Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Angry

Check out this post from another site, details omitted to protect the guilty

CALIFORNIA => PERSIAN GULF (OMAN). Seeking 1 Captain and 3 crew to join me for a passage of a lifetime. I will be inheriting a 30' sailboat by the end of the year and planning on crossing the pacific of march/April 09. This voyage is only for true adventurers and must have serious blue water Experience. Planning on living off the sea and hunting from various remote islands along the way. This is a minimum 3 month at sea passage.

1: 5 people on a 30'er for 3 months, hope they all have great people skills, and if you figure on one gallon of drinking water per person per day you are looking at about 2 tons (US) just in water not too mention other stores, oh wait they got that covered.

2: Inherting the boat, makes you wonder how much seatime this soon to be owner has.

3: Planning on "living off the sea and hunting on various remote islands" this person should stick to watching reruns of Gilligans Island.

It's unfortunate but some poor souls will probably respond to this add, we will no doubt be reading about them in the Yachts overdue or missing forum.

Is there anybody that would seriously consider joining this "adventure of a lifetime" or am I being too pessimistic?

On a positive note it would probably be a great opportunity to get material for a good book if one had writting skills. Something akin to "Adrift" I would venture.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Check out this post from another site, details omitted to protect the guilty

It's unfortunate but some poor souls will probably respond to this add, we will no doubt be reading about them in the Yachts overdue or missing forum.
Sammy,

If you have a chance, you could write a (kindly) PM to the new skipper about the very issues you're posting here. It is quite possible that the new skipper doesn't know much about sailing and could appreciate the info if it is presented in a nice way.

Many folks go along with a dreamy view of cruising without enough real knowledge to understand that in doing whatever it is that they're planning to do...that they'll actually be creating a riskier situation than what is inherent in the cruise itself.

All sorts of people do all sorts of things that you or I might not undertake...its a free ocean

But if you have concerns, it would be most appropriate to contact the new skipper about the issues and try and make a difference. Posting here gives us something to "chew" on but doesn't help that individual or his potential crew. JMHO.

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

More like The Whale Ship ESSEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Sammy,

If you have a chance, you could write a (kindly) PM to the new skipper about the very issues you're posting here. It is quite possible that the new skipper doesn't know much about sailing and could appreciate the info if it is presented in a nice way.
I have thought for some time (having read all of the "cruising narratives" section) that a survey, open to members AND visitors, asking how much experience was acquired before setting off into the "big blue" would give some very interesting results.

Pete
Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion40 View Post
I have thought for some time (having read all of the "cruising narratives" section) that a survey, open to members AND visitors, asking how much experience was acquired before setting off into the "big blue" would give some very interesting results.

Pete
Yes, I think it would. Cruisers seem to be an um...opinionated group when it comes to "what it takes" to succeed. But, many people gain the experience as they go along and do a fine, fine job of picking it all up quickly.

I do think that one needs to have pretty sound sailing experience and that's sometimes hard to come by. Also, some folks are more adept at "roughing it" than others. So, while it seems downright impossible to imagine 5 or 6 folks on a 30' sailboat...I do know of two such groups of people--one a family, the other a group of college students--who did cruise successfully with 5 folks aboard a 30' boat. It can be done.

Its nice to hear about the clever ways that people overcome obstacles to achieving the cruising lifestyle. I hope this fellow who's inherited the boat will have some kind folks help him/her find the way to safe and successful adventures on the high seas.

fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote