Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

I am currently preparing for a trip from Singapore up the Borneo coast to KK. As I would like to be flexible, but unfortunatley don't have an awful lot of time I was looking for options on where to leave the boat for a couple of weeks on my way to KK. Now Miri has a nice Marina I understand, as well as Brunei, but what about Bintulu and possibly Kuching? I couldn't find anything, but cannot believe there is nothing there - has any anyone been there? Amyone knows about other (quite) safe longterm (up to 4 months) places to leave a 38ft sailing yacht?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Admiral

We were last in Bintulu and Kuching about four or five years ago.

Bintulu is a large commercial basin with little swinging room or place to anchor. We dropped the anchor following instructions from the marine police and they took a line from us and tied it to the commercial concrete pier. It was okay for the two days we stopped and went into town, but Peter resecured the boat using chain to the concrete so it wouldn't chafe through our lines. I wouldn't leave the boat there. Storms in that area can be quite violent, and there was nothing there to secure the boat. http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon22.asp

Kuching, to get up into the town one must get your mast under a bridge. I have forgotten the height, but it was not high enough for our mast to get under. It might be 55' high, but do not take my word for it.

Otherwise, the boats continue up the river and anchor near the cement plant. The current is swift, sailboats only go up river with a rising tide, tidal range is between 2.5 and 5 meters depending upon moon phase and season. There is a place where the fishing boats refuel and get water, but very few private yachts go up the river. http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon24.asp

Sibu was even more difficult and insecure.

Cruising hasn't reached these places yet.

You will enjoy the area, and will find much to wonder at, but you need to take your time and be careful.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Jeanne, that helps - I guess sailing up from S'pore the first place to leave the boat would be Miri then, right?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Admiral

As far as I know, yes, unless you want to leave it in Brunei. Nice people there. But it would be anchored there, I believe. A serious consideration if you do choose to go to Brunei is what country you are flagged. Brunei requires advance visa for Australian citizens, and if not obtained, they will require that the boat leave immediately.

I have received good reports about Miri.

If you haven't sailed to Borneo before, understand that you must be ever vigilent, not all the oil rigs are well-lit. You would be wise to obtain the most up to date charts for the area.

Violent electrical storms come swooping off the coast, and though short-lived can be frightening. This is not a coast to blithely single-hand.

Fair winds

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Admiral

Short note to add to Jeanne's

Miri marina - very good reports from many who have stopped there.

Their website :- http://www.mirimarina.com/facilities.html

However, friends who did an engine change there, found that engineering facilities very limited.

Other than that :- Brunei , then Sutera , then Kudat if you want to leave the boat on the hard.

Richard