Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Rear Admiral
 
Harbor_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 323
Default

How Fortunate Could We Be?

Last evening we went next door to greet our new neighbors, of a foreign country.

Two weeks ago, we knew they were coming and which country they were coming from. We did not give a rip about the country of origin; our focus was on friendship, hospitality, social interaction, cultural education, and enlightening experiences.

They came from across the pond. He is here on a three contractor assignment. They speak English, but not very well.

We look forward to helping them out in their adjustment, being good neighbors, helping them learn our ways, (we already did that in many ways in our introductory hour and most pleasant visit), having them over for dinner regularly, entertaining them, learning what they like to eat, how they like to prepare food, what they call it (name it), and why they call soccer "foot ball". They had serious legal questions about the proper way to park. They were most confused.

We will take our new friends to a real, live Bronco's "football" game, park on the "right" (correct) side of the street, and treat them to "hamburgers" (GROUND meat - not mince) and hot dogs (not bangers), and teach our new neighbors from the U.K., how to speak "English"!

We hope to travel to their home in Wales and have they teach us a thing or two, or three, or four....

We like our new neighbors! It certainly is an enriching cultural experience!
__________________

__________________
When in doubt, do the right thing.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Retired Mod
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Home Port: Durban
Posts: 2,984
Default

Good one! You'll have to explain that strange American Football game you play over there as well.
__________________

__________________


The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Admiral
 
Nausikaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Default

In return, one of our South Afican, British, NZ or Oz friends might like to explain the rules of cricket........just don't be in a hurry. It will take some time!



Aye,

Stephen
__________________
Yacht NAUSIKAA | Call Sign: 2AJH2




WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Commander
 
Peter Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Default

Real difficulty here is that the national game of Wales, football, is probably not the game of soccer as you know it but football in the sense of Rugby Football.

The main difference is that football/soccer is defined as a game for gentlemen played by ruffians and (rugby) football - a contact sport vaguely similar to American Football but faster, more skilfull and played on a bigger pitch without all the padding, continual interruption for adverts, meaningless statitistics and time outs - the exact opposite!

Unlike American Football, of course, rugby is also a truly international sport with the next World Cup being played in France this summer.

Hope that this helps your international understanding and continues your otherwise laudable efforts to understand the those of us in the rest of the world!

Keep up the good work!
__________________
Peter Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Owen View Post
Real difficulty here is that the national game of Wales, football, is probably not the game of soccer as you know it but football in the sense of Rugby Football.

The main difference is that football/soccer is defined as a game for gentlemen played by ruffians and (rugby) football - a contact sport vaguely similar to American Football but faster, more skilfull and played on a bigger pitch without all the padding, continual interruption for adverts, meaningless statitistics and time outs - the exact opposite!

Unlike American Football, of course, rugby is also a truly international sport with the next World Cup being played in France this summer.

Hope that this helps your international understanding and continues your otherwise laudable efforts to understand the those of us in the rest of the world!

Keep up the good work!
-------------------------------------------

Real Rugby THE Super Fourteens

Week Fourteen

4 May Crusaders v Chiefs 19:35 07:35 Christchurch 24-30

4 May Force v Blues 19:05 12:05 Perth 6-33

5 May Highlanders v Brumbies 17:30 05:30 Dunedin 10-29

5 May Hurricanes v Waratahs 19:35 07:35 Wellington 14-38

5 May Lions v Cheetahs 15:00 14:00 Jo'Burg 10-16

5 May Stormers v Sharks 17:00 16:00 Cape Town 10-36

5 May Bulls v Reds 19:10 18:10 Pretoria 92-3 (New Super Rugby record)

Semi-finals

11/12 May tbc tbc tbc tbc

11/12 May tbc tbc tbc tbc

Final

19 May tbc tbc tbc tbc

Sharks now at the top of the table, together with Bulls in the Semi final
__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Retired Mod
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Home Port: Durban
Posts: 2,984
Default

Two S African teams in the semi's - maybe better at rugby than cricket?

Up the SHARKS!
__________________


The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Admiral
 
Auzzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Posts: 1,822
Default

......And, as for the rules of cricket.....There is 20 over cricket, 50 over cricket and unlimited over cricket. An 'over' consists of six balls. In all forms of the game, one bloke runs towards you at full tilt, then hurls a lump of highly compressed cork at your head as fast as he can.

It can arrive at your face at over 150kmh. You try to hit the bloody thing with your bat. If you are successful you run like hell up and down the pitch until someone in the field returns the ball. Then it starts over again. After six balls the action recommences from the other end of the pitch.

If you hit the ball and someone else catches it, you take a walk because you have lost your wicket (unless of course it was a wide or a no-ball).The team with the most 'runs' , and with the least wickets-lost usually, but not always, wins. A game can last for five days. Even the referees don't understand the rules of the game. To be a true cricket fan you need to understand terms like 'googly', 'silly mid-off', 'short leg', 'long-on' and phrases like 'bowledimneckancrop', 'comprehensivelyyorkedim', 'oohaahglenmcgrath', 'grabbusanothercoldiemate' and 'waddayamean'notout'yasillybloodyprawn'.

Like soccer and rugby (league and union), but unlike baseball and american football the world championships most often, involve the whole world.

And therein, my friends, is everything you need to know about cricket.....except of course for the fact that OZ JUST WON THE WORLD CUP!!
__________________
"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!


Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
..... To be a true cricket fan you need to understand terms like 'googly', 'silly mid-off', 'short leg', 'long-on' and Orstraulian phrases like 'bowledimneckancrop', 'comprehensivelyyorkedim', 'oohaahglenmcgrath', 'grabbusanothercoldiemate' and 'waddayamean'notout'yasillybloodyprawn'.

And therein, my friends, is everything you need to know about cricket.....except of course for the fact that OZ JUST WON THE WORLD CUP!!
Sir, (from the back of the class)

What did the straain "wrong'un" have to do with a chap from China ?

Sir ?
__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Admiral
 
Auzzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Posts: 1,822
Default

Well, ya see......China, as everyone knows, can only be reached by drilling straight through the earth's core. As a consequence, everything is upside down...reversed as it were. Ergo, when a left hander (Oz=kackhander) bowls an 'off-break' rather than an 'inney' to a right handed batsman, the bowler was 'accused ' of bowling as if he were from China. This became known as sending down a 'chinaman' and thus became a legitimate cricket term. But then, the politically correct arbiters of all that is good and wholesome in the world, told us that the chinese might be a tad miffed at the reference, so the term was modified to 'wrong-un' (coz it just looks wrong), which nowadays does not necessarily only refer to cackhanders, but to all 'leggies' who send down an 'offie' to an opposite hander, usually from around the wicket.

At least that's wot I fink! And another thing....it's 'Straya'.....that's the country...and we speak "stray-yan'. Ok?

David.

"if you don't know what you're talking about, say it with confidence and most people will believe you".
__________________
"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!


Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Well, ya see......China, as everyone knows, can only be reached by drilling straight through the earth's core. As a consequence, everything is upside down...reversed as it were. Ergo, when a left hander (Oz=kackhander) bowls an 'off-break' rather than an 'inney' to a right handed batsman, the bowler was 'accused ' of bowling as if he were from China. This became known as sending down a 'chinaman' and thus became a legitimate cricket term. But then, the politically correct arbiters of all that is good and wholesome in the world, told us that the chinese might be a tad miffed at the reference, so the term was modified to 'wrong-un' (coz it just looks wrong), which nowadays does not necessarily only refer to cackhanders, but to all 'leggies' who send down an 'offie' to an opposite hander, usually from around the wicket.

At least that's wot I fink! And another thing....it's 'Straya'.....that's the country...and we speak "stray-yan'. Ok?

David.

"if you don't know what you're talking about, say it with confidence and most people will believe you".
Well, all is revealed ! Can't even spell besides getting half the question wrong, even if the answer was delivered with confidence !

Also noted that no confident response provided for Strayas chances in the Super 14's
__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
Admiral
 
Auzzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Posts: 1,822
Default

One in four is fair odds in the ruggers. Didn't want to upset anyone from South Africa after the result in the cricket.....But we remain Kwaietly cornfedant!

HeHe!
__________________
"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!


Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
Commander
 
Spike_dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 149
Default

Cricket is very similar to American Baseball...Both are great tranquilizers and are guarantied not to produce an addiction. Only real difference is a 150 kmh cricket fastball would be considered a slow ball in the US. Neither game has the cheerleaders of US football, which makes it a much better spectator sport then rugby.
__________________
A`ohe `ulu e loa`a i ka pokole o ka lou.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Admiral
 
Nausikaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Default

Of course, a purist would say that the cheerleaders are a distraction.... How I love being distracted and thank goodness cheerleaders have found their way into Rugby.....it even is plaster on the sore of a defeat for the Stormers at Newlands

Stephen
__________________
Yacht NAUSIKAA | Call Sign: 2AJH2




WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike_dawg View Post
Cricket is very similar to American Baseball...Both are great tranquilizers and are guarantied not to produce an addiction. Only real difference is a 150 kmh cricket fastball would be considered a slow ball in the US. Neither game has the cheerleaders of US football, which makes it a much better spectator sport then rugby.
-----------------------------------------------------

There is a huge difference between being hit by a cricket ball at silly mid off and by being hit by baseball at first base. In the first scenario they call a priest! :icon_boohoo1:
__________________

__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0