Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #41
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Regarding the issue of shining a light into the wheelhouse windows of a large merchant ship; if you can do that you are way too close! Better to get out of the way early instead. As a ship's officer, I always kept a good lookout and kept out of the way of yachts when I was in open waters but nonetheless my advice to cruisers is to keep out of the way of big ships. You may have right of way but you may not want that to be your epitaph.

Aye // Stephen
You miss my point here... you don't wait until you can light up the wheelhouse.. you can do this at 5 miles... they will see it.. you as the watch keeper of the ship then know what you are dealing with.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #42
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
There is no doubt about the fact that the lights prescribed for yachts are, relatively speaking, difficult to see. Red and green are not greatly visible if compared with white or yellow lights.

(...)

As a ship's officer, I always kept a good lookout and kept out of the way of yachts when I was in open waters but nonetheless my advice to cruisers is to keep out of the way of big ships. You may have right of way but you may not want that to be your epitaph.

Aye // Stephen
Absolutely right! A 25W lightbulb on the 3-colour masthead light - a good illumination for the windex. Nothing else was permitted and we more than once had the feeling as if a change of course came rather late, leaving us already in a

Rule 17 situation (i): Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.. and that (the tension is rising) before you find yourself in the a

Rule17 a(ii) situation ...The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her manoeuvre alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules. ... did he see my dim light or didn't he...

or then even in a Rule 17 ( situation ...When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision .

So, don't even get into a Rule 17 (i) situation and change course before the big partner sees you.

Hopefully the new generation of brighter led-lights will enable the big partner to recognize us vessels unter sail earlier! Or the already mentioned strobe light?

And as I believe that we can count on a proper lookout by sight and hearing in waters of dencer traffic (coastal, and traffic lines), can we saliors count on this proper lookout by sight on the high sees? Isn't it better nowadays to equip our yachts with AIS and /or Radar Target Enhancers (SEA ME or other brands)?

Uwe

SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #43
Rear Admiral

Correction:

or then even in a Rule 17 ( b ) situation ...When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision .

...sorry,'b' in brackets produced unwanted emoticon.

Uwe

SY AQUARIA

[/quote]

More on my Centurion 32:
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #44
S/V Waterdancer

Home Port: Winthrop, MA
Vessel Name: Waterdancer

Quote:
No Jeanne, this mistake cannot be made, at least not from a ship's bridge, as the masthead light (which a yacht should not be showing when under sail alone) is too low for that.

<SNIP>

Regarding the issue of shining a light into the wheelhouse windows of a large merchant ship; if you can do that you are way too close! Better to get out of the way early instead. As a ship's officer, I always kept a good lookout and kept out of the way of yachts when I was in open waters but nonetheless my advice to cruisers is to keep out of the way of big ships. You may have right of way but you may not want that to be your epitaph.

Aye // Stephen
I respectfully disagree that a light at the height of 60 feet could very well be misconstrued as a star. Unlikely from the bridge ot a tanker, but possible, especially on a starry clear night with no moon.

As far as shining lights onto the windows of a merchant ship:

Crossing over to the Bahamas from Miami, we once lost steerage. We had 30 knot norhterly winds and 12 ft seas running against the Gulf stream. THe 39 ft O'Day had a joke for an emergency tiller, which was barely managable. We were about 25 miles out from GOuverner's Cut in Miami.

So we declared a Pan Pan, and started running back to Miami under sail. It was about 2 am in the morning. We communicated our situation to the Coast Guard.

We saw this tanker in a collision course. We hailed the tanker, asking them to alter their course since we were limited in manouverability. No response... Our boat was very irresponsive to the rudder, gliding down the 12 foot waves in a run. So, we shot off two flares... no response. (No response from the CG either because they have been monitoring the situation)

With all effort, risking broaching, we were able to jibe the boat and get it into irons, as the tanker passed by.

If we had not been able to do that, the next 2 flares were loaded to fire it onto the tanker's deck ! Perhaps that would have gotten their attention.

Later on we encountered 2 tugs, coming from both directions. We were able to get in contact with one of them, who had apparently been monitoring our situation. He immediately changed course. We asked him to relay the information to the other Tug, who changed course also, and we were able to pass between them with plenty of safety.

I have AIS now. (Well I had one on my 36, now I need to install a new one on my 43). It is a 2 channel receive only, and has been one of the most important safety instrument on the boat.

In my waters, I consider the following priority for safety:

Chartplotter, depth sounder, Radar, AIS (on chartplotter)

If I was in the carribean or in remote locations, I would probably say:

Depth Sounder, Sonar, Chartplotter, Radar, AIS

WaterDancer 1990 Irwin 43 CC

Nomad 1984 Catalina 36 (sold)

BostonLiveaboards

Boston, MA / USA
Waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #45
Lieutenant

The latest news over here is on the basis of the maritime authorities report on the collision. Basically, on the evidence they consider this young girl unprepared and untrained to undertake such a venture. Read the gist of it here; http://www.news.com.au/story/0,2754,...9-1248,00.html

Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #46
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
"Rule 36: Signals to Attract Attention

Colregs for the Yachties > The Collisions Regulations > Part D - Sound and Light Signals > Rule 36: Signals to Attract Attention

If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel, any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorized elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided."

Reading Rule 36 carefully , It becomes clear that the use of a Strobe light which could be mistaken for ANY aid for navigation - Is illegal and becomes a hazard to those vessels underway. Specific examples include

the flashing lights of light houses and other navigation beacon lights. There the use of a strobe appears to be allowed ONLY when there are no other aids to navigation that could be visible to ships and other watercraft.
Whenever use of a strobe is discussed, Rule 36's "shall be avoided" is often paraphrased as "is forbidden". When we used our strobe, there was no chance that it would be mistaken for any other signal. Yes, I can think of many circumstances when a strobe should not be used, but there are many occasions when for visibility a strobe is the best and most visible safety signal available, and is in a place where it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation.

I see that Jessica, knowing that a ship was a scant 6 miles away, went below to lay down her head for 10 minutes?!! She's lucky. Her parents should be alarmed.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #47
Admiral

The report. or at least the news.com.au article about it, should give Jessica and her parents food for thought.

Given the findings of the report, if I was a sponsor I would be pulling out now. I am sure serious companies in the maritime field, such as SIMRAD, YANMAR etc would not want to be associated with an un-serious venture. Should Jessica continue with her plans and go ahead with the voyage then I hope all will go well for her but should it not then what would public opinion be? Would SIMRAD and the other companies want to be known as sponsors of a venture against the recommendations of maritime safety inspectors?

Jessica may be determined (or misled), her parents may be determined but sponsors should not be supporting a death or glory stunt.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #48
Rear Admiral

Quote:
We saw this tanker in a collision course. We hailed the tanker, asking them to alter their course since we were limited in manouverability. No response... Our boat was very irresponsive to the rudder, gliding down the 12 foot waves in a run. So, we shot off two flares... no response.
I would not say that this is "normal procedure" on high seas, but also out of own experience, this kind of not sticking to the rules does happen not too seldom, leaving us of the opinion of giving way, no matter what.

Rules are one thing. This kind of experience, how it really is, how others deal with the rules, is another thing. It is the experience we gained over many, many miles of sailing. An experience, I did not have, when I was 16.

Many years ago, here in Germany there was planned a round the world trip with a remote controlled sailboat. There were no doubts of the ability that this high tech boat will stick to the rules - maybe better than a boat with a real skipper. But the authorities stopped this project for two reasons: no proper lookout and no chance to use seamanship that evolves from experience.

It was almost the same like the idea of sending children around the globe. Remote controlled by parents and sponsores, without experience and no valuable seamanship on board...

Uwe

SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #49
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

She is off again - has not run into anything yet.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/tra...tml?autostart=1

And

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...16-421,00.html

THERE were fresh concerns over Jessica Watson's solo venture when she failed to log her journey with either Coastguard or the Volunteer Marine Rescue.

She failed to log her trip when she sailed out of the Gold Coast yesterday.

Not doing so is not illegal, but is considered a safety no-no in boating circles

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #50
Commander

Getting back to the slightly offtopic use of strobes on yachts... just pinched this off another website where solo sailors are currently being discussed... writer is a tanker master/officer.

"I have several yacht-encounter stories but will risk boring the readers of this thread with only one: A laden VLCC ( note.. VLCC = Very Large Crude Carrier .. probably 200,000 tonnes deadweight) from Persian Gulf to Aruba, off the coast of Brazil. Around 0100 the 2nd mate reports a bright flashing light off the port bow. Drifting buoys can sometimes be found in those waters, but not usually with the light still operating. Small echo on the radar which didn't appear to have any appreciable motion. Alter course slightly to pass closer and at about a mile can see the outline of a mast and sails in the moonlight. Alter course again and when the bow is abeam the yacht at half a cable distance, sound the forward fog-horn. The timing was such that as the bridge passed, a naked man and woman appeared in the cockpit of the yacht staring up at us. I have often wondered who they were, and if they ever went to sea again."
Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #51
Admiral

Frank!

J

SY WATERMELON |

Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #52
Ensign

As some one else has reported Jessica has set sail again on her test sail to Sydney.

The media here have, predictably, turned on her and she is now getting a lot of negative press.

I don't think I can question her ability to "sail a yacht", but there is a lot more to a undertaking a voyage than holding the tiller and setting the sails. Something her parents seem to have overlooked.

Some of the comments coming from her camp are puzzling to say the least. After the very damming AMSA report her parents came out and said that they had already implemented most of there recommendations. If so, why didn't they do this BEFORE she left on her test sail and put her life in danger. Also nothing has been mentioned either by themselves or Jessica on her parents sailing background and experience. As they seem to be the ones running this foolhardy venture.

I would have also thought that a far more exacting test (than the sail to Sydney) and one which would shown if Jessica is ready. Would have been a voyage to NZ (As Kay Cottee did). But this I suspect would have taken too long and left her too old to claim the record! The reason for all the rushing and poor preparation. Also a record that should be scrapped immediately by all governments ASAP.

She maybe a very mature and intelligent 16 year old but as her first voyage has shown I don't think that she or her parents have any idea of what they are about to undertake.

All I can say is that I wish her all the best and fair weather.

Regards
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #53
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solero View Post
Also a record that should be scrapped immediately by all governments ASAP.

She maybe a very mature and intelligent 16 year old but as her first voyage has shown I don't think that she or her parents have any idea of what they are about to undertake.
I agree that record categories of youngest to do something dangerous should be stricken from the record books.

I read in one of the news reports that her mother says that they have insurance to pay for some of the rescue if it is needed. Do you think that this adult doesn't understand that the objections to this girl's sail is about keeping her alive, not keeping rescue costs down?

Poor girl, doesn't sound like there is a responsible adult in her life.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #54
Commander

The other day I read in October 'Yachting Monthly' that 'supporters' of the english boy who went around earlier this year are pushing for a knighthood for him.... his solo nonstop voyage 'south of all the great Capes' involved about 6 stops, Falmouth, Portugal(?) the Cape, Oz, NZ... and then home through Panama..... I don't know whether to larf or cry
Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #55
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
The other day I read in October 'Yachting Monthly' that 'supporters' of the english boy who went around earlier this year are pushing for a knighthood for him....
Laugh or cry? I cry. In fact, I have been crying for a long time; ever since Francis Chichester was knighted. I am not saying that these men and women who have sailed solo around the world and been knighted for it have not done great things. Their achievements have been fantastic but should they receive knighthoods for it? In my opinion, definitely not. Each and every one of them has broken the golden rule of maintaining a lookout at all times. In essence, knighting these people is the Crown sanctioning an illegal action.

It may be somewhat flippant but if the Queen is to sanction illegal actions then she may as well hand out knighthoods and medals to bank robbers.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #56
Rear Admiral

little late though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
... A laden VLCC ( note.. VLCC = Very Large Crude Carrier .. probably 200,000 tonnes deadweight) from Persian Gulf to Aruba, off the coast of Brazil. Around 0100 the 2nd mate reports a bright flashing light off the port bow. Drifting buoys can sometimes be found in those waters, but not usually with the light still operating. Small echo on the radar which didn't appear to have any appreciable motion. Alter course slightly to pass closer and at about a mile can see the outline of a mast and sails in the moonlight. Alter course again and when the bow is abeam the yacht at half a cable distance, sound the forward fog-horn. The timing was such that as the bridge passed, a naked man and woman appeared in the cockpit of the yacht staring up at us. I have often wondered who they were, and if they ever went to sea again."
oh, yeah, the strobe light attracting other boats instead of warning them to stay away. A very good reason not to use a strobe light under normal conditions and as long as you are not in a situation where you need to get the attention of others: in distress situations. For these moments, that hopefully never happen, we have a strobe light on the person (MO, and EPIRB buoys are equipped with a strobe. It would be awful, if these lights loose their initial intention of communicating a distress situation.

But still, a world wide apperciated strobe of defined colour and frequency only carried by crafts under sail, that clearly can be distinguished from other strobes would be nice!

Uwe

SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #57
Lieutenant

Oh dear, they are now lining up to be the youngest young lady to sail around the world: Abby Sunderland from the US is about to have ago come November. Mark my words restrictions will apply to this foolishness that may affect all who venture out to sea in the not too distant future!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #58
Admiral

Perhaps we should all petition Guinness Book of Records to drop this foolishness of "youngest to sail around the world". That would put a quick stop to it, I think.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #59
Lieutenant

Young Jessica has received a letter from Andrew Cape, an Australian sailor with long distance credentials : http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2831...5014090,00.html

Don't think it will make any difference at this stage who advises the girl not to go, she sets off this weekend.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #60
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Mark my words restrictions will apply to this foolishness that may affect all who venture out to sea in the not too distant future!
The November edition of Yachting Monthly lends weight to your claim as it quotes the Chief Executive of the RYA as saying, " I see no merit in so-called records where the objective is to be the youngest".

Rod Carr, the CE, has voiced "grave resovations about the continuing drive by teenagers to become the youngest circumnavigator." The publication continues, "He fears that if one of the youngsters meets with disaster, calls for sailing to be regulated would affect ordinary yachtsmen."

I fear that articles like the one I refer to will continue to apear in yachting journals as will forum debates until this madness is brought to an end. Hopefully that will happen without being preceeded by a disaster but, unfortunately, I doubt that.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk