Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Admiral

I have just been contacted by a guy in the US who is offering a Storfidra (same boat type as mine) free of charge to anyone who is prepared to take on the daunting task of completely refurbishing the boat. These are fantastic seaboats and this may be an great opportunity for a handy person who has the time and knowledge to get him or herself a cruising yacht at very low cost.

If anyone is interested then contact me and I will forward the guy's contact details

Here is what he wrote.

I have a 1971 Storfidra HULL in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

NO MAST NO ENGINE PREVIOUSLY SUNK and partially full of water from rain storms It is FLOATING at a wet slip in working marina that could pull it out and set it on the hard for work for about +/- $100.00US than the $300.00US I am now paying for wet slip. I have owned boat since 1977. I am now 61 yrs old and finally realize I will never rebuild boat agagin It was once a BEAUTIFUL boat that I spent a fortune on maintaining. It now has NO mast OR STANDING RIGGING (hurricane LONG story) BUT mast and rigging avail NEW from Per Selden in Sweden old engine was volvo replaced with BMW 12hp engine now gone not in boat. Basic hull and (once clean) TEAK interior intact

BOTTOM LINE: I will GIVE BOAT AWAY for NOTHING I have 4 hank on Harken headsails + spinaker in storage.

someone could have a great boat virtually new again. I know it is FAR away but it can be shipped from Ft. Lauderdale to anywhere. I am NOT going to handle that for someone (boat is FREE) I am probably daydreaming you have anyone with an interest but these are VERY RARE boats and truly not appreciated by most Americans due to deep draft heavy keels etc.

I guess it is like a classic car you find in a barn that has to be restored; you have to do it a lot out of love not for money (or you cannot afford a restored one)

I said FREE BOAT!! Take over slip rent of $300.00 US per month with credit card payment taken automatically monthly and it can stay here as long as you want. I have been paying slip rent for yrs thinking I would REDO boat again and it is time to just let it go on to someone else. This boat NEEDS a major refit but it is FREE to someone who will bring it back to life and appreciate it. I singlehanded it from Va. to Fl. in 1981 TRULY a great boat like NO OTHER in it's size class SEAWORTHY BOAT for 25 ft.

It WAS Coast Guard documented (expired) as the MATRIX title by bill of sale and if you want to redocument or whatever that is your expense Title is clean NO LIENS.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Ah, that could be a wonderful project for someone wanting to refit and outfit a boat themselves. I hope someone comes along with the skill and desire to make this one into a fine little cruiser.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A great boat for someone.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Man... If I hadn't just bought a boat this year I would be all over that... I'm sure someone will snatch it soon enough.

as to free boats, I know a guy up here in Scituation who has a nice old 30ft WWII Navy Whaler he is giving away... he glassed it over, decked it, and turned it into a sailboat in the 60's. It's actually in decent shape... it's been on the hard for about 15 years and a lot of the wood has gone soft but nothing a good soaking in penetrating epoxy wouldn't fix in short order... 2ft draft board up 6 board down...

if anyone is interested in this one either drop me a line and I'll pass his info on... if I can find it

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

... and for the cruising sailors in our community I have something that brings you back to the roots of sailing: a small fibreglass centerboarder of about 12 ft, sitting in my garage, just receiving a new paint job. Nice for sailing from the beach, no engine, no technics, just two sails, two sheets and that's it! Sitting on a trailer and can be towed by almost any car anywhere.

But coming back to NAUSIKAAs post:

The Storfidra is indeed a perfect cruising boat for a small crew and a small budged. The best of all: even though it is just a 25ft boat it has standing headroom! An importand criteria on a cruising boat. But as today's small yachts of that size also feature enough headroom and even have a seperate head-compartment (even with sink and shower) the Storfidra does not have, the Storfidra is still much more seaworthy by construction (long keel of almost 50%ballast) and sturdyness (heavily built)!

And doing a refit on a 25ft boat is quite another task than anything bigger. Timewise and moneywise.

I love Storfidras

Another one back on the seas would be great.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Admiral

I find this impossible to believe but not one single person has contacted me about this fantastic offer.

Maybe it sounds too good to be true?

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I find this impossible to believe but not one single person has contacted me about this fantastic offer.

Maybe it sounds too good to be true?

Aye // Stephen
Hello Nausikaa.I am freenorthwest and as a newly registered member I would like to respond to your post concerning the Storfidra hull.I came across your post while googling the Storfidra and my eyes popped out.I cannot believe you have not been contacted about your offer.I for one,am very interested and look forward to communicating with you.I will wait for your reply and go from there.Thanks sincerely , and have a great day Please e-mail elija@att.net
Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Admiral

E-mail sent

www.nausikaa.org.uk