Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Ensign

Default How do I get started?

Hi all,

I'm a 25 yr old female in the UK. My office job contract is ending in July and I have decided enough is enough- time to see the world, and work my way round. Someone mentioned to me that getting a deckhand position on a yacht/yachts might be a good way to do this, and having looked into it I am a bit overwhelmed. I think I'd be good at it- I'm sporty and adventurous, but I have no experience and no contacts.

1st off, how qualified do you have to be (for paid and non paid jobs)? I have six months before my job ends- would this be enough time to learn? (I have never been sailing!)

2ndly am I best off trying to sort out a job before I leave, or when I get to the caribbean?

3rdly are the jobs advertised for female only crew as dodgy as they sound, or am I just being over anxious?!

If someone could help me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Lu

Old 03-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
here to sail

Home Port: Karlshamn
Vessel Name: Furaha

Hello,

I'm in the much the same situation, allthough I think things are sorted now, I hope!

So how qualified to get paid work? It seems like the shores are crawling with people looking to get a paid position as crew on a yacht, delivery jobs etc. The problem people have is finding the skipper. A skipper needs an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) in almost all cases nowdays, for insurance if nothing else. In other words, experiance and an RYA quali. like Yachtmaster offshore or Ocean. Paid work without experiance, I'd say small chance.

Unpaid, or "pay your way/shared expenses" sailing is the thing to go for... and even that people would like to know that you'd be of some use and not hanging over the side being sick for the entire voyage =) Don't loose your hopes though, I think it's very possible for you to get a place on a yacht even though your completely un-experianced, plenty of people do. You have the fact that your a girl going for you... and I don't think that is just male envy speaking. 6 months is ample time if you've got the money... However I don't think it is enough to get paid work guaranteed, simply bacause you wont have time to put enough sea miles under your belt.

I dont know much about your second question... Allthough I've heard that hanging around a marina that is the start-point for a lengthy voyage like Antigua for a transat is not allways so successfull. People want to get to know you through short day cruises etc. before they take you aboard for a long journey across an ocean.

'Female only' crew jobs? I don't know because I'm a guy. However they do seem a bit 'dodgy' like you say. There are of course All Girl boats cruising. I just wish they'd let me join them, as a small exception to the rule

Anyway, good luck!

Old 12-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
rfb
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to rfb

Hi Lubylu,

I'm intersted to hear how your adventures gone. I'm 25 years old, from canada and have also quit my job with the dream of sailing..

Were you able to find some time on a boat? Are you still traveling or did it just suck, and your back in the office (blech.)

-Ryan