown sail of my yacht "Love of Gaia" commencing early November in Morton Bay, and proceeding in easy steps through Southport , Coffs Harbour, Port Stevens, possibly Newcastle, and then various locations in Sydney. We'll proceed North and then East thereafter slowly, avoiding cyclone season, and thence to the Pacific.

The yacht is a steel cutter rigged Roberts 53 sloop with brand new spars and rig being installed next week, new radar, ultra-sonic weather station, GPS5012 plotter. A new home designed self-steering rudder is being commissioned and needs tuning. Heaps of green power (10 x 80w solar, wind gen, 1800Ah batt) and 6Kw genset for backup. The yacht has rather rugged but spacious interior (head room throughout), more of an adventure style vessel than a luxury yacht. The cabins, one single berth, one twin, and one double. Two watertight bulkheads, the forward V berth being configured as a workshop.

Some gear, including sea-anchor, large dinghy, SSB radio, AIS B transponder, freezer, and a better cooktop than my current metho stove is yet to be chosen and fitted.

Food will be provided for the experienced crew who assists in finalising the fitout and shakedown. The idea here is to find a more or less permanent live-aboard sailing partner.

Less experienced crew coming for the ride will be expected to share food costs. Marina fees, fuel, and other boat expenses will be covered by the owner.

Smoking inside is not permitted but it's ok in the open. The occasional alcoholic drink is fine but I'm not interested in regular drinkers.

ME: I'm 55, male, have done lots of dinghy sailing, but don't have much blue water experience. I'm a terrible cook and don't know how to fish! I'm into diving, and will be seeking an activity in the Pacific Islands helping local people. I smoke (wish I didn't) but don't drink.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4474_1_low.jpg  

Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Looks and sounds like a good boat. Wish I could make the trip but don't have the time that time of year.

I have a mate on a trip around Australia who may be able to help, and some folks at the bay here who are taking a cat from Sydney to Cairns with crew late October. Some of the crew might be available for the trip back to Sydney and may appreciate the ride. All good solid sailing folks, I'll pass the word around.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
Looks and sounds like a good boat.
She's getting there, in the usual style of boats, by eating a large hole in my pocket
Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrill View Post
She's getting there, in the usual style of boats, by eating a large hole in my pocket
sadly i cant make it ... v. tempting tho. when you hit sydney ... let me konw and be happy to go out on teh harbour with you. Early Nov got a 5 day practical component to my RYA Day SKippers course.

Good luck. Safe trips
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Ensign

Love of Gaia now has her new rig by All Yacht Spars! The freezer is installed but eats too much power, seems to need extra insulation. There's a new tinny mounted on the foredeck too. The radar and weather station work well with the Garmin plotter.

Chris from AYS and sailmaker Ben from Sailtech have scheduled a test sail for Friday late morning (weather permitting).

If you're in the Brisbane area, come along! She's at RQYS, Manly. Give me (John) a ring if you're interested on zero four two zero 466233.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Ensign

Please close this thread as the journey has now been completed (had to pay a crew unfortunately).

Tags
brisbane, sydney