Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Ensign

HI - we are planinga cruise into the maldives and I have been told to take 8 water and 8 fuel containers to pick up fuel and water - is this necessary or is there a piont where we can pick up fuel alongside?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Gails,

I can't ofer specific advice regarding refuelling. There has been some discussion on the Maldives here in the past. Perform a search on 'maldives' in the link (above, right, next to 'help')..here is one topic from previous discussions. http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php...amp;hl=maldives Best of luck and I am sure someone will be along to answer your question soon.

Cheers

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gails View Post
HI - we are planinga cruise into the maldives and I have been told to take 8 water and 8 fuel containers to pick up fuel and water - is this necessary or is there a piont where we can pick up fuel alongside?
Hi Gails,

Depending from where you are coming from to arrive in which part of the Maldives ?? - ie.. from the Med (Greece); from S.E. Asia; from Australia; from Africa ???

Depending what gallonage your built-in tanks hold ???

Depending on your Maldives cruising plan ???

The reason for the questions is that in some parts you will have to "Jerry Jug" diesel , petrol and water. In others you will be able to fuel from a barge. A couple of other places have fuel on pontoons. Water is more of a problem - not always 100% potable as it may be brakish and untreated; therefore not ideal to fill your tanks with suspect water.

Come back with some answers so we can be more helpful.

Regards

Richard

PS. Just spoken to friends in Chagos who were recently in the Maldives - they can provide info from a cruisers' point of view, once we know at little more about your boat and plans.

Also a good contact in the capital Male is Ahmed of :-

Alliance Management Services Co Pvt (AMSCO)

03-01 Filaa Building, Koli Umaru Maniku Goalhi, Male' Maldives

Tel:+960 333 8788, Mobile: +960 778 6444, Fax:+960 333 8688, VHF Channel 16, 67

amscoATdhivehinet.net.mv He is one of the best agents in the Maldives.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Ensign

thanks for the information - the marina at your link David might be a bit rich for our blood.

We are sailing out of the red sea for S E Asia. Where we land in the maldives will depend on fuelling and water as it is a delivery trip.

regards
Old 09-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gails View Post
When we were in Uligamu, the northermost island in the Maldives, we didn't need jerry cans to refuel. The fuel sellers come out in their small boat with 5 gallon cans and siphoned it into our tanks. And they were good at it too. They didn't spill a drop.

Refueling was pretty much hassle free, and the people who delivered it were courteous as well.

I would caution you about taking on water. We were supposed to get rain water, and whatever water they gave us turned our water jugs green with Algae by the time we arrived in Oman. I'm glad we didn't put their water into our tanks.

The Maldives are an awesome cruising destination. I wish I was there now.

Dave
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote