Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Lieutenant

What is a sailing experiance worth?

I can not put this into sailing terms, but how would you get experience in something new? Like sailing?

I can only put it to what I have done so that is farming. I know when I farmed I learned something 3 times.

We were combining wheat and a guy pulled up in a small pick up truck. He drove right up to the field. Waited till I banked in the gravity wagon and asked me. "how much to show me how to run this machine for 30 mins". I was kinda like what? He explained. He is being left 600 acres and has been a insurance salesman for the last 22 years. He has no idea what he is doing but didn't what his brother to run him under. I told him I would show him how to run the machine, but he has to finish the next 300 acres. He said deal. I used older equipment at the time and he way happy to clear it out when he clogged it up (pain in the but). We also changed out sheer blades about a 2 hour task.

He was hands in and very happy. At the end of the day he went away. 3 days latter we were out baling straw. Guess who pulled up. He got out of his truck with his gloves and his first words were "what do you need me to do". I explained I had all the hired help I could afford. He said this is for free. He did a great job. At the end of the day he offered us all a few beers. We chatted. This old boy had money. I mean real money. I asked him kinda kidding. Do you want to leaned how to may hay? He was like hell ya. So for the next 4 days he showed up. Late each day as we never told him when to show up. As he was not working for us but with us.

There is a difference. He was turned out on the mower. That job sucks. We set around and drank beer. Then he was turned out on the rake. We set around and drank beer. The next day he racked some more. Then he got to help us grease and service the equipment. (he did it all we explained how to do it as we drank beer). When bailing time came up he was late as we started early while the water was still heavy on the hay (first load to go out). He showed up in his little pick up with brand new gloves in hand and started throwing bales. We loaded and loaded. He was great. He stuck around every time till he was the last guy to leave.

When it came time to put the bales up. He was the first one to volunteer to stack in the pole barn (a very hot job). He stacked and slated with 2 others for many hours. Many truck loads. At the end of the days of this we put up over 6k bales. The final count was done and he was there for it all. He was just joining in so to say.

He didn't know it, but this was pay time.All were handed there envelopes. He never even looked in his. Each of the rest were looking and doing the mental math. He Never even looked in his envelope. He said "I do not want this, I have learned more then I thought I would and I really appreciate you letting me help you out, but I can not take this". I said you have to take it, you did as much if not more then most of us. You earned it. He said fine. I'll make you a deal. Robert said his wife is pregnant and doesn't have health insurance. I want my money given to him.

With a deal that he will get insurance and you will let me help you plant out next year. I said its you money and time. I'll be here. He said I'll be here. That was that. Robert got a 2500.00 bonus that day.

Brian Kimball to this day farms 3k acres and I see him weekly. The pay was very cheap, for the experience. His time and labor gave him that, not the money. Think about it. I paid him 2500 bucks to learn how to make 400k a year net. He turned it down. Because the experience was worth it. I do get to bale his straw. I get to bale it and keep it. I havn't spoke to this man in a VERY long time. We just do our thing. I didn't screw him, he didn't screw me.