Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 AM   #41
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Global Warming is caused by Hot Air

Nice one!

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #42
Lieutenant

"Weatherman" was part joke.

The Earth cooled 500 years ago. These weather experts have not found out why. I find it hard to believe that they know a cause for "Global Warming". The Earth warms and cools. No 2 years are the same. The experts cannot even tell where the biggest storms are going to hit several days in advance. I cannot believe them whern then tell me what is going to happen with the weather several years from now and if Humans had anything to do with it. It could have been a big fires or volcanos or the lack of them.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #43
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Worth reading...

http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/Monckton...e_cancelled.pdf
Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #44
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
Very interesting reading.

Quote: Margaret Beckett, the Foreign Secretary, compared climate sceptics to advocates of Islamic terror. Neither, she said, should have access to the media.

Good grief! It appears nowadays that anybody disagreeing with a govt on any issue risks being labeled in the same category as terrorists
I think this is only the British Government. Its just an excuse to be able to push up taxes. I think they want to squeeze us till we're dry and then they will think of something else which will either put up taxes or put prices up. Still it takes the attention away from Iraq and Afghanistan and the problems we have in the Inner cities in fact its just not Inner cities with the problems its nearly everywhere now.

That report from Monckton makes very interesting reading and seems to dispel many of the myths that we are told to believe.

WINDFARMS

The fact that wind farms have been proved useles by Denmark doesnt seem to wash off on the UK Government (They think they are doing the green bit so it keeps some voters happy) They are intent on building a couple of farms out to sea from Broadstairs unfortunately this is on the Falls bank about 8 miles off the coast just on the edge of the Shipping Lanes right were the 'Tricolor' was sunk a few years ago, even with bouys, sirens and a guard boat 3 other ships managed to hit it!! What will happen when a Container Ship or Bulk Carrier or equivilant loses power (which is not uncommon in the Straits of Dover) It will just wipe them out like 9 pins.

All the local government say is " It will be good for employment"

Nothing wrong with a good Nuclear Power Station although I expect that will get the green brigade going.

Not enough people stand up to anything these days they just seem to accept it try and get on with their lives if only they could see what damage this is doing to their country and to their World and more importantly themselves.

Steve
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Now that REALLY was interesting reading. I have not read anything as thrilling for a long time. Just goes to show how our dear politicians are doing a very effective "whitewash" job. The question though is why? What do they hope to gain by it? As far as I can see, after having read the document, the greatest effect will be the demise of western industry, technology and medical care.

All I ask for from politicians is that they tell the truth. Is that to much to ask for? It probably is nothing other than a sign of nievity on my part.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #46
Admiral

It is all the more reason I just want to push off from shore for 5 years and get the noise of politics out of my daily life.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #47
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Truthful politician just has to be the oxymoron of the 20/21st century! It's not so much that they aren't honest, it's just that they - not unlike the majorities they "represent" - are almost totally incapable of understanding the wealth of often conflicting (scientific) opinion with which we are all bombarded on a daily basis.

The difference between them and us, the plebs, is their political motivation, their desire for (short term) power/wealth and their willingness to adopt and espouse the view that, where's there's conflict, one side must be right and the other wrong to get it.

Like "Sorry, I was wrong", "I don't understand" and "I don't know" do not form part of their vocabulary because their use would suggest the sort of weakness which doesn't win votes!

If we really want truthful politicians/leaders, those of us who enjoy a democratic form of governance have the answer in our own hands - for the rest, it'll just have to be bloody revolution!

Too much beer's making me windy - I think I'll have to go onto scotch!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #48
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have spent my last 25 years reporting exclusively on politics and have become so firmly cynical that only a long cruise will undo the damage. I am betting that some present day junior pollies in the US, UK, OZ, NZ etc. will be polishing lecterns with their suit sleeves in 30 years time proclaiming victory in the global warming fight due solely to the dilligence of their party predecessors and "The economic pain endured by our long suffering constituents....But now, as you prepare to cast your vote, I can restate the victory which WE alone shaped....Blah, blah, blab, blab, BS, BS, BS.....".

My major concern is for my own wellfare....Both sides of politics in the NT, have been trying to convince me for years that I would have had a golden future in politics.....What a damned insult!

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #49
Admiral

Sounds like a plan. But I ask, what happens after the 5yrs???

Fair question and I have formulated a plan...goes something like this:

Buy plot of land near beach somewhere in Southern Hemisphere, build a pub, power the pub with solar panels, serve my drinks cold using dry ice.

Said pub will have 24/7 coverage of Auzzee rules Rugby and American Football...then again I've thought about buying a Black Opal mine.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #50
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

KiwiAussie,

The point about voting is that it's a continuum not a one off event every three, four or five years. There's a long established management principle about those who shout hardest and longest getting what they want (short term) - it's the only way to get rid of them (to get on with the important things!).

The vast majority of those of us who actually bother to vote move back to the sidelines very soon after when, in reality, we really should stay on the park and support our chosen striker. We're talking here about winning the game of life where, like any other game, spectators may think they do but don't actually ever win.

In the dim and distant days when I was working, I heard and used the addage about "whinging your way into obscurity" many time. If you want to get something done, you've really got to do something about it - booing from the touchline just don't work. A good start would be holdng our elected politicians to account by getting a few more of us shouting a little louder, a little more often; it's a bit like ju-jitsu but using their own drivers to get them to stop and think, take a stance, or move them in the right(!)direction or otherwise change colour.

All that booze has left me a bit peckish. Anyone fancy a kebab or curry?

PS: I've just watched an item on UK breakfast TV in which a very attractive young female, dare I say minor celebrity, now playing the role of someone or other's ambassador to the third world on the national stage made a statement along the lines of, "...we've caused this global warming and we haven't got much time to put it right...."!

Forget the kebab! Anyone fancy another drink?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #51
Admiral

In ancient times humans were known to sacrifice their children for rain…and today, we have just as much control and influence on the weather and those who will stand atop a monument demanding sacrifice.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #52
Lieutenant

norwestsailer wrote:

WINDFARMS

What will happen when a Container Ship or Bulk Carrier or equivilant loses power (which is not uncommon in the Straits of Dover) It will just wipe them out like 9 pins.

All the local government say is "It will be good for employment"

Good grief! (again!). How can something that highly risks being an economical failure be good for employment???

They have put aside part of Ramsgate Harbour to make these things They hope that a contract to build and service all S Eastern Windmills also there will be service engineers to go out and inspect,repair etc.

Theres not a mention about all the businesses which are there already having to relocate How many people does it take to build a windmill?

They have about 50 Windmills off Whitstable and during the Jan/Feb nearly 60% of them were out of order due to gearbox problems

Reason for Gearbox problems according to the manufacturers TOO WINDY!!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #53
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Sounds like a plan. But I ask, what happens after the 5yrs???

Fair question and I have formulated a plan...goes something like this:

Buy plot of land near beach somewhere in Southern Hemisphere, build a pub, power the pub with solar panels, serve my drinks cold using dry ice.

Said pub will have 24/7 coverage of Auzzee rules Rugby and American Football...then again I've thought about buying a Black Opal mine.
If you have a nice secluded bay to anchor in I'll come and join you!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #54
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The creed of every successful politician has but two single rules.

1) get elected.

2) get re-elected.

Based on the truism that voters have short memories and that all lies become truth if they are repeated often enough, it is easy to understand why progress on the big issues is stagnant while progress on the short term, small issues is always peaked in the six months prior to an election.

Global warming, the Kyoto protocol, carbon emissions trading credits are cliches more about points (1) and (2) above, than they are about any genuine plan to save the polar bear.

Wot...me cynical?

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #55
Admiral

all this about politicians reminds me of a little story........

A politician died and knocked at the gates of Heaven which were duly opened by St. Peter who said,

'We don't get many of your type here. Politicians are very rare in Heaven. We have however our rules of admission and they say that you have to spend a day in Hell then a day in Heaven and then you choose where you want to spend eternity.'

No sooner said than done. The politician ended up in Hell and was amazed to see well manicured golf courses, neat club houses, well kept tennis courts and many of his political friends. The food was great with lots of braaied meat and the drinks kept on flowing. In short, he had a great time in Hell.

The next day he found himself in Heaven. Heaven was a quiet, peaceful place with fine, soft harp music playing. Walks beside bubbling brooks could be enjoyed and the food was healthy, well prepared with lots of vegetables.

The following morning St. Peter appeared again. 'Well', he asked, ' now is the time to make your choice, where is it to be ? Heaven or Hell?'

The politician mused a few seconds and said, 'Heaven is beautiful, but Hell seems to be more fun. I'll stay there.'

Instantly the politician ends up in Hell but instead of golf courses and tennis courts everyone is dressed in working clothes and shovelling **** (manure?) from one pile to another. The Devil is whipping them into action. The politician then asks the Devil,' What' happened to the golf courses, the food, the tennis courts?'

'Oh', said the Devil, 'That was yesterday. We had an election campaign on. Now you have cast your vote it is back to reality.'

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #56
Ensign

Global Laughingstock on the altar of Global Warming

The sailing link to global warming.

LINK TO ARTICLE
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #57
Ensign

Being from interior Alaska where temps are -40 and colder in the winter and my sailing season is only 3 months long... Hey, I'm all for global warming! If man is responsible keep up the good work!

Mike O
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #58
Admiral

Gotta love it! Where is Al when someone needs him?

So as Wrong Way Flanagan, who has turned himself into a Global Laughingstock on the altar of Global Warming, remains trapped in the arctic perhaps someone would be kind enough send him a copy of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth for him to pass the time while waiting for the ice to melt and for the endangered polar bears to go away.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #59
Ensign

Here on the Long Island Sound, 18,000 yrs ago the north coast was a one mile high ice sheet. The Earth has been warming a while. I believe that the overwhelming environmental problem on the planet is there are too many monkeys in trousers. Solve that problem and every other problem disappears. If we allow populations to grow, all our problems magnify. If we do not reduce the human population to one billion or so we will always be consuming resources above the replacement rate. I don't know too many adults who have any faith in "Global Treaties". We have to remember the Earth has cycled through multiple ice ages and warming periods. The source problem of accelerated warming is overpopulation. We will be treating a patient who is coughing due to lung cancer with cough medicine. You have to get to source of the problem. Attempting to reduce hydrocarbon combustion in the face of expanding population is a FOOL'S ERRAND. We have to stabilize the source of the problem first if we want to significantly reduce CO2. Nobody can answer whether or not CO2 has enough clout to overcome the natural cycles of the planet. It is impossible to predict. Luckily 3/4 of the planet is covered with water.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #60
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelin View Post
The source problem of accelerated warming is overpopulation. Luckily 3/4 of the planet is covered with water.
Get rid of all those people who don't know how to sail or know how to use a contraceptive ??