Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Good Day everyone,

I heard recent account of dammaged coral reef in the Andaman islands. I am not sure of the cause, bleaching, 2004 Tsunami where proposed. Has anyone been there lately? I am considering sailing up there in December, the bureaucracy being a pain in the neck, if the coral reefs are not worth a dive, the whole trip could be a waste of time.

Fair Wind,

Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post

Good Day everyone,

I heard recent account of dammaged coral reef in the Andaman islands. I am not sure of the cause, bleaching, 2004 Tsunami where proposed. Has anyone been there lately? I am considering sailing up there in December, the bureaucracy being a pain in the neck, if the coral reefs are not worth a dive, the whole trip could be a waste of time.

Fair Wind,
Hi Francis,

The reports I have had, do not mention serious problems with coral. Having said that, The Nicobars were very badly by the Tsunami. The west coast of the islands on the west coast of Sumatra were lifted over a meter so that the fringing coral was brought into higher water temperature, resulting in bleaching. You are right about the bureaucracy what with rules and limits as to reporting and limits on where you can go -- still only 11 islands.

The Best coral and diving is Rutland Island 11d 24' N x 92d 39 E

Richard

Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi Francis,

The reports I have had, do not mention serious problems with coral. Having said that, The Nicobars were very badly by the Tsunami. The west coast of the islands on the west coast of Sumatra were lifted over a meter so that the fringing coral was brought into higher water temperature, resulting in bleaching. You are right about the bureaucracy what with rules and limits as to reporting and limits on where you can go -- still only 11 islands.

The Best coral and diving is Rutland Island 11d 24' N x 92d 39 E

Richard
Hi Richard,

I picked up the info from an update in Noonsite and friends that sailed the archipelago a couple of season ago. If the lifting caused bleaching I would assume (always a dangerous endeavor) only the shallow coral would be affected. Having said that the bleaching I've seen in the Maldives was as deep as some 20 meters, some reefs were affected and some not.

Let's see if the topic attract more feedback.

Fair Winds,

Tags
island