Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Ensign

All -

My father passed away last week, and mother wants to scatter his ashes at sea (or technically "at Bay" since we live on the Chesapeake in Maryland, USA).

Anyone have experience on the actual logistics ? Research shows US regulations state scattering 3 miles offshore, which will be a challenge. I recall hearing the "ashes" are relatively hard and may not be "wispy" and float away in the breeze... Almost seems we should decorate a biodegradable box and essentially sink them. (seems anti-climactic).

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback

Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Admiral

Our Condolences on your family's bereavement .

Here is a pdf copy of the US code on the subject .

Burial_at_sea.pdf

You may also need to check with the Maryland's own requirements.

In most coastal states of the US, there will be boats that can be hired to perform the simple ceremony and recording it on video showing exactly where and when.

Best Wishes

Richard

Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Admiral

Am I splitting hairs, or is my interpretation correct, the cremated remains can be scattered on ocean waters of ANY DEPTH, provided it is at least 3 miles from land - which, with regard to Chesapeake Bay, is anywhere in the middle of the lower bay. *It's salt, tidal, oceanic waters and distance from east shore to west shore is as much as 23 miles or so. *Easy to get 3 miles from any land.

Peter's scattered the ashes of friends several times in Narragansett Bay, but that was before the government got involved in the disposal of cremains. *Even nowadays, I doubt that anybody would notice a what a boat was doing three miles away from you.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Admiral

Interpretation correct. The depth factor only applies to the burial at sea of human remains that are not cremated.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Ensign

I've attended the burial at sea of my friend's uncle and I there was no problem with the ashes. They were as light as feather . I think I would would consider.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Ensign

You should do what will be the most meaningful to you and your family. Do it when and where you would like and keep it private.....it is always the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post

All -

My father passed away last week, and mother wants to scatter his ashes at sea (or technically "at Bay" since we live on the Chesapeake in Maryland, USA).

Anyone have experience on the actual logistics ? Research shows US regulations state scattering 3 miles offshore, which will be a challenge. I recall hearing the "ashes" are relatively hard and may not be "wispy" and float away in the breeze... Almost seems we should decorate a biodegradable box and essentially sink them. (seems anti-climactic).

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback