Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Baby Steps

I've used the cruiserlog forum once before. I found a ship to sail on from Thailand to Turkey and the trip was amazing.

Now I've come back to utilize this resource and it's been cut off from "public" use? I'm not sure what the qualifier is to be able to use it, since I see other people using it. Perhaps they are all "regular contributors" to the other forums. What do I need, a certain post count or time with an open account?

I understand the problem, there are a bunch of scam artists out there who claim to be Nigerian princes with yachts that they need staffed for measly wages starting around $5000/mo, directly deposited into your bank account if you would just be so kind as to provide your bank account information. (This I never understood, since your account number and your routing number are on the bottom of every check you write, why don't they sell something worth $5 to you for $1 and then take the intel off your check?)

And then there are the sailing holiday people, who have a yacht and extra berths so why not charge someone $20-$40/day to work on your boat for you? Great deal, they get experience, you get a deckhand and a little extra cash to make your boat payment or pay for those inevitable money sucking repairs/replacements/&c.

So anyway, what is the solution for me here? Do I go around in the forums and post until my count gets to 100 or 1000 or whatever I need to qualify to actually post in the crew finder section? Do I post a "seeking ship" thread here in general discussion?

Since I'm here (and if this is against the rules I will gladly delete my post, I'm not interested in ruffling feathers or breaking rules), I am a 32/m American living in California. I am a Firefighter/EMT and looking to sail. No specific origin or destination in mind, cheaper flights are better of course. I sailed two handed from Thailand to Yemen on a 37ft sloop-rigged racing yacht by name of Quickstep which was about 2 months, hours of darkness, four hour shifts with one 2/2 hour "dog watch" to change it up. I have money to pay for my flight to and from wherever, buy my own food or contribute to the grocery bill, pay for my visas and generally be self sufficient. I don't have any of my own kit by way of life-jacket, storm gear, &c. Also I am "Rescue Diver" certified through PADI.

If you want more details or to chat, respond here or email bearpalomo@yahoo.com

Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist' date='20 July 2010 - 06:04 PM View Post

I've used the cruiserlog forum once before. I found a ship to sail on from Thailand to Turkey and the trip was amazing.
I assume that you haven't visited any other part of the Cruiser Log than the crewfinder. Am I correct? If I am not, I'm curious why the only two times you have posted on the Cruiser Log has been to find a boat to crew on. There has been no sharing of your knowledge or experience, no sharing of that amazing trip from Thailand to Turkey.

When the moderators voiced their concern that they were spending too much time making sure that people posting to the crewfinder were obeying the rules, there was a great deal of discussion about discontinuing it. I was one of the moderators who argued that we should keep it as is, that the people attracted to the crewfinder were sailors who would join our community and share their experiences and knowledge with the rest of us.

It didn't happen. The frequenters of the crewfinders did not cross over to the other forums. They did not seem to be interested in anything more than finding a free opportunity to crew on somebody's boat or a free way to find crew. A few of the owners of some of the boats were a bit cutesy, paying lip service to our rule that we would not condone requests for crew to pay more than their fair share of food and supplies, but continuing to charge people to sail on their boats. It became so frustrating - we are not police, we don't want to be police, and it is painful to hear from hopeful crew who were told that, contrary to what was posted in the crewfinder, they were told they would have to contribute more money to the owner.

Finally, we arrived at a compromise. Regular members of Cruiser Log, who had a track record of participating in the various forums, were still able to use the crewfinder. the others couldn't.

So the Free Crewfinder isn't quite so free after all. There is a charge for its existence. The cost is making nice with the rest of the members of Cruiser Log. A bit like what parents want of their teenagers, a little social chitchat before being asked for the keys to the family car.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Ensign

Guilty as charged, I am just looking for my next adventure. The crewfinder section fits that need. I don't feel like I'm full of expertise to go sharing my ancient sailor lore of the best knots to use, tips on diesel engine repair or advanced sailing techniques.

That said, I don't mind being friendly.

My blog is at www.myspace.com/bearpalomo
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Well let's look at some items. I am currently not sailing. All my experience has been in areas that have rather good rescue systems (thankfully have never had to use any of them). I have leared by helping and doing and passing on what I know. I am also an EMT ( with experience working for AMR whenthey where in Dallas. I am also a former combat lifesaver certified from the USAR (back when they expected you to do more than just bandage someone and hope (Like setting up an IV and a few other medium level tasks). Having pointed out that in many areas I lack experience and a good bit of knowledge, I come here to chat, learn and share. In the process our goal of owning our own boat (currently crew when able and when there are places on boats, since we live near water (North Atlantic/North Sea/ Firth of Forth).

You would be surprised at what simple things you take for granted others might find interesting and stories of things that happened both beautiful and educational others can enjoy and learn from. So i will go read your blog and you chat a bit to find out you might be part of bigger family than you think.

Michael

PS I left off other degrees and training as wastes space and belabors the point.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist' date='21 July 2010 - 12:04 AM View Post

You are able to post in the crewfinder now - full member.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist' date='21 July 2010 - 08:02 AM View Post

I don't feel like I'm full of expertise to go sharing my ancient sailor lore of the best knots to use, tips on diesel engine repair or advanced sailing techniques.
Your particular access problems are sorted but I would claim that everyone, well almost everyone, has some knowledge which can be usefully shared in the sailing community. This need not be about things nautical but could, for example, be a favourite recipe or advice on how to make and sell craft-work products.

If you really feel that you have nothing to share then ask us about the things you would like to know. There is a wealth of knowledge in CruiserLog.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist' date='20 July 2010 - 03:04 PM View Post

So anyway, what is the solution for me here?
Wow, you've got lots of experience that our members are interested in! If you'd like to be friendly and "share" we'd love to hear about your experience on your T to T trip. Also, your diving experiences may be of great interest to the membership. If you start a topic on diving, snorkeling, safety--I'll be along shortly with lots of questions for you

Well, you get the drift--we'd love to have active members of the CL community using the crewfinder. It looks like, from Lighthouse's post, that you're able to post on the crewfinder. However, please do contribute elsewhere on the forums.

Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep' date='22 July 2010 - 04:43 PM View Post

Wow, you've got lots of experience that our members are interested in! If you'd like to be friendly and "share" we'd love to hear about your experience on your T to T trip. Also, your diving experiences may be of great interest to the membership. If you start a topic on diving, snorkeling, safety--I'll be along shortly with lots of questions for you

Well, you get the drift--we'd love to have active members of the CL community using the crewfinder. It looks like, from Lighthouse's post, that you're able to post on the crewfinder. However, please do contribute elsewhere on the forums.

Thanks!
dang I was just looking for this banana bread recipe I got and it actually has a really cool story attached. I was sailing with "Quickstep" two handing it with the owner, William. We had made an agreement via email (I found him in the crewfinder forum) that I would pay $20/day to cover food, fuel, (everything on the boat), and pay for my own visas and shore expenses. I was having a blast the first month we saw next to no land, it was sort of a crazy experience: Shifts from midnight-4am, 4am-8am, 8-12, 12-2 and then 2-4, the short shifts what William referred to as a "dog watch", which made it so if you were the midnight to 4 one night you would be the shifts before and after it the next. I slept a lot on the off-shifts, getting about 9 hours in three three-hour catnaps. I felt really amazingly alive, and it was a funny thought that occurred to me that with less stimulation from televisions, stereos, traffic lights and interactions from other people I was getting more sensitive to the little stimulations from the gorgeous things like bioluminescense, stars and the wind. A pod of dolphins once every few days was a major event!

Ah, back to the banana bread. Or, almost there at least. One of the things about sailing with William was that he was a bit Scottish in the infamous way. For my $20 a day I ate a lot of rice, potatoes, eggs and tinned goods. Whatever was the cheapest. Top shelf items like a granola bar were guarded closely and I was verbally reprimanded if I ate more than one every few days. Also, he did not fish, hated fish and would not bring it on the boat. (I love fish! Esp. sushi!) PS don't get me wrong, I liked the guy. Anyway, it had been about a month or so since I'd had anything decent like a fresh baked good, and once we made port in Uligan (Maldives) Jim and Ged invited us aboard Albert II for fresh baked banana bread. Needless to say it was a slice of heaven and I got the recipe, but it's in a notebook in storage somewhere.