Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Ensign

I'm very new on this forum but after reading it I'm enjoying it very much.

Has anyone out there figured out how to make a small amt. of money while cruising ? I'm planning on the Caribbean and Florida where I now reside as my cruising grounds. I can cut hair,weld (tig ), scuba as in bottom cleaning. I have also written several articles and columns for local newspapers as well.

I don't need to make a whole lot of money just something to keep me going. I plan to leave sometime next year (winter probably).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jerrry

Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

WELCOME,

AHHHHHHHH, the old money problem. Cruisers do make money along the way. The unfortunate thing is when in foreign countries you will be competing with the locals. Who will most likely be a whole lot cheaper than you. Getting caught making money in foreign countries could lead to some kind of troubles if you are working illegally. Everybody wants a piece of the pie it seems.

Unless you are an exceptional deisel mechanic, or wizard at electronics. You may find it difficult? BEST WISHES in finding a way to go, and stay out there......i2f

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldagotts View Post
I'm very new on this forum but after reading it I'm enjoying it very much.

Has anyone out there figured out how to make a small amt. of money while cruising ? I'm planning on the Caribbean and Florida where I now reside as my cruising grounds. I can cut hair,weld (tig ), scuba as in bottom cleaning. I have also written several articles and columns for local newspapers as well.

I don't need to make a whole lot of money just something to keep me going. I plan to leave sometime next year (winter probably).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jerrry
Hi, Jerry,

I would suggest you "soar with your strengths" and don't get into doing something that you "can do" but are not extremely proficient at doing. Typically, picking up an odd job means doing something for less money than the local vendors. So, you'd better be quick and good at the task if you want to make something close to minimum wage. Else, stop by the local hotels, bars, eating places and look for the clean up/dishwasher type jobs to make a little cash from place to place.

If you're talking about US places and you're a US citizen (so you can work w/o getting into troubles), you shouldn't have a problem picking up a few odd jobs around the marinas if you let people know your skills. That can get you a little cash. I'm always amazed by how many boat owners (including cruisers) there are who won't clean their own hull. I just don't get it. But, hey, there's some money for the person willing to clean hulls. Again, price it right so you're not working for nothin'

If you're good with brightwork, that's another money-maker at the marinas. Other boat maintenance activities are worth knowing and you might be able to market them from time to time as well.

Welders always seem to be in demand--if you carry your own gear, AWS cert (if you're not a certified welder, you might want to brush up at community college and take the exams) and put the word out, probably many small jobs would come your way. Even if not, sometimes local shops can use help.

Oddly enough, another marketable skill (in the USA) is that of bartender as I've heard from many voyagers who happen to have bartend experience is that there's always a job, private party, etc.

Better yet is to find something that brings you a residual income. Owning real estate that brings in rents; having investments that bring you dividends; and so forth.

If those aren't realistic options, you can consider starting a business that allows you to do something on the boat which you can sell via vendors in your home country or via the web. Not big money makers but a small income stream can be had if you're an artist and can produce jewelry, photography, drawings, what-not which can be sold via a gallery. I did this in college to help my expenses and must say it does add up if you have a marketable product and a relationship with a gallery or gift shop to sell your work.

Finally, there are internet-based businesses that do very well. Here, you'd have to have knowledge of a needed product and set up to have orders taken online and drop shipped by the vendors or set up an Amazon.com store. A little more overhead and risk, but it might be worth your while.

Best of luck to you in your cruising and activities to keep the cruising kitty healthy

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldagotts View Post
No, Jerry I have not. However, I very good on spending a sizable amt. of money while cruising. If you need good ideas there I can help.

Fair Winds

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I'm quite certain I know how, however I'm having a difficult time convincing the wife that a couple of beautiful blonde 20yo deckhands would be a great idea.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
I'm quite certain I know how, however I'm having a difficult time convincing the wife that a couple of beautiful blonde 20yo deckhands would be a great idea.
How olds the wife? ... you know what they say... Keep her till she's 40 then swap her in for two 20 years olds!! ... it may be that time.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Nah...I couldn't deal with 20 year olds when I was 20 years old.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

Consider doing an advanced outboard mechanic course. Collect as many manuals as you can along with a few spare parts and tools. Almost every port we have dropped into someone is struggling with their outboard engine. In the Torres Strait (OZ) where the 'tinny' is basically the family car, there is one struggling mechanic trying to service thousands of the blighters. From Broome to Cairns across the top of Oz - trying to find someone who can and has the time to look at your outboard is like searching for the Holy Grail.

I'd be very very surprised if this wasn't a similar complaint all over. Sure - as cruisers we should all at least know the basics of servicing our outboards but for my money (strickly cash in hand thank you ) I'd say that there are far more that don't. Let a few cruisers in a far away anchorage know you can breathe new life into an old motor and just see how many knocks on your hull you get

I did briefly consider selling my body to assist with the cruising fund but as wifey gently put it - 'you look crap in fishnets and heels'

fair winds
Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
True story!

Last year an older couple in our marina with a large motor launch had to take it from Cairns to Brisbane. At the last minute the wife decided she didn't want to go as the weather was a little on the wet and miserable side. There was a big argument dockside when hubby tried to get her to change her mind and concluded with 'I'm not going and that's final - find yourself some other crew to help you! - I'm flying down!'

A week went passed and low and behold, we all look up from our weekend chores to see hubby firing up the engines and loading supplies. Someone yelled across the pen 'So you're going then?' 'Yes, came the reply, I got some help'.

Shortly after, three tanned and buxom young women came through the gate with their belongs and climbed aboard. Your classic blond haired backpackers.

I tell you, even with one of them falling in trying to cast off, and the vessel motoring out trailing dock lines, fenders and tangled dinghy - you could not have erased the mile-wide grin on the skippers face with an angle grinder!

Strangely enough - a lot more couples are sailing together this season