Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Lieutenant

So , the only one with an electric engine is Clay?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Lieutenant

Uwe , you sold your boat to Stephen , or I am wrong?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm
Default storfidra and el-motor

Hello Uwe, thanks for reply. Hope Nausikka turns up again someday soon. Shall hv a look/see at another storfidra on thursday to learn how they done things.

Agree w/you re Clay bookshelf I surmise as its squeezed between hull 'n mast-support (bulkhead) or? Contemplating bkshelf there too along with vhf etc yet, there's an original storfidra practical interior feature done by the yard I want to re-install ie being able to raise sofa back support...

upwards in-order to be used as an extra top-bunk but even more preferable as a navigation table and I don't want the shelf etc to hinder that. Where did your dad hv his navi table and vhf?

Re anchor chain box odor prblm. On my fidra's fordeck apx 1m in fr starbrd bow there's a small topside compartment for anchor lines. Is this where yr dad his steel chain box? Did you hv anchor windlass?

I got my fidra w/forpeak prepared for eventual watertank install eg theres' already a water intake deck valve in place and a shelf space for a apx.40 l tank. Where did yr dad hv his watertank?

Yes, the MD1 sound is music to my ears, but do need a cover for it and change out a wc wall that hinders hand cranking motor. Perkins or MD2 wld suit me just fine as its always best w/some backup, eh

Ok, guys lets' hope Clay sends us pics of his el-motor and storfidra soonest... I wonder how he re-powers it etc? Good wind y'all //Joe
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #24
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Putting a water tank in the forepeak is not a good idea.

40l is not a lot of weight, I realise, but on a small boat an extra 40+kg in the nose can significantly affect performance.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
Lieutenant

Hi Auzzee, thx for yr input. Re 40l water tank pls suggest alt placement//Joe
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Hi Auzzee, thx again re yr tip. Contemplating 40l watertank aft starboard motor to balance 40l fueltank port and anchors etc in stern with windlass 80m/8mm chain 7.5kg bruce in storfidras' forepeak. Please, advise //Joe
Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #27
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The reason why it is best to put water tanks low down and as near to the centre of balance as possible, it that they are of varying weight. That weight in small watertanks is also mobile as most small tanks are not fitted with baffles. Chain is a virtual constant. When stowed it is a constant weight and, when sailing it is for all intents, immobile.

Constants can be guaranteed to behave in a certain manner whereas variables can't. Buoyancy at the ends is going to mean a more nimble boat and a drier ride. I guess local conditions will dictate the length of chain you need to keep in the forepeak, but if conditions of anchoring permit, it is always a good thing in a smaller boat (in any boat in fact) to substitute some chain for rope. Again keeping weight down is the aim.

When the bows can rise more easily to meet the sea, the gods will be more benevolent.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Lieutenant

Default balance weight

Auzzee, that was an outstanding explaination and I am very grateful. Admit I did not think at all about varying and constant weights.

Re low and center of balance I imagine that ought to be where the motor is mounted and along side of it theres' already a 40l fuel tank so a 40l water tank on the otherside shld be ok, or? Will look into about making a baffled water tank.

Re amount of chain I thought one needed as much of it as possible so collected 80m so far anchorline too. Locally swedish archipelago not much seems required. Unsure exactly howmuch a storfidra needs to cruise (?)

Re "bows rising to meet the sea... " brings back memories of waves rolling in over our rowboat w/risk of getting swamped while out claming in the bay off long island. Agree weightwatchings vital Thx again 'n best wishes to you//Joe
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
Ensign

Smile Electric Inboard Engine ~ Storfidra 25

Here are a few photo's of my electric inboard engine on my boat.
I can travel 5 hours on a full charge. I installed a propane generatror
on board for back up of the battery chargers. It's rated 3500 watt.
It can safely sail the boat in 35 mph winds ~ If you have any more
questions please feel free to email me.

Hope your all doing well.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0712101813.jpg_src.txt (1 Bytes, 69 views)
File Type: txt 0712101840.jpg_src.txt (1 Bytes, 14 views)
File Type: txt 0712101959.jpg_src.txt (1 Bytes, 6 views)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
Lieutenant

I can not open the files! And I was waiting to see your engine!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #31
Lieutenant

Hi Clay, thanks for responding we're all very interested in your inboard el-motor. Sorry, can not open the files you posted. Please, try using another format and resend... much obliged //Joe
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
Lieutenant

Hi Clay, what is the brandname and model number of your electric inboard motor?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
Lieutenant

Clay , please do not let me and Joe Hill IV ....just dreaming!!! So please try another format for your pictures. Thank you very much! Florin.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
Lieutenant

Joe , I think I will be there ( Domsand , Jonkoping) , in august , 10 or 15 of august. May be we can see each other , and talk more about our boats. I can not wait for that , and I really want to meet you! Best regards! Florin.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
Lieutenant

Florin, thanks for your post. Have you secured transport for yr boat? I have checked 10-15 august in my calendar and it appears doable so to C:ya then//Joe
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #36
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! Next week , I think , I will buy the ticket , so will be probably around 15 of august . Anyway I will let you now. And I think I have the transport. Could you believe that : I was concern more about the transport from Sweden to my place , but the big problem will be the crane here! I try to find one solution here.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
Lieutenant

You could sail her up to a marina/yard with a crane. At jbs.nu they use container fork-lifts to take up boats á 400 swedish kronor. However you'd have to sail thru Göta canal ( cost approximately 3000 skr ) and it would take depending on weather 5 days so finding a crane nearer probably suits you better but its a great sail//Joe
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! I think you misunderstand , what I was trying to tell you. The Domsand marina they have a crane , that is not a problem. The problem it is in my village , back home we just have a small river , so nobody needs a crane , but I found a solution near by my place. So I think beginning of august I will be there. Anyway I will let you now. Florin.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
Lieutenant

Florin, ok good//Joe
Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #40
Lieutenant

Joe , I hope see you next week! I will let you now! Florin.