Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

With our common underlying interest and new members joining all the time, it's inevitable that we'll raise and address the same or similar topics addressing matters of navigation, hull form, rigging, (auxilliary) power, lighting, cooking, etc over and over again.

While this is great for conversation, we not only run the risk of repeating ourselves but also, and far more importantly, of losing wise words and, very often, good advice based on real experience/knowledge from present and past members.

The pitfalls of trying to organise systems and databases to produce effective knowledge bases are, I guess, well known but there may be an opportunity here to select a (pre-)defined category for a topic which might help those seeking the light in that area find initial help.

Keyword search helps, of course, but probably best addresses more specific needs..

Would such an approach make sense? Has it any value? Could it be done applying the KISS principle?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Good point. I'll look into it.

Please all, suggest possible subcatagories for "Sailing and Cruising Forums" - not too many because it becomes "messy"

Thank you.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

While we have the option of searching through topics and archives, I wonder if the KISS principle would be better served without sub-categories. Perhaps a link within a 'new' topic, to previous posts would work...If indeed it is deemed necessary.

I appreciate past wisdom, particularly when it comes to seamanship, but we are fortunate to have a wide and diverse readership which seems to not tire of revisiting previous topics with fresh enthusiasm.

The very reason why some sailing magazines endlessly repeat topics such as anchoring, and close quarters handling is to keep the knowledge fresh in people's minds. It is this style of refreshment which maintains readership, and therefore promotes correspondence.

With respect, I submit Cruiser Log has developed its reputation as a forum, and I suspect that any divergence to include a library (other than the previously mentioned 'search' capability) could dilute the exchange of information, particularly when it involves those who feel the need to ask what they may consider to be 'silly' questions.

Best wishes

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Good point again!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Admiral

Peter

Totally agree with your thoughts , I guess if we had forums like this 300 years ago - similar sentiments would have been raised. The same topics would have been brought up time and time again - in that tavern in Plymouth - only in the past we might have been discussing the subject of rot in ropes made of flax, jute and cotton - now its polyester and nylon.

I suppose that if an analysis is done - it will be found that certain subjects will be have a life of their own - a cycle .

In terms of the cruising yacht and the beings therein that that roam our oceans , the topics that will interest this community will tend to repeat again and again. Be it navigational aids or suitable ground tackle.

So, what topics should be encourged ? Our philosophy has been to encourage yachties new

to cruising to ask questions that have been asked before.

Certainly go along with the suggestion to follow the KISS principle and couple this with civility.

Thanks Peter, debate is the best way to understand the other point of view.

Richard
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Take the point about this being an on-line chat forum and the concern that it might reduce the number of visitors actually wanting to join in for a pint or two of best.

What I was really looking for was some way of easily trawling for info from (what would possibly be the more interesting) discussions when I was not around - be that literally or metaphorically after a third and fourth pint!

If it's not considered to be a good move for live topics, maybe such "tagging" could become an exit function when a topic is archived.

See ya
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Quote:
maybe such "tagging" could become an exit function when a topic is archived.
That makes a lot of sense.

What catagories?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Good ideas and well debated.

Following the KISS Principle, and looking at the present Forums, we have four main topics with 14 sub-categories combined. To many categories may make the board difficult to use.

I like the current topics as they are; it seems easy to use, probably because the format is familiar. New ideas and improvements are always good. It would be good to hear from new members if our format is easy to use for them.

On the other hand, “Tags” to archived topics could be helpful.

The following is an extract and blended list of some of my files, and filing topics, from My Favorite Links, and my hard drive. I try to file things by the main or parent topic. I also maintain an index or cross reference of topics. E.g. If I look for Scuba, and find nothing, I consult my index, which redirects me to the parent topic of swimming, and the related topics of above water, below water, and the methods of obtaining O2. Although I have accomplished much, it is “work in progress”. My list may be lacking some topics and maybe to extensive to adapt to the board. I offer it as a starting point for thought and discussion. It is to many and to messy to fit the criteria that Lighthouse requested

Anchorage & Systems

Associations

Brands of Boats & Owners of

Business (operating a yacht as)

Charters

Communications (e-mail, mail, radio systems),

Computers

Delivery (of vessels)

Electrical Systems (AC / DC / generation / solar)

Electronics

Emergency (ditch / M.O.B. / life vest – harness – boat)

Equipment – Marine

Finances & Budget

Fishing

Flags (countries, burgees, etiquette, communication / semaphores)

Food (cooking, equipment, preserving, nutrition)

Hazardous (storage, waste disposal)

Health – Emergency Medicine

Hull

Income / Job / Freelance (See Business)

Insurance (boat, evacuation, liability, medical, property, recovery & towing)

Keel

Knots

Language

License

Mast & Rigging

Marine Parts

Navigation

Oceanography

People Cruising (blogs, name, vessel, website)

Photography

References (books, magazines, web sites)

Refridgeration

Regulations & Agencies (e.g. coast guard, countries departments)

Sailing Schools

Security

Ship Wrecks (location, history, cause)

Steering (rudder, auto pilot)

Survey - Surveyors

Swimming (diving / scuba / snorkel)

Time (daylight savings time, GMT, map, zones)

Travel – (destination info, country studies, customs & immigration)

Water (making, makers, waste water disposal)

Weather (tide, water & wind currents, storms, climate)

Yacht Clubs

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi All,

I think Jeff's response illustrates the complexity of trying to design a one-size-fits-all reference list. A couple of good sailing/boat reference books by some of the luminaries of our lifestyle can provide even the most curious with endless topics for forum discussion.

Many good books are listed through Cruiser Log's own site, and Jeanne's free E-book is a valuable cruising resource. My library is similar to that on many cruising boats with books covering electricity, seamanship, rigging, refrigeration, maintenance, navigation, penthouse pets (purely for the journalistic excellence), and many other specific volumes covering, as an example, adventures solely in the tropics.

One day I am going to write a book filled with advice to cruising people, on how to artfully and courteously avoid drinking beer brewed on cruising yachts belonging to other people, which they swear is 'a great drop' but which, like all other home brewed beer, tastes like slops.

I think the 'tagging' idea has merit.

Cheers home brewers,

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Retired Mod

The "Archive" is pretty well visited. There's TONS of useful information there.