Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Why we love to sail

"......and then if you pull on this here ropey thingy we.........oops"
Attached Thumbnails
Wynand Extreme2.jpg  

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
Admiral

And, one day, I'm going to invent a canting keel type of thing....because this is bulls**t.....
Attached Thumbnails
8a4d7aafa855770fdd9261e420f1e563.jpg  

Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Who rocked the boat?
Attached Thumbnails
yacht on the rocks.jpg  

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Admiral

Permission to come aboard?
Attached Thumbnails
Impact-2.jpg  

Old 10-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

which incident was that?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 AM   #6
Admiral

It's Amorita vs Sumurun.
Here's a link to a movie/documentary which grew from the incident.
Amorita and Sumurun: the most dramtatic yacht-racing crash of recent history: video | Classic Boat Magazine

Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Fort McMurray
Vessel Name: SV Sapphire

Tell me that is a Photo Shop adventure and not a real picture!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
And, one day, I'm going to invent a canting keel type of thing....because this is bulls**t.....
That's why the enlightened few sail catamarans
Old 10-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #9

Steve_h:

I don't see much difference

except when the cat's flip it's far more spectacular! And they don't pop back up on their own like a monohull either...

Don't you agree?

Old 10-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire26 View Post
Tell me that is a Photo Shop adventure and not a real picture!
It's real and very scary if you watch the video.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Steve_h:

I don't see much difference

except when the cat's flip it's far more spectacular! And they don't pop back up on their own like a monohull either...

Don't you agree?
That's like comparing a Ferrari with my 4 x 4
and there is nothing more stable than an upside down catamaran !
Old 12-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
Admiral

Joined the crew for the annual Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach race on Friday, 4th December. Only 30 miles or so. Easy. In a biggish boat, a Macgregor 65, we set off with a wind blowing toward our destination. We were buzzing along at 12 knots assisted by the Gulf Stream which was setting north at about 5 knots.

Then the wind swung 180°. So we completed the race with 26 to 35 knots on the nose, blowing against the Gulf Stream. Every time we tacked to starboard we were blown toward Antarctica at about a million miles an hour.

We had some notable gear failures and finished in a tad over 10 hours. Poo! There were several withdrawals. But..when we arrived at Sailfish Club of Florida, we were treated like royalty. What a good bunch of people. The attached pics show the calm before the storm.
Attached Thumbnails
101_0566.jpg   101_0570.jpg   101_0579.jpg  

Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 AM   #13
Admiral

Merry Christmas....
Attached Thumbnails
12310545_10153017996361706_1324846827499485807_n.jpg  

Old 01-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #14
Admiral

Every now and again I feel the need to question my love of boats. This morning, I was head down-**** up in the lazarette of the boat I am currently 'improving' here in the Caribbean. There is a 7kw Northern Lights genny (big enough to power a small town). The battery is stuffed. It is almost inaccessible which is one of the reasons why it is stuffed.

While I was in this position, I noticed that a cockpit drain had been repaired with a length of electrician's tape. Yay! I'll fix that. Of course there is no sense in not checking all the other through hulls in the same area, which includes: One more cockpit drain, the water inlet and outlet from the genny. Two deck drains, the main engine raw water outlet and a manual bilge pump outlet.

Eight holes below the water line and just 8 worm-drive clamps. Not 16. Eight! And, of those eight, just one could be adjusted with a screwdriver. The other seven were corroded and sort-of disintegrated under the pressure of a Dave with a flat blade. Faaark! So, five hours later, and that little mess is under control and shipshape. And please remember, all this and the next bit are within the confines of the lazarette on a 50'er..... So:

Then I discovered whilst trying to exit, bum first, from the nether regions of the bote, that there is an encrusted bilge pump in a sumpy looking thing, forward of the genny. It seems there is a separate and unconnected bilge serviced by the world's oldest bilge pump. Not surprisingly, it is also stuffed (with a capital F). Not only that, but there is a layer of thick slime over the water within this sump which has been preventing the escape of a stink so vile, that I almost chundered after stirring this cess pit to life.

I have removed the old pump and hosed out the bilge with the assistance of a 110v sump pump and it is now clean and luvverly smelling thanks to the manufactures of hospital grade Lysol. I will buy a new pump at the chandlers later in the day. Of course, it is endlessly entertaining to go into the local marine store with the understanding that either one of two possibilities will emerge:
#1. "We don' 'ave such a t'ing mon." Or
#2. Sure, dat might only be $35 at West Marine in de States. But paradise is not cheep. Dat will be $90...plus de V.A.T."
All of this is accessed by the rental car I am paying $70 a day for. It's a clapped out Chrysler some-bloody-thing-or-other with 400,000 miles on the clock, which makes the sort of noises that, given it works and has brakes on at least one of the wheels, make me feel a little more confident about the state of the boat.

I am now sitting at a cafe. I drink alcohol only rarely, but have found a delightful beer, flavoured with red grapefruit and made by the local brewery. It's called Sands Radler. It's 2.5% alcohol and is served with deep fried wahoo fingers with mac and cheese and peas and rice. And, while I am getting a little tired of buying $10 worth of food for $25; it's bloody wonderful... And the Bahamian mama serving me has got the whole big teeth and protruding bum thing going on. Yay!

So, I am auditing my progress and, oddly, I am delighted that there are now less than 20 major items on the list.

But even when I am feeling that boats are a damned nuisance, I still have an enormous love for the places they can take me. It's just that sometimes it might be more profitable to take a plane.
Attached Thumbnails
radler-(7).jpg  

Old 01-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Scary stuff ! and to think people go to see with boats in that condition
It still sounds better than working on a boat in the UK winter....
Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Mate we all question our love at times. The week before Christmas there was that smell one never wants to have coming from one of the forward bilges in front of the sullage tanks.
The through hull fitting from the tank had after thirty years decided chrissy was going to stink.
There are two tanks built into hull side by side and the system was a house hold flush one.
In my infinite wisdom I thought it was time to upgrade the system.. New macerator luxury loo with the tanks cleaned and new piping. I even bought a macerator in line pump to pump them out with a new whale hand pump backup with two Y valves.
Start of project was to remove four floor hatches...And the fun started all of the frames had rusted away underneath and that size was no longer able to be bought. Had to hand make the new frames and then hot dip gal. The bulkhead walls of the tanks were 2 X 19 mm marine ply with fibreglass coatings. Both tanks and both walls rotted. New marine ply cut and fitted to size the bote cote joined and sealed in to place. Then reglassed both tanks inside and bitcoted them as well.
All new hoses. There are two types of stainless clamps one has a stainless band and the other is full stainless. Have found in most boats the screw part is corroded that is the clamp with only a stainless band. all new full stainless clamps and the spayed with Soft Seal.
Finally finished today. Yahoo....Still love the boat.....But no kissy kissy for a while.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #17
Admiral

Pooh!

Nothing worse than a funny dunny. Thankfully the heads on the boat here seem to be in good order. The whole holding tank thing gives me the s**ts (Ha!) but with the modern concerns for the in-harbour environment (a good thing) it's one of life's unpleasant necessities.

Cheers Squiz.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #18
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

I have to admit I could have passe on that one myself. Only had the days between chrissy and new year off work so have been doing a few hours every night. Glad it is done. Then today we were having a day to enjoy the old girl did the boat parade here in mandurah and put her back in the pen and thought would'nt it be so much easier to get in and out of tender and kayaks if one had a half marlin board that sat to one side of the rear ladder. So now it looks like a 600mm X 700mm fold up jarra marlin board is the night time project.
That soft seal in a spray can is a delight and a must have on a yacht....Same material as you find on tool bits when you buy them. Spray every thing that looks like it may have a thread or may be metal.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #19
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Being sleepless the other night due to heat and mozzies, I looked out at the full moon reflecting off tiny ripples in the river like the eyes of a thousand winking cats, and as it became light a freighter and then a liner cruised past silently. The water around my yacht was boiling with prawns, occasionally gaining enough enthusiasm to leap out of the water. Lazy pelicans glided by in search of an easy feed.

By the time the day had begun I felt refreshed and reassured that life isn't all that bad. Yeah, it's worth the effort.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #20
Admiral

Off Sugar Loaf Cay, Sea of Abaco. Bahamas. 23 degrees, sheltered, anchored in 10' (low tide), the water is warm and as clear as an aquarium. Can't catch a fish but I don't care. The sun is shining, the snorkeling is fabberlus and there are sails dotted across the horizon. I was going to sail into Marsh Harbour anchorage today but that seems altogether too much trouble. Perhaps a trip to Hope Town as that would be an easy reach. Current Location : N26.33.1 09/ W77.01.021.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00095.jpg  

Tags
sail