Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #121
Ensign

Home Port: Bonn
Vessel Name: far

Hallo all, this is Klaus and I am the owner of the storefidra with the number 88. I did a verry big restauration of it for the last 4 years. She had a lot of osmosis and were in a bad shape. I will post some piktures, when there is any interest.

klaus

Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #122
Ensign

Home Port: weymouth ma
Default hard dodger

I used 1/2 inch star board, works fine with zero work to maintan
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0923.jpg  

Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #123
Ensign

Home Port: auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidra88 View Post
Hallo all, this is Klaus and I am the owner of the storefidra with the number 88. I did a verry big restauration of it for the last 4 years. She had a lot of osmosis and were in a bad shape. I will post some piktures, when there is any interest.

klaus
would love to see them klaus, my storfidra is #82 and i did a lot of grinding and filling this summer
Attached Thumbnails
hull blisters 4.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 AM   #124

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

erice-- so much work! I hope you are very pleased now with the results!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #125
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
erice-- so much work! I hope you are very pleased now with the results!
was a lot of work spread over 2 weeks but all done and sailing again

- scrubbed down hull
- ground open blisters
- washed several times
- filled with vinyl-ester
- faired
- 3 coats epoxy undercoat
- 1 coat hard anti foul on leading edges
- 1 coat medium anti foul
- 2 coats ablative anti foul
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2462sm.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #126
Ensign

Hallo erice,
it looks like alot work. I will send you some piks about my rebuilding. I sandblast al the gelcoat under the waterline and fill it up with epoxyd. The I cover it with kevlar/aramid and two pices of glas do it al in epoxyd.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #127
Ensign

some picsClick image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2352

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2353

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2354
Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #128
Ensign

Default Rudder

I also build a new rudder with a third fixing.
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   015 (2).jpg   18.jpg   013 (2).jpg   005.jpg  

Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #129
Ensign

Hallo erice, I have seen on your pic that you have no furler. Do you sail your fidra as a cutter? Can you show the bugsprite?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #130
Ensign

it came with a working jib and 2 identical genoas and spin poles which i think may have been rigged at the same time for downwind running
the mast has a J hook fitting that may allow a temporary cutter stay to be attached to the old forestay point (or the mooring/anchoring bollard) for the smaller of the storm jibs it came with.
Attached Thumbnails
3204sm.jpg   3out bow capstansm.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #131
Ensign

My bowsprite is a little shorter. I made it 52 cm. I thinking about a furler for the genua and forestag behind.
How long did you need to dry the boddy of your boat befor you can fit it after opening the osmosis bubbles? My boat need a yaer for drying after sandblasting. And I drain it some times with fresh water because it stinks as vinegar.
Attached Thumbnails
015 (5).jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #132
Ensign

Hi Fidra, The boat was new to me and I wanted to sail it asap and also avoid clocking up too much in the way of hard stand fees so my osmosis repair had to fit in to the hard stand schedule of 15 days. So it only got over night in warm winds to dry after each wash. Attached are some Storfidra with furler pics from the web.
Attached Thumbnails
out virgo s71.jpg   out virgo s71b.jpg   Virgo-v-tumane.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #133
Ensign

For longer distance sailing a wind vane steering device is ideal. My boat originally had a german wind pilot pacific light attached but I bought it without. You can see a special angle iron mount was made for it which also became the new mount for the backstays.
Attached Thumbnails
Daft.jpg   Driftop.jpg   Drig1.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #134
Ensign

been buying a few more 'wants' from our equivalent of ebay

1 - a large 10' colour GPS plotter....didn't realise how big these things were!, it would just fit on the now empty stbd side cockpit bulkhead but for now have it tied up on top. came with no sounder transducer or gps ant. don't need the sounder as the old nasa target sounder is fine.....and am getting the gps position via nmea from the non-plotting garmin 128 already fitted

2 - also an old 1998? navico autopilot......apparently it only ever had occasional light use to drive an aries wind vane on days when the wind was too light for the vane to work properly

has been a revelation soloing on the storfidra!

no more pinning the rudder, while motoring into wind, for the panic dash to the bow to drop the jib, then back to the rudder to correct course drift, then dash to the mast to drop the main and get back before the bow gets across the wind

also before the autopilot, upwind and reaching were able to balance the sails nicely before pinning the rudder so she would self steer

but couldn't find a setting for downwind

but the autopilot holds course best downwind, light wind, allowing me to read a book
Attached Thumbnails
ray.jpg   nav1.jpg   nav2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #135
Ensign

Hallo, I use a navico TP 10 on light wind and motor. It works well. I will mount it on my aries. Then it need not as much energy. I also use a simple garmin. It works absolutely nice with low energy. As a plotter I will use my pannasonic cf 19 . It is a bullet proof laptop.
But only when I have the energy.
Do you have a stormtrysail?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #136
Ensign

boat came with 6 sails and a drogue (still in bag) but instead of a storm jib and a trysail came with large and small storm jibs

perhaps the smaller storm jib could be rigged not on the forestay but on a removable cutter stay between the mast T slot, (just above the spreaders) and either the old forestay mount or the anchoring cleat.....2 inner green lines

yes the big chartplotter uses more power, (30 watts with full back light) compared to the b+w garmin (2 watts) and another old furuno chart plotter have been experimenting with (15 watt)

but for inshore work rocks are the biggest danger and the large colour plotter presents critical information clearer + faster, outside in the weather, so you don't have to leave the tiller to see immediate hazards

inside, the upper port bunk berth has been fixed to provide a large nav table. on that i have an old xp netbook running open cpn with full local charts but haven't been able to get the $5 serial to usb converter to accept the nmea position data yet

house batteries are 2 x 80amp/hr charged by 50 watts solar
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0306.jpg   strom jib 1c.jpg   reef 1.jpg  
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #137
s/y mahana

Home Port: Billesholm
Vessel Name: Mahana

own storfidra no 85 in sweden, been sailing the little sister Havsfidra for some years. great to see here are storfidra sailors.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #138
Ensign

Home Port: Roma
Default Storfidra25 Sayonara (koln)

Good morning all.
I hope that this Storfidra conversation is still monitored by someone among you, becouse it is the most detailed source of information I found online on this brilliant Swedish little boat. So thank you for the several information I got so far.

I'm Italian and I bought last September a Storfidra25, named Sayonara (koln), in Italy Imperia (westward Genova). Last registration papers are from Spain, Barcelona. These papers report nr 830 as serial no of the construction, year 1972, although a wood plate onboard report 1970.

The shipyard is unknown, but probably Germany considering the reported origin. The boat is in very good shape due to recent (2010-2015?) refurbishment.

I don't know if the deck is sandwich (and what kind of sandwich) or monolithic, I would like to know.

Moreover I'm still investigating the reason of a significant fore pitch that persist also when the nose water tank (which I ignore capacity) is empty. Also a little bow thruster is present, but I don't consider this engine the cause of the pitch. Furthermore a significant weight on the aft is permanently present, due to a second mooring chain line.

Having said that, I thank you once more for your attention and I hope to receive further information about this boat through this forum or further sources that you could indicate to me. I'm very enthusiastic about my first boat, that now I transferred in Rome Fiumicino.

Best regards
Vincenzo
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20210926-WA0021.jpg   IMG_20211121_114221.jpg