Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

View Poll Results: Killing Cetaceans for any reason
Yes 8 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
Admiral

I don't disagree with either triton or jerjacko. The hunting of whales is unnecessary today. However, I still fail to seee why we can justify the sustainable killing of one mamal but not another.

I fully understand the arguement against all killing and the promotion of a vegetarian lifestyle. What I cannot understand is the purely emotive process of selecting a few species for total protection whilst we continue to hunt others. I am just trying to undestand the logic here.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdistance View Post
The same grandmother that told me about red whale meat, also told me about Vikings !

In fact to this day children in Eastern England are still warned about Vikings - I used to go to bed without turning off the light. The political and cultural grouping known as the 'Anglo-Danes' was born out of the trauma of some of the earliest Viking attacks on England.

In 865 a Viking army etc. etc.
What has this to do with killing whales? It sounds as if Longdistance has a big chip on his shoulders about an event which took place 1250 years ago! I grew up within spitting distance of Lindisfarne, which probably saw more viking raids than any other part of the country. This has not left me, or any normal people I know, with such a prejudiced attitude. Neither do I know of any children who have been warned about vikings. I would say it is farbetter to warn them about present day issues such as drunken driving, pedofiles, drugs etc.

I believe that the harbouring of long-term prejudices (and Longdistance's is REALLY long-term) is counter productive and will only lead to increasing the number of problems in this world. We have enough of these without compounding them further with an anti-viking lobby.

My views about whales is that all killing should be stopped, but Nausikaa has a point. How do we justify the killing of one animal but not another?

James Collingwood

Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
imported_admin

This thread has been moved here from the "Sailing/Cruising" board. It has gravitated away from the actual topic of discussion and as such is better to continue the debate on this "General" board.

Can I appeal to all contributors to this thread from here on to maintain a non-confrontational attitude in discussing and debating this very contentious and emotive issue. Cruiser Log is proud of it's reputation as a "friendly" community so let's attempt to continue this topic without attacks on individual personalities or being seriously emotional.

This is a very interesting topic so please continue the debate.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Admin
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #18
Ensign

Gosh, where have I been? For the last 40 years the whole topic of whaling, in any positive light, has generally been taboo in my family. When I was eight I received a toy whaling ship as a birthday gift, complete with whales on deck being "processed". Dad let me keep the ship, but pried the whales off the deck. I think if he had had time he would have substituted containers in their place.

The only possible exception to the ban on whaling in my family would have been for aboriginal tribes such as the Aleuts, etc. Have whale numbers finally come up enough where we can consider nudging on a ban?

Recently in the Sandwich Isles I saw a great number of humpbacks, porpoises, etc, but not nearly enough for my liking. More recently I was able to enjoy watching "K pod" while coming through Lopez Pass in the San Juans but still didn't see as many as I would have liked to have seen, -not that they're being hunted .

When I first saw this topic I had some visions of cruisers shooting at whales for pleasure with rifles or hand guns. Glad to see this wasn't the case.

If whale populations have recovered sufficiently to allow some culling, I could possibly understand. Elk and deer were cited as an example of another species in this thread. Colorado at the turn of the last century had only one elk and no deer sighted during an entire year. The population had been so impacted by commercial hunting there simply weren't any left. Herds were brought in from Wyoming to resupply and a ban was put into effect for over 40 years. By contrast, There are so many elk and deer in some regions of Colorado now 107 years later that they can actually be considered a pest and are a major road hazard. Since Rocky Mtn. National Park can't be opened for hunting, professionals have been brought in. If there is any doubt of the need for this, check the condition of the animals and the land, -Animals starving and land overgrazed.

I just don't really see a similarity as so far I can't see how humpbacks could "overgraze" and I still don't see as many as I'd like to.

-Andreas

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

-Dreaming of (much) larger boats!
Kaptain von Klepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Admiral

Hi Andreas,

I am the one who mentioned elk, kudu etc.

The comparisson I made was not related to overgrazing, even if that is a problem in many places. What I did say was that I cannot understand is the purely emotive process of selecting a few species for total protection whilst we continue to hunt others. I fail to see the logic in hunting one mamal and than saying we should protect another just because it is a mamal.

I note that you are in Chile. Good on you! Must be the most beautiful place I have ever visited - and such friendly people.

Aye,

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote