Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Ensign

I writing on behalf of my mate and also myself regarding boat yards in S.E.Asia. Both of us have built our boats here in Melbourne, Australia. We are now both at Yaringa on Westernport Bay in Victoria, and looking for boatyards in S.E.Asia (not necessarily the same yard) to finish our boats.

He has built a 50'x 25' catamaran which is completed except for the exterior finishing work which involves heavy sanding (torture boards) of epoxy filler on deck and hull above the waterline, and then painting. He has all the materials for this, and also needs an upholster for all the cushions. He prefers to comes out of the water, but this is not absolutely required as he can beach his boat and work between the tides.

I've built a 36' steel cutter and require a variety of skills. Mostly a good carpenter, but also hydraulics (steering), some plumbing, some electical work, etc, but mostly a good carpenter. My strategy is to sail north to Davao, Philipiines to see what facilities are available, and then continue north to Port Carmen and then to Subic Bay until I find the situation I'm looking for. There are probably other places I not aware of. I don't need to come out of the water. I might even get to Viet Nam. I know they don't have a big recreational marine industry, but the vietnamese are wonderfully inventive and hard working and good craftsmen.

Hoping you can offer some advice-

Cheers, Jim

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Jim,

Is that a Cat and a Steel Cutter, Cutter - Sail or power ??

If you were both going first to the Philippines then there is probably no better place to start than Mike Allen at the Boat Shop just south of Port Carmen on the North East corner of Cebu Island in the Visayas in the central Philippines.

Suggest you talk to him or his son - they have all the facilities that you mention in you opening post. Here is their Web site to give you info and contact details:- MIKE ALLEN

Disclaimer: although I have sailed many of their multihulls - I have No commercial interest with their yard.

Richard

Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Richard for your prompt reply. Both the cat and steel cutter are sailing vessels. At $9.50/manhour the rates at the Boatshop seem to be far in excess to what is being charged at other boatyards in the Philippines (ie Pinoy boat yard at Port Carmen). Is the extra cost justified?

Cheers, Jim
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthom View Post

Thanks Richard for your prompt reply. Both the cat and steel cutter are sailing vessels. At $9.50/manhour the rates at the Boatshop seem to be far in excess to what is being charged at other boatyards in the Philippines (ie Pinoy boat yard at Port Carmen). Is the extra cost justified?

Cheers, Jim
Wow!, that is expensive!

However, here is another yard at Maya Maya : 1$US = 44 Peso

Their rates $8.75/man/hour

C L I C K

I don't know what the Pinoy yards cost.

If you don't need to be in a western yard, the Philippines has many places where one can pay daily/monthly rates to your own employees.

There are slipways (Designed for local fishing craft) in Malaysia and Thailand - again where one can employ local labour - language is the number 1 problem. I live in Thailand and can employ carpenters (fairly skilled) for as little as 5,000 Baht/month = $170.US works out at around $7/day - 0R exactly 0.82 cents US/man/hour.

A good contact would be Martyn Willes at the Puerto Galera Yacht Club - email mwillesATpgyc.org.

The yacht club can organise local craftsmen to work on your boat Website CLICK

Richard
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks again Richard;

I would think that the Phillipines is possibly the best country for mimimising the language problem. I like the idea of hiring my own workmen and will start by making enquiries around Davao which is outside of the typhoon area and reputed to be one of the friendliest area of the Philippines and also closest proximity to Australia-

Cheeers, Jim

Tags
asia