Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, I will be in Phuket on Nov 14th and want to check out Ko Lipe and the surrounding islands. I understand there is a speedboat from Ko Lanta. Does anyone know anything about that? Is there a boat running from Phuket? I would hate to have to take a bus to Pak Bara to catch a ferry.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Suzy Q

Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltea View Post
Hi, I will be in Phuket on Nov 14th and want to check out Ko Lipe and the surrounding islands. I understand there is a speedboat from Ko Lanta. Does anyone know anything about that? Is there a boat running from Phuket? I would hate to have to take a bus to Pak Bara to catch a ferry.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Suzy Q
Hi Suzy Q ,

Check the Koh Lipe web site :- http://www.kohlipethailand.com/

It is very informative. However as the high season has only just started - I am not sure if the ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta has started again. Check this Koh Lanta site :-

http://www.lantalanta.com/Transportation.htm

The problem is that Koh Lipe is in Satun Province and part of Tarotao Island's National Park in the Buthang group of Islands at the same latitude as the northern cape of Langkawi, Malaysia - a long long way from Phuket. (as an aside Lipe is no longer as nice as it used to be - mind you the same can be said for many places)

Richard

Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Suzy Q ,

Check the Koh Lipe web site :- http://www.kohlipethailand.com/

It is very informative. However as the high season has only just started - I am not sure if the ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta has started again. Check this Koh Lanta site :-

http://www.lantalanta.com/Transportation.htm

The problem is that Koh Lipe is in Satun Province and part of Tarotao Island's National Park in the Buthang group of Islands at the same latitude as the northern cape of Langkawi, Malaysia - a long long way from Phuket. (as an aside Lipe is no longer as nice as it used to be - mind you the same can be said for many places)

Richard
Hi Richard,

From my research I have found Tigerlinetravel.com. They seem to have 3 highspeed ferries with a "rigid" schedule. One ferry originates in Phuket. The price is 1200 Tb. I thought I would like to check out the Park as it doesn't seem to be so touristy. It appears that the season kicks off around the first of November. Remote is one of my favorite words.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes.

Suzy Q

Sarah
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi there,

Cruiserlog doesn't claim to be a travel agent - the High Season does start on the 1st November,

that is when prices are raised - but not necessarily when high season services resume as advertised.

The tiny island of Koh Lipe has some 60 resorts at the latest count which has meant that its basic infrastructural services are hard pushed - especially fresh water. (Although at this very time the area is suffering from continuous heavy rain - which should help)

Good Luck

Richard
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Richard,

WOW!!! I thought there might be a dozen "resorts" at most. The problem with water could be a major concern in the future. I have been keeping track of the current weather and you are right, I don't think I'll have to worry during the next 2 or 3 weeks. Ko Bulon Lae sounds less attractive but I thought I would check that island out as well as many of the uninhabited islands, while I was that far off the beaten track. I still want to check out Langkawi, which is nearby, so to speak. I am also hoping that there won't be too many tourists this early in the season.

I really appreciate the heads up.

Suzy Q
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Ken
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltea View Post
Hi Richard,

WOW!!! I thought there might be a dozen "resorts" at most. Suzy Q
Ferry service from Langkawi to Koh Lipe is available,

Check out http://www.telagaharbour.com/ there is a ferry that runs from Telaga to Koh Lipe on a daily basis. The folks here are very helpful call and get the information you need.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Ferry service from Langkawi to Koh Lipe is available,

Check out http://www.telagaharbour.com/ there is a ferry that runs from Telaga to Koh Lipe on a daily basis. The folks here are very helpful call and get the information you need.
Thanks again, Ken, I'll check it out.

Suzy Q