Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Ensign

I'd like to sail from the Mediterranean through the Suez to the the Red Sea and perhaps onwards, as crew. If anyone is familiar with this region or route, I would love to hear from you about what it's like to make this trip.

I'm having trouble even getting started: It seems to be the right season and I'm sure there are many boats going that way, but I'm not finding them or some reason. I've tried several crewing websites. Does anyone have suggestions about how I might continue to search more successfully? Perhaps it's because the season starts around September, so most crews are already set? Would it be advisable to make my way to Turkey or Croatia or even the Suez, and then personally asking around the marinas?

Or perhaps, are there just not as many trips in this region of the world, because of issues of piracy or something else--what?

Thanks so much.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Suez on the World Cruising Wiki - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Admiral

Though piracy is a consideration, in general there are few boats going from the Med to the Indian Ocean because it's the "wrong way". The winds blow in the temperate and tropical latitudes from East to West, making sailing in the opposite direction a lot more difficult. As a result, you will find the majority of cruising sailors sailing from East to West, from Asia to the Red Sea and the Med.

You might find some boats, but more likely further to the east of the Med. Since you haven't had much luck via the various crewfinders, it might be there just aren't many, if any, boats heading that way this season. Have you made your way to the various hangouts for cruising sailors and talked with any? That is probably your best chance of finding a spot.

Good luck,

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks J,

Does the number of boats going a certain route fluctuate widely from season to season?

Is that because of the weather or is it just that independent vessels do not conform to a predictable broader pattern? I'm just curious about the general trends-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

Though piracy is a consideration, in general there are few boats going from the Med to the Indian Ocean because it's the "wrong way". The winds blow in the temperate and tropical latitudes from East to West, making sailing in the opposite direction a lot more difficult. As a result, you will find the majority of cruising sailors sailing from East to West, from Asia to the Red Sea and the Med.

You might find some boats, but more likely further to the east of the Med. Since you haven't had much luck via the various crewfinders, it might be there just aren't many, if any, boats heading that way this season. Have you made your way to the various hangouts for cruising sailors and talked with any? That is probably your best chance of finding a spot.

Good luck,

J
Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Admiral

No, I don't think there's much fluctuation from year to year, though there are a lot more boats cruising now compared to 20 years ago.

With the increase in piracy there seem to be more boats that are avoiding going up the Red Sea and through the Suez Canal than 15 or more years ago. South Africa seems to be seeing more boats as the alternate route heading West. However, the Trade Wind routes are pretty standard. For example, the South Pacific crossing from California or Mexico West is nicknamed the "Pacific Puddle Jump" or the "Coconut Milk Run". There are always a couple boats that will vary the route a bit, but not many. The year we cruised Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands we found that we were most often the only boat in an anchorage, and I don't think there were ever more than three boats in any one place. It's just not a place many boats go to. Papeete, Tahiti, on the other hands, sees hundreds of boats arriving from the West coasts of the Americas every year. It's easy to get there, easy to move on.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Also see: "Hitch-hiking the Oceans as Sailing Crew" on our World Cruising Wiki - HERE. Gives you a rough idea of how the cruising fleet moves around the world.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks, Lighthouse.

I saw that; it mentions Suez --> Indian Ocean during Sept-Nov, which is why I thought I would find more boats, since it seems to be the right season & direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Also see: "Hitch-hiking the Oceans as Sailing Crew" on our World Cruising Wiki - HERE. Gives you a rough idea of how the cruising fleet moves around the world.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Suggest that if you're wanting to crew in those waters that you simply meet a boat going the opposite way than your original plan. You'll still see what you'd like.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
Admiral

I agree with redbopeep.

Make your way to Aden. I used to work there and there were always 3 or 4, sometimes more, boats stopping off there before dashing up the Red Sea. Maybe Djibouti also is a gathering spot but I do not know this. Anyway, Aden does see a few cruising boats calling in before passing through the Straits of Bab-el-Mandeb. However, given their very limited number, you may have to wait a good while before being offered a berth.

I wish you luck in a part of the world I have no real desire to return to.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Ensign

dear sir im from egypt and i will aske for you