Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi everybody,

The sailboat: Glander “Cay” is a blue water pocket cruiser built like a tank (Full Description, Specs, Work completed, Work to be done and Pictures upon request).

My father, Dick Dunn, purchased the hull for this boat in 1981, and designed and built the cabin top, cockpit and everything necessary for the ambitious goal of sailing solo across the Atlantic. He finished everything except the interior and launched the boat in July 2003. But by then, the sun and rain had begun to damage the original fiberglass/balsa core cabin top and cockpit and large sections of the bright work. It sat outside for a few more years and things got worse. I wanted to help him fulfill his dream where his health and finances were lacking. So, after he decided to give me the boat in 2005, I tore off everything topside that was good or bad, down to the last layer of fiberglass, removed all the fittings and rigging, and hired a fiberglass professional to rebuild it properly and gel coat it. I also hired some boat carpenters to build the hatches, install the windows, rebuild the sole, and refurbish the inboard engine. Unfortunately, that cost twice as much as anticipated, and I ran out of money and enthusiasm.

Now 2 years later, I realize that I do not have the money, the time, or the expertise to finish the interior and other items (see below). Still, I would like to see it get finished by someone who will take pride in doing it right and keep it for many years of cruising to the Bahamas, the Carribean, or beyond.

Given the poor market for boats at this time, I will give the boat to the most experienced sailor who can convince me he or she has the money, expertise, and time to finish this 30-year long dream within the next year or two and take me sailing at least once. I don't want to see it get fixed up cheaply and sold to someone in Winconsin.

I am open to ideas, comments and serious takers. Please email or call and leave a message for John Tel: 540-552-7156

Description:

The Glander Cay as described by the engineers of Glander Boats/ Tiki Water Sports in Key Largo, FL:

The Cay is an offshore cruising and racing boat originally designed by Herreshoff with interior and rigging improvements modified by Harold S. Glander, the founder of the company.

The fiberglass hull molded in one piece is a balanced hand lay-up with alternate layers of 1 1/2 oz. mat and a 24 oz. woven roving which is approx. 3/8 " thick at the sheer, gradually increasing in thickness to 5/8 " at the keel, forming an extra strong rigid hull 2200 lbs. of lead ballast was carried inside the hollow keel. In the cabin there is an amazing 5'10" of headroom, which also is outfitted to include four berths, a galley, head, hanging lockers and storage areas.

The first Cay was delivered in 1960. Only 112 were built over the years in that the Glander Company was and still is committed to quality over quantity. Like the other vessels produced by Glander, each was hand crafted and custom built. Over the years the Cay has not only found market acceptance, but the yachts have performed in ways ordinarily limited to much larger vessels. Cays have successfully completed transatlantic voyages on both east and west legs. For a small yacht they have distinguished themselves in an outstanding matter.

The 1984 model Cay incorporated all the old traditional craftsmanship. The buyer still had the option of purchasing a complete sail away Cay, or a kit, or even a hull alone. Production was limited as the concentration was on high quality and not volume. Orders were accepted on a first order basis and prices were competitive with similar production line boats

The Cay is an unusual boat for it's size and class. It's excellent speed does not detract from its seaworthiness or comfort.

The president of Glander Boats/ Tiki Water Sports, Mr Robert Chester, is committed to the tradition of excellence established by Mr. Glander over many years.

Specs:

L. O. A. 27'2" Ballast 1600 lbs. plus 600 lb. engine

L. W. L. 23' 8" Head Room 5'10"

Beam 8' Draft 3'

Displacement 7800 lbs. Sail Area: Main 186 sq. ft. Jib 164 sq. ft.

Work completed:

Completely new cabin top, deck, out of fiberglass and foam core

New large plexiglass windows, 2 portholes

New forward and main hatch.

Round cockpit locker for propane gas tank

Engine: Inboard Chinese Diesel 10 HP with less than 25 hours (Great condition, refurbished in ’08)

Fitted out for serious offshore blue water cruising.

Cutter rigged with multiple heavy shrouds and stays, oversized chainplates, fittings etc..

The 3 sails and rigging purchased in 2003 were only used once, and stored since (good condition).

Wheel steering set up for self steering.

Heavy ground tackle includes Danforth and plow anchors.

Interior forward bunks

2 bullwarks and thru hulls for head

After bunks/storage areas without tops, hull integrated tanks

Basic Electric circuits

9 foot fiberglass dinghy, 3 anchors, ores.

Lots of boating and cruising necessities

The boat is outside on a workable trailer which comes with the boat

Comments:

As of 1981, this same hull made 9 Atlantic Passages, with the only comment being it was a wet sail. Our design of the high cockpit walls should make it drier.

More pictures upon request

Work To Be Done:

I estimate it will cost between $5000 and $7000 for just the materials to do the following:

Buy stainless or build another type of bow pulpit (template built from treated lumber provided)

Strengthen and attach original stantions and buy and attach lifelines.

Buy and attach stern rail if desired.

Strengthen steel tiller and quick release mechanism for wheel steering, attach steering wheel, compass.

Build emergency tiller

Improve propane gas locker ventilation.

Buy and mount navigational equipment.

Attach all original exterior hardware, including chainplates, blocks, stanchions, hand holds, rigging, mast step, mast, etc.

Attach forward hatch, winches, traveler.

Remove old paint and primer, prepare and repaint hull

Buy and install rubrail.

Buy and install ventilation hatch, build dorade boxes and attach original dorade scoops.

Wire navigational lights

Engine: Attach throttle and shifter, cooler, and bilge lines. Buy and install air filter. Minor repair of fiberglass/ wooden engine mounts, build engine box, buy battery, fuel tank or bladder. Install thru-deck fuel and water hoses and caps.

Design and build the rest of the interior:

Possibly redo house and navigational wiring,

Install headliner and ceiling, cabinets, table and bench seating, Galley, Nav station.

Buy and intall head, holding tank.

Build chain locker, lightening rod, after bunk tops, hand holds, forward water tanks/bladders.

Install forward bunk tops.

Paint entire interior. Build and install stairs. Buy cushions, curtains, shades mosquito netting, storage hammics, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
2003_before_cabin_restoration.jpg   2004_Begin_Restoration_small.JPG   wholeboat_with_gel_coat_sm.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Ensign

holy cow...finally a boat i can afford. My name is Pat. I'm local..plam Beach county. please call me 561.8807331. I am very very interested.

thank you,

Pat

yummyyard AT yahoo.com

Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Pat - hope you get it!

Also click on the poster's username (in left column) - "View profile" and send him a direct email.

Good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Happy to report that this wonderful project has been given to someone who is enthusiastic and capable of restoring the boat to her former glory (and beyond). Hopefully, we'll get some progress reports and a photo here of the relaunch. We wish her new owner many years of happy sailing.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Happy to report that this wonderful project has been given to someone who is enthusiastic and capable of restoring the boat to her former glory (and beyond). Hopefully, we'll get some progress reports and a photo here of the relaunch. We wish her new owner many years of happy sailing.
Oh, I'm really looking forward to hearing about the progress and the eventual sailing of this boat!

Good luck to the new owner!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Oh, I'm really looking forward to hearing about the progress and the eventual sailing of this boat!

Good luck to the new owner!
Me too.