Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
n/a

Default Need nautical software must be Free ware

We are putting together a web page of all know free Nautical software (called free ware) if you know of any web site that has free downloads of software that would be of interest to sailors please could you give us the link all the best PAUL at NeptuneNet.net
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi,

Please, please post the URL here when your site is up and running. In the mean time,, I'll go through my stuff and see what free and shreware I've got.

All the best,

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Loup de mer

Hi, you mean something like this?:

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

wolfgang
Old 01-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Lieutenant

The Sea Clear II program is the only one I've found that is freeware. There are several demo programs you can play with but the Sea Clear II is not only free it is a great program, assuming you have the charts. In addition to (purchased) BSB charts , you can use scans of charts and calibrate the scan for use in the program. I've done that for 35 harbors in the Philippines and a few in Malaysia and have used them to good advantage.

But the simple fact remains that the honorable way to get charts is to pay for them. The caveat I have is that some thieving yachties are selling pirated copies of charts ... and that just isn't an honorable thing to do.

I'd be pleased to learn of any other freeware programs so will keep checking back here when I can.

Terry and Rose

Yacht VALHALLA
Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Software On Board is another program that may be of interest.

It comes with 15 C-MAP NT+ regional charts around the world that are in the most detail available. If you sail in one of those regions you will find this quite useful. Otherwise the additional areas will be a bit expensive.

Go to http://www.digiboat.com.au

Here's what they say:

"SOB is freely distributed for a 6 month trial period. Thereafter, SOB will revert to a LITE version (with some advanced features restricted or disabled) unless a User License is purchased. The LITE version will still be suitable for basic navigation, however we obviously recommend you purchase the User License so you can continue to use SOB with all its features and benefits. The User License for standard, private SOB use is USD50.00."