Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Hey all,

Well, having been made redundant a new window has opened for me...current plan is to train/refresh my skills and then purchase/lease a yacht (monohull for £20k or less I hope) and take off.

I'd like to solicit your opinions on the following courses;

RYA - "competent crew" & RYA "Day Skipper" leading to an "ICC"

plus the VHF marine radio license (1 day).

Competent Crew - a 4/5 day course covering all things crew(y) from health and safety to rigging. - This would cost about $500

Day Skipper - a 9 day course - A comprehensive introduction to chart work, navigation, meteorology and the basics of seamanship for Competent Crew. This would cost about £900.

I'd probably take these out of Brighton as I have friends down there - the alternate being the Mull of Kintyre (less pubs, more parents).

Would either/both of these course make me a more attractive candidate for crewing?

Has anyone done either and if so, did you rate them?

Have I overlooked anything?

This isn't quite the deep end for me, I sailed dinghies competitively and raced 40 footers out of Brighton as well as the odd charter in Turkey BUT that was all some 10 or more years ago so "rusty" would be an understatement.

Some backgound - I'm 43, independant, living in Vienna, was/am an IT manager for a large consumer goods company.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Being here in the USA, I haven't done the courses you mention. We have some members who have though. So, hopefully they'll be by shortly. Training is always a good thing, so best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Catweasel,

Have you taken the courses yet?

As I'm thinking of taking the same two courses from a place in Gosport, near Portsmouth Harbour.

How did you find them if you took them?

Hope all went well.

Ninpo
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Hello,Â*Â*We are looking at the same courses and have talked to a good number of members from two different clubs up here in Edinburgh. CC is a really god grounding course and I will be taking to refresh skills long out of practice and the Wife will be taking it to learn and discover IF we go to the next step. Which would be going to Offshore level.

RYA has changed how they set up their system so you have to go through the same set of steps up to Coastal and Offshore once you reach those levels you can choose which you want to do first or go down only one path.Â*Â* Quality really depends on the school and the Skipper. We have been told to ask around a good bit before committing to any one course group. We have kids and would want them on board with us so that we get used to dealing with them as part of the boat and responsibilities while sailing.

I can't stress enough that you really need to ask and look around and go to a couple different yacht clubs and sailing groups to find an instructor or school that will really work with you. It is your money and the more you get out of the classes and the better retraining in the basics (I am in the same boat there) the better your habits will be at sea and the safer both you and others will be on the boat.Â*Â*

I also strongly suggest looking at some of the short courses offered by RYA (diesel engines come to mind) as those skills will save you a good bit of money for what was spent.Â*Â*

If you are ever up Edinburgh way let us know and stop by to say hi.Â*Â*

Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Admiral

Another option is to first find the boat that you like, that you can afford, that you can maintain and update, that you take off sailing without much notice.

Then find kindred souls who know a little more than you do, choose a good sailing day, let important people know where you are going and when you intend to be back - take off,

Learn the boat, make mistakes, enjoy.

Once you have mastered the boat and your own quirks - decide on whether to improve your knowledge with the theory and courses.

Remember that other Scot Chay Blyth :- C L I C K
Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='MMNETSEA' timestamp='1295606792' post='46Another option is to first find the boat that you like, that you can afford, that you can maintain and update, that you take off sailing without much notice.

Then find kindred souls who know a little more than you do, choose a good sailing day, let important people know where you are going and when you intend to be back - take off,

Learn the boat, make mistakes, enjoy.

Once you have mastered the boat and your own quirks - decide on whether to improve your knowledge with the theory and courses.

Remember that other Scot Chay Blyth :- [url="http://www.chayblyth.com/earlyyears/"
C L I C K [/url]
G'day 'Catweasel' Whilst I don't disagree with anything said above, I'd personally 'hang-my-hat' on what Richard 'MMNETSEA' suggested. After a few years on the water I don't ever recall a owner/skipper needing to see one's 'papers' before they took you on board however they sure wanted to know if one was capable, experienced, practiced 'common-sense' (which is not all that common). acted as part of a team & had 'safety' as a priority. Get out on the water & get your pants wet, blisters on your hands & butt & a tan, the rest tends to take care of itself if it's meant to be. 'Every accomplished reality begins with a dream' - so follow yours. Books, class-room knowledge & theory is all well & good however the skipper might need you to tie bowlines in the clew-eye in a jib-sheets while on the foredeck when it is under 7' (2 + mtrs) of water. That's an important part of being a 'good seaman' & that's the highest compliment you'll ever receive. IMHO Brenda & David, 'Redbopeep' with their magnificent schooner 'Mahdee' have their saying - - Do or do not. There is no try. - "Yoda" So as Richard wisely suggests, get out there (safely) and do it - hands on, feet first & 'b-&-a'. We're all waiting to see how you go, wish you 'fair-winds' & most of all want to hear back from you - that you got out there & did-it. Ciao for down-under, james
Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Ensign

Take the RYA yachtmaster coastal course. You will be tested in writing and a practical on the water exam. By then you should be confident in your skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel View Post

Hey all,

Well, having been made redundant a new window has opened for me...current plan is to train/refresh my skills and then purchase/lease a yacht (monohull for £20k or less I hope) and take off.

I'd like to solicit your opinions on the following courses;

RYA - "competent crew" & RYA "Day Skipper" leading to an "ICC"

plus the VHF marine radio license (1 day).

Competent Crew - a 4/5 day course covering all things crew(y) from health and safety to rigging. - This would cost about $500

Day Skipper - a 9 day course - A comprehensive introduction to chart work, navigation, meteorology and the basics of seamanship for Competent Crew. This would cost about £900.

I'd probably take these out of Brighton as I have friends down there - the alternate being the Mull of Kintyre (less pubs, more parents).

Would either/both of these course make me a more attractive candidate for crewing?

Has anyone done either and if so, did you rate them?

Have I overlooked anything?

This isn't quite the deep end for me, I sailed dinghies competitively and raced 40 footers out of Brighton as well as the odd charter in Turkey BUT that was all some 10 or more years ago so "rusty" would be an understatement.

Some backgound - I'm 43, independant, living in Vienna, was/am an IT manager for a large consumer goods company.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

After having though a good bit on this and getting back out on the water myself. First keep looking for a boat for yourself or build it (though be realistic there about time/expense/planning); next get your bottom on a boat and learn via the blisters route. It is the way I learned as a lad and while I do support some of the course programs and they do help with some insurance groups (and in some countries being able to be the person in charge of the boat), they do not make up for getting out there and keeping your wits about you and learning.

Getting out on the water will help you deal with different weather (if you get in with good folks they will go out when the weather is not prefect just to sail, because they want to) which will do wonders for your skills and get a good beginning of the true strength a well maintained boat has (Maintenance is not an option on boats, not at all). Then once you find size and comfort levels and folks get to knowing you in the flesh at a couple of clubs or harbours you might find some one asking what kind you are looking for yourself and folks pointing you at offers that don't make the web. That is where you can find some very good deals on some very well cared for second hand yachts.

Best of luck and fair winds and following seas to ya,

Michael
Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Gday Catweasel,

Can't beat on the water experience but here's a link to a neat way to learn the rules of the road.....http://www.nauticed.org/courses/view...f-right-of-way

Learn your dayshapes and lights and thats a good start. Its a lifetime learning thing for sure!

Good sailing

Pete.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Here's a great resource for learning knots......http://www.animatedknots.com/
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

danblu

Those two sites are really cool.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
Lieutenant

Cheers Captain,

Have you found your yacht? I've booked in to do the Nauticed course on boat handling under power. Mines a long keeled monster that is a bit like the QE2 to berth. Actually went out for a sail today but the wind dropped so we practised man overboard and basic maneuvering in the harbour. This course has really made a difference to how we go about berthing Bbay, feel in control now. Only thing not so happy with is that this course is all about fin keeled yachts so a lot does not really work with the long keel. The exercises however, are excellent and now my wife and I are not stressed getting her back in.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Thanks for asking.

We are getting close - the negotiator in me is fighting with the dreamer and trying to make certain the emotions don't overpay. The dreamer wants to move forward and stop quibbling. But the difference today is $5K which can pay for some key upgrades that I want (specifically, replace the wooden bow stem with steel, add an electric windlass and second anchor, also considering a separate generator to avoid having to start the engine to charge the batteries from the alternator). Not to mention the cost of hauling, taxes, storage etc. The budget will meet reality very quickly and I know that I will spend 30-50% more than purchase price to get the boat "right" for us. Can sail as is, but not reliable for any distance from shore.

We signed up for a USCGA course "Suddenly in Command" but then I got an offer to crew from Tortola to Bermuda so my wife and daughter will be taking the course. (tough trade off but we will manage!)

So many courses and much training we want to get under our belts - it is a great task to commit oneself!.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Lieutenant

Sounds like a killer attitude Captain, glad I'm not negotiating with you!! If I had the money this would be on the top of my list...... Looks about perfect to me. They make them tough around here, Wellington NZ is incredibly windy. Your going cruising to Bermuda, I'm very jealous. Hope it all goes well for you and yours.

Cheers

pete.

Trade Me link - to make it easier
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=danblu;1306749776]

Sounds like a killer attitude Captain, glad I'm not negotiating with you!! If I had the money this would be on the top of my list......http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=353886358 Looks about perfect to me. They make them tough around here, Wellington NZ is incredibly windy. Your going cruising to Bermuda, I'm very jealous. Hope it all goes well for you and yours.

Cheers

pete.]

G'day Pete & to Bob/Robin as well. Pete - cna't get that link above to open - site says it's not there. Tell me more. Bob - did you forget to send something there as nothing came through except the re-print of Pete's e-mail as above. I'm getting old so I've probably missed the train here ? Ciao, james PS OH Haiqu - thanks, just love the 'goons'! james
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Admiral

James, I've fixed the link above - it was okay before, but needed to be copied just right to access. It should be easier now.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Thanks Jeanne,

I probably didn't quite get it right. Just a nice yacht. Yes Captain its a big task but when you look at it , its a great one, going from a sort of dependence on society to about as independent as you can be. I guess your wife and daughter will be telling you how to do it soon