Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #127
Ensign

Home Port: Bonn
Vessel Name: far

some pics1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Old 02-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #128
Ensign

Default Rudder

I also build a new rudder with a third fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (103.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 015 (2).jpg (100.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (29.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 013 (2).jpg (95.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (102.3 KB, 9 views)

Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #129
Ensign

Hallo erice, I have seen on your pic that you have no furler. Do you sail your fidra as a cutter? Can you show the bugsprite?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #130
Ensign

Home Port: auckland

it came with a working jib and 2 identical genoas and spin poles which i think may have been rigged at the same time for downwind running
the mast has a J hook fitting that may allow a temporary cutter stay to be attached to the old forestay point (or the mooring/anchoring bollard) for the smaller of the storm jibs it came with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3204sm.jpg (100.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3out bow capstansm.jpg (111.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #131
Ensign

My bowsprite is a little shorter. I made it 52 cm. I thinking about a furler for the genua and forestag behind.
How long did you need to dry the boddy of your boat befor you can fit it after opening the osmosis bubbles? My boat need a yaer for drying after sandblasting. And I drain it some times with fresh water because it stinks as vinegar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015 (5).jpg (42.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #132
Ensign

Hi Fidra, The boat was new to me and I wanted to sail it asap and also avoid clocking up too much in the way of hard stand fees so my osmosis repair had to fit in to the hard stand schedule of 15 days. So it only got over night in warm winds to dry after each wash. Attached are some Storfidra with furler pics from the web.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg out virgo s71.jpg (45.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg out virgo s71b.jpg (61.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Virgo-v-tumane.jpg (28.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #133
Ensign

For longer distance sailing a wind vane steering device is ideal. My boat originally had a german wind pilot pacific light attached but I bought it without. You can see a special angle iron mount was made for it which also became the new mount for the backstays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daft.jpg (103.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Driftop.jpg (29.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Drig1.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #134
Ensign

been buying a few more 'wants' from our equivalent of ebay

1 - a large 10' colour GPS plotter....didn't realise how big these things were!, it would just fit on the now empty stbd side cockpit bulkhead but for now have it tied up on top. came with no sounder transducer or gps ant. don't need the sounder as the old nasa target sounder is fine.....and am getting the gps position via nmea from the non-plotting garmin 128 already fitted

2 - also an old 1998? navico autopilot......apparently it only ever had occasional light use to drive an aries wind vane on days when the wind was too light for the vane to work properly

has been a revelation soloing on the storfidra!

no more pinning the rudder, while motoring into wind, for the panic dash to the bow to drop the jib, then back to the rudder to correct course drift, then dash to the mast to drop the main and get back before the bow gets across the wind

also before the autopilot, upwind and reaching were able to balance the sails nicely before pinning the rudder so she would self steer

but couldn't find a setting for downwind

but the autopilot holds course best downwind, light wind, allowing me to read a book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ray.jpg (103.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg nav1.jpg (105.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg nav2.jpg (104.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #135
Ensign

Hallo, I use a navico TP 10 on light wind and motor. It works well. I will mount it on my aries. Then it need not as much energy. I also use a simple garmin. It works absolutely nice with low energy. As a plotter I will use my pannasonic cf 19 . It is a bullet proof laptop.
But only when I have the energy.
Do you have a stormtrysail?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #136
Ensign

boat came with 6 sails and a drogue (still in bag) but instead of a storm jib and a trysail came with large and small storm jibs

perhaps the smaller storm jib could be rigged not on the forestay but on a removable cutter stay between the mast T slot, (just above the spreaders) and either the old forestay mount or the anchoring cleat.....2 inner green lines

yes the big chartplotter uses more power, (30 watts with full back light) compared to the b+w garmin (2 watts) and another old furuno chart plotter have been experimenting with (15 watt)

but for inshore work rocks are the biggest danger and the large colour plotter presents critical information clearer + faster, outside in the weather, so you don't have to leave the tiller to see immediate hazards

inside, the upper port bunk berth has been fixed to provide a large nav table. on that i have an old xp netbook running open cpn with full local charts but haven't been able to get the $5 serial to usb converter to accept the nmea position data yet

house batteries are 2 x 80amp/hr charged by 50 watts solar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (104.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg strom jib 1c.jpg (102.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg reef 1.jpg (104.3 KB, 8 views)