Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #81
Lieutenant

But the God , have another plans for me.....I think.....

Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #82
Lieutenant

Or , I am going to buy that .......trailer , find a friend to drive a truck ( I dont drive!) and go strait to Greece!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #83
Lieutenant

Ok , forget about my problems ( one day of course we will met each other) , forget about Clay , or Nausikaa.....tell me please , what kind of boat you like ? Except ours beautiful Storfidras?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #84
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

I heard Greece has become expensive for sailboats now, or?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #85
Lieutenant

My storfidra's is the boat for me. I like and appreciate most boats but the storfidra is for me. Ok, if had the where/all I'd build a *ferro-cement storfidra* as they cost t he least to maintain.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #86
Lieutenant

Interesting idea ferro-cement storfidra! In Greece ( before the crises ) the sailboats were indeed very expensive and very big! I found just one Vega in manny years , and nothing in the range 25-27 ft. I do not now the prices , because I left Greece almost 4 years ago. But the taxes were very high! I supposed now they are bigger.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #87
Lieutenant

The good think in Greece is that you can find beautiful places or marina free! Some of them with water and power , some just anchorage free. And the people are very nice.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #88
Lieutenant

Hey there Florin, hows' it going w/coming to sweden and transporting yr storfidra?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #89
Lieutenant

Hello Joe! Very hard to say , I hope I will come this year....... The budget for transport it is not enough for the moment. Anyway , how are you? I hope everything is ok for you. Florin.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #90
Lieutenant

Thanks I am fine. Busy installing a new bilge pump in the cockpit. Hope you can get your boat before the ice comes. Mariners are very expensive here in Sweden. Boat clubs have much lower costs. Are you a member of a Swedish boat club?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #91
Lieutenant

I just pay 2000 sek , plus another two hundred taxes for marina in Domsand. And I have a letter for insurance company to pay for another year , about 1300 sek . I have to think about that. I am not a member of a Swedish boat club , but I think about Svenska Kryssarklubben. If I will become a member , I can register my boat there. Do you now another good option?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #92
Lieutenant

Re Domsand is that 2200 sek per year, or season? If, you have a papper showing you have northern nautical competence, e.g. "förarebetyg" or "kustskepparexamen" you can get a substantial reduction on the price of your boat insurance. Svenska Kryssarklubben is a good club to join. Re your Storfidra do you have a windlass and a bow roller? In your boats' salon can you lift up the back part of the sofas' in order to have four bunks instead of just two? Are you gonna make it to Jönköping before the winter?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #93
Lieutenant

I think it is for one year , not sure , my swedish language is almost zero! I do not have a windlass or a bow roller. Yes ( I think) I can have four bunks , but I was alone sleeping on the boat and I do not need that , maximum two will be enough for me. If I can not come this year.......will be very sad for me. Next year ....will not be better , I am sure. I was even thinking to sell the boat , the transport killing me.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #94
Lieutenant

I have not time for another year , getting older.....I have to think realistic ......and the economic situation here is getting worse and worse.....
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #95
Lieutenant

it is not impossible to sail without a windlass or bow roller but sooner or later your anchor will get stuck and even a manual such equipment will save you from cutting the line and leaving your anchor, if you ever have to do that then fix a float on the end of the line so you can find it later.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #96
Lieutenant

Selling boats in sweden now is extremely difficult ( buying one is easy there is an excess of old second hand boats flooding the market. One reason is the German mass produced Bavaria's have killed the Swedish boat building market I have a friend that has big problem trying to sell his Storfidra for over a year now and its pretty much already equipped for cruising with e.g. a Koster wind rudder, aluminium doghouse etc. if you decide you must sell your boat try to do it in Germany or Rumainia anywhere but Sweden I think your idea to sail her down to Greece was good. Fix her up there. And then advertise short term lease her out to people ( companies ) that sail her for a week or two on their vacations.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #97
Lieutenant

I hope you do not mind my asking but as you mentioned your concern with aging I now wonder how old are you? Do you think you got three five ten years to build your own boat right where you are? A ferro-cement boat is the cheapest to build and maintain. My good friend in Uppsala Björn Pettersson is a master ferro-cement boat builder. The important thing is you have to build her exactly right if you deviate you'll end up with a reenforced cement block. You need a design. So, use a Storfidra. The small boats are best. The bigger the more expensive. See Welcome to Sven Yrvind- the official website
Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #98
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! And thanks for your advices ! I am 44 years old , but I feel very old. I do not want to sail South Pacific when I will be 60. Many people does , even 70 or 80 , I now that , not the age I liked to do that.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #99
Lieutenant

Steve Yrvind is a genius for me , and I am watching him in his attempt now......wow!!!!!

I wanted to build a boat long time ago , not now , not any more......and for sure not ferro-cement!

Storfidras boats , are very rare on the market ( even in Sweden) and very expensive .My boat was not cheap , but was what I could afford that time. If I think now , the distance and all the troubles.......hmmmm , better was to buy one in Holland or in Portugal , more expensive , but same price that I paid until now with my tickets , marina and insurance.....

Of course if I will sell my boat , the price it will be less that I paid when I bought the boat. That is the market , that is the life.....

And my boat is going to be my boat , not charter not vacation .I had many offers to go sailing in a group with another people , I mean strangers......no thanks! My little boat has to be my little boat! If will not be a Storfidra......that is the fact. But , I think , the connection between me , ( a women of course!) the boat , the sea (ocean) and the God must be unique ! May be I am crazy , but that is what I like , that is what I was dreaming all my life.

And please do not tell me about Bavaria.........cheap (or not) plastic for weekend or charter! I prefer old grp , from Scandinavia if it is possible that.

And I want to thank you for all answers and advices , because no one answer me about the questions or informations about these beautiful boats. And only about 200 was built......Small , small club......

But I will meet you one day , I hope soon.....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #100
Lieutenant

Ok you're most welcome ... storfidras are the best for me too what happened to your idea about sailing down to greece?