Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Who wants to endure this kind of stress?

READ BLOG - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Ensign

Be careful sharing links to blogs of those currently plying these dangerous waters. You could be putting them in more jeopardy.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingeditor View Post

Be careful sharing links to blogs of those currently plying these dangerous waters. You could be putting them in more jeopardy.
I am very aware of this but they themselves have shared this across the Net if you read their blog.

" ....can be shared with any publication interested in our experience."

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

I am very aware of this but they themselves have shared this across the Net if you read their blog.

" ....can be shared with any publication interested in our experience."
G'day & 'safe' sailing to y'all. I personally - for the life of me - can't understand why anyone would want to 'voluntarily' make a rational (?) decision to put themselves, their life's chosen partner & best mate, their boat & their whole future - - on an obvious 'collision-course' with potential 'death'. Taking such a stupid, self focused irrational self-chosen course through the 'most dangerous - pirate-infested waters that the world has ever experienced - leaves me wondering about their rational sanity. I was sure that to 'go cruising & 'enjoy' the oceans of the world & everything that goes with that chosen way of life IS totally the opposite of what they did. While I'm very pleased & relieved that - they made it safely, I see no reason to think that the 'captain' made the right call - - Captain's job is to ensure the safety of his vessel, his crew & himself & everything under his control. In this task, he failed miserably to adequately carry-out the correct fulfillment of his duties of 'Captain' - ie - person in charge.

'cruisingeditor' how nice to see you 'drop-in' & make a comment. I've only been a member for a very short while but have never seen you in here before. As a - cruising editor, I find it strange that you did not pick-up on the fact that these people published this 'total foolishness' internationally over the web - of their own free choice, for everyone to read. Bob nor anyone else - 'put them at risk' - they did that & they did that all by themselves - almost as if they were justified in so doing. Wonder if they ever took the time to consider - the possible death of their potential rescuers. I think NOT. Shame that !!! Exceptionally irresponsible & foolhardy decision - to say the very least !!! I also note that for a - cruising editor - you are not very forthcoming with any background about yourself, strange that. Why do you not fill in your 'profile' so the rest of us who maybe interested to get to know you better & your experiences, knowledge & qualifications - could more easily benefit from you wisdom. We could all learn form your travels & might better evaluate the 'relativity' of your comments. As I read it; 'cruise'/'cruising' - is to make a trip by sea for pleasure; to sail or travel over (a body of water) for pleasure. The adventure they willing chose - did not sound in any stretch of imagination - like pleasure.

I'll surely NOT be following their path - however - I'd be 'first cab of the rank' to 'sail the long way around' & take full extended advantage of the wonderful cruising & friendship to be experienced while sailing in South African waters. I thought that is/was what cruising was supposed to be all about. Sure will be my choice. Can't imagine why I would want to die before enjoying all those wonderful experiences, cruising grounds & comrade-ship that South Africa has to offer.

Enjoy your cruising everyone & do above all stay healthy & safe. Ciao, 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'
Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingeditor View Post

Strange way of thinking I would say.

In my humble opinion, sailing into the area the pirates frequent is what is putting these people in jeopardy.

Telling the whole world about their venture does not increase the threat as they are already doing that themselves and, as anyone who has worked in search and rescue will tell you, finding a single yacht on an ocean is a daunting task unless that yacht wants to be found and even then it can be difficult.

The blog itself worries me as much as the fact that these people are sailing into the area - in fact, more so. By making the choice to sail pirate infested waters and advertising the fact they will influence others to do the same. Now who is putting lives at risk? Read the blog and learn about the grandmother moving to Tennessee, the flag raining at Iwo Jima, Chuck fying from the deck of a carrier and you will see the pioneer spirit coming through like a red thread. Not a bad thing really but sailing the NW Indian Ocean in a yacht is not the same thing as colonising virgin territory, undertaking brave acts when at war nor will flying experience from carriers be of great help when the pirates do come (let's hope they don't).

To my mind, these people are putting their own lives at risk but that is their problem. What is far worse is that through their blog and their positions in the SSCA they will be influencing others to do the same.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote