Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Ensign

As a sailor wannabe, I am very interested in the experiences of people that have been there done that (or still doing that). Since I am in just the planning stages of my switch to the liveaboard life I have this question. What one thing would you have done differently. Be it something you would've put on your boat, a skill you would've learned, place to anchor, etc. And no fair saying you would've done it earlier

Thanks ahead of time for any and all responses!

oh yeah, and apologies if you've seen this post on other liveaboard forums on other sites. I'm asking the question everywhere !

No boat, just a dream

Tracking the dream
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Famous advice is " go simple , go small, go now." I'd pick something that does not leak! Neither the hull nor the cabin nor the tanks. Well balanced sail plan. Get something you don't have to do too much to, better spending time cruising than working on a yacht. Good luck to you, hope your dreams become a reality. Oh, and being absolutely ruthless in cutting ties with "normal" living, the hardest part in my experience.

Pete.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
Ensign

Pete- Thanks for the reply. I've posted this same question on a couple of other forums, and get pretty much the same answer

So I'm working on that plan, and shortening it as much as possible! Sailing classes coming up, then we'll just take it

from there and see what happens!

Thanks again for the reply !

No boat, just a dream

Tracking the dream
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

No worries CB,

Nothing wrong with going as crew for a few years. Or get down to a yacht club and have a beer and let the word out that you want to learn to sail. Most of the sailers I've met love showing people the lines. Really good way to go as you get to experience different yachts and methods as well as helping the skipper.

Cheers

Pete.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Lowestoft

"Famous advice is " go simple , go small, go now."

Fantastic