Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Question

14 Somali Pirates Captured by Warship

Created by sue. Last modified on 2008-09-08 12:02:51

Topic: Piracy Reports 2008

Countries: Somalia

As reported in the Somali Press and Reuters.

A warship off pirate-ridden Somali waters captured 14 pirates and destroyed their boat, the fisheries minister for the northern Puntland region said on Sunday.

"About 14 pirates came across a warship that we think could be American and all the pirates on board were captured and their boat destroyed," said Abdulqadir Muse Yusuf, the fisheries minister for the semi-autonomous region.

"We are still investigating the identity of the warship."

================================================== ===========================

Warning: Captured Yacht in use by Somalian Pirates

Created by sue. Last modified on 2008-09-08 13:53:31

Contributors:

Topic: Piracy Reports 2008

Countries: Somalia, Yemen

BE ALERT WHEN YOU SEE THIS YACHT IN OR NEAR SOMALIAN WATERS.

The Amel Super Maramu Carre D'as IV, captured by Somalian Pirates a week ago (see recent news item on noonsite), may be under use as a decoy vessel attacking other ships, warns Andrew Mwangura of the Seafarers Assistance Programme (SAP) in Kenya.

It appears that after the owners of Carre D’as IV were taken ashore, the yacht was taken to sea again by the heavily armed gunmen. While an attempt to sell the yacht at ports in the Gulf states can also not be ruled out, it is presumed that it is at present being used to hunt for other ships.

The SAP warns that the vessel likely is, or will be used to signal ships at sea as being under distress (simulating an engine failure or other emergency at sea), while hiding a small attack speedboat from view of any ships responding to the rescue.

Mwangura says that a small attack vessel of the type that can hide behind the Carre D'as IV "usually carries 5-7 heavily armed attackers (equipped with bazookas, assault guns like AK47, G3, FAL, M16 plus RPG - rocket propelled grenade launchers, as well as hand-grenades and/or mines). Such attack-boats do deliver a swift and heavy assault."

The Carre D’as IV (pictured here) is a 16 meter (53") ketch (two masts) with a doghouse-style dodger (fiberglass-enclosed cockpit). If you see this yacht, prepare for an attack and notify authorities immediately. For advice on what to do if you see this yacht, or indeed suspect you are being approached by pirates, please read article here.

All vessels are advised to stay well off of the Somalia coast (200nm at least, wherever possible), travel in convoys, and to keep a specific eye out for the Carre D'as IV. The most dangerous area is reported to be 12/14 degrees North and 046/053 degrees East.

================================================== =========================

07.09.2008: 1020UTC: Posn: 12:46N - 045:54E: Gulf of Aden.

Pirates, in two speedboats, chased a bulk carrier underway. Owners contacted the IMB Piracy Reporting Centre (PRC) for assistance. Duty officer at the PRC immediately informed the authorities to render necessary assistance and relayed the same to the master. Master advised to enforce anti piracy measures to delay / prevent boarding. The authorities advised the Centre that every effort was being made to send assistance to the vessel. At 1343, UTC master reported that pirate boats had stopped chasing and that vessel was continuing passage to destination port.

================================================== ==========================

06.09.2008: 0950 UTC: Posn: 12:54.9N – 047:05.1E: Gulf of Aden.

A blue-hulled vessel was spotted at a range of 6 nm by a tanker underway. A small speed craft was released from the mother vessel and it started approaching the tanker. Alarm raised, speed increased, coalition warship contacted. Speedboat, with five persons armed with machine guns opened fire. When coalition warship and navy helicopter arrived, speedboat aborted attack and moved towards mother vessel. Tanker sustained damages. No injuries to crew. Tanker continued passage.

06.09.2008: 0707 UTC: Posn: 12:57.8N - 047:01.6E, Gulf of Aden.

About six pirates armed with RPG in a white speedboat approached a LPG tanker underway. Alarm raised, foghorn sounded, crew mustered and chief officer directed fire hose towards the boat. The pirates signalled to reduce speed and pointed RPG at the chief officer, who dropped the fire hose and entered the accommodation. Master increased ship speed to maximum and took evasive manoeuvres by giving large helm orders. This resulted in the speedboat rolling heavily, causing four pirates to fall overboard. The speedboat recovered the pirates and resumed chasing the tanker again. Mayday broadcast made and SSAS activated. UKMTO Dubai and IMB Piracy Reporting Centre informed. The Centre immediately informed the coalition forces. The speedboat came close to the tanker, but later gave up the chase and met up with a pirate mother vessel that was a raft with an orange cover. A passing ship informed that coalition warships were proceeding for assistance and were calling the tanker on VHF.

05.09.2008: 0510 UTC: Posn: 12:57.5N - 047:04.0E, Gulf of Aden.

A general cargo ship underway, noticed a blue coloured tug suspected to be a pirate mother vessel, towing a small boat. The small boat suddenly proceeded at high speed and approached the ship. D/O raised alarm and crew mustered. Four pirates, armed with RPG and automatic weapons fired at the ship in an attempt to board. Master increased speed and took evasive manoeuvres. Crew activated fire hoses and threw hard objects to hit the pirates. Pirates kept on firing at the ship and at 0600 UTC the pirates gave up the attempt and fled.

03.09.2008: 0930 LT: Posn: 14:27N - 049:40E, Off Al Mukalla, Yemeni coast, Gulf of Aden.

12 pirates, armed with automatic guns and RPG in a small high-speed craft attacked, boarded and hijacked a ship along with her 25 crewmembers. They stole crew personal belongings and all cash onboard. Further details are awaited.

03.09.2008: 1450 UTC: Posn: 13:36.8N - 049:13.16E: Gulf of Aden.

Two small boats attempted to board a bulk carrier underway. Vessel increased speed and altered course to prevent boarding. The boats aborted attempt to board and moved away. A coalition warship arrived at location.

02.09.2008: 1853 UTC: Posn: 11:48.42N - 050:32.00E, Gulf of Aden.

A yacht enroute from Cocos (Keeling) islands to Aden, Yemen has been attacked and hijacked by pirates. Further details are awaited.

30.08.2008: 2300 LT: Posn: 06:48.6S – 039:32.3E, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Five robbers armed with knives boarded a container ship at berth. Two of the pirates tried to attack the duty AB on the forecastle, who informed the duty officer. Alarm raised and main engine started. Crew mustered. On hearing the ships whistle, the pirates released the duty AB and jumped overboard. No stores were stolen and no crew was injured. Port control was informed.

23.06.2008: off Somali coast, Somalia.

Pirates attacked and hijacked a yacht underway. They kidnapped its three crew members and held them on land for ransom. It is believed a ransom was paid for the safe release of the crew. All three crewmembers arrived safely in their respective countries. The yacht was believed to have been abandoned. A full report is awaited from the authorities.

I think we know this guy!

Find out more about being part of a convoy here on noonsite,

or contact Richard Donaldson-Alves, Net Controller. Maritime Mobile Net, SE Asia, 14,323Mhz @ 0025hrs.Zulu daily and WX @ 0055hrs.Zulu daily.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Smile

I think its about time the countries doing business in this area do something to protect thier interests. Weather it come from economic sanctions or with naval force, something needs to be done! If these guys are threatening LPG Tankers with RPG's, they are obviously organized and well financed. These type of people will just continue to grow in strength and brutality if left unchecked. Other crews will spawn from thier sucess and become even more daring and reckless. The possibility of smaller vessels being targeted will grow as well. Obviously it is advised to stay well away from these thugs but could this be a growing trend or does it seem to be the norm? Has anyone seen any action from foriegn governments? An American warship was sent down there at the begining of this summer I believe.

For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Admiral

Richard,

Do you have any insight other than what we see in the news??? Are things getting as bad as they seem to be?

I for one would really really like to go diving and sailing in the Red Sea...it is a major part of my planned route and not just a fast uphill race to the Med.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Admiral

Hello Ken,

Here is the latest comment from the new commander of the Coalition Forces - interesting that he also suggests that governments (the UN ?) provide new authority for mor definitive action to be take action against pirates and TERRORISTS.

DANISH COALITION COMMANDER

Richard
Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Admiral

I would have to agree with the Commander that more needs to be done ashore...but in the meantime things are getting completely out of control out in the Gulf.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Exclamation

It looks like help in the gulf may be on its way soon, just found this article in the "Wall Street Journal". Looks like the U.S., Britian, and France are getting ready to eliminate these Punks from the gulf. It's only a matter of time for these cowards now! I'm afraid the progress that can be made will depend alot on the cooperation of the local governments in getting these guys off the water for good. I'm confident though that the Superpowers presence alone will make an almost imediate turn for the better! We can only hope!

http://www.mima.gov.my/mima/htmls/mimarc/n...20of%20Aden.pdf
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Admiral

I believe that it is only because of the huge insurance costs that these governments are now "washing their spears". Nothing to do with the live os sailors or yachtsmen.

And will it help? Yes of course to a large degree but when, as happened today, terrorists attack the US Embassy in Sana'a then pirates can still roam in the area. I have on three occasons been a guest at that embassy and it is like a bunker. Not easy to take and yet they still try.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Exclamation

Yes, it is all about the money! It always is. These governments never really care about "common folk" like us unless they are trying to get elected. The attack on the U.S. Embassy is just another poke of the stick to the sleeping bear. Don't forget we here in the U.S. are coming up on the election of a new president this Nov. That new president will need to show his ability to control things like this abroad, he will need his own resume with national security experience and his own "war". What better way than to send the U.S. Military back to Somalia and pick up where we left off years ago. The more they bring attention to themselves, the more they will be in the news. The countries that do business in this area stand to loose allot more by doing nothing. Regardless of the reason, help is coming and I believe with a forgien military presence in the gulf, these attacks will drop considerably. If there are only a dozen "mother ships" causing all thes problems as the reports say, one American or British Battleship and a couple of F-15's will put and end to the problem in a couple of weeks. That's if these coalition ship commanders are allowed to to thier job without politics becoming too involved. Either way I can't wait till the videos start trickling in on the web of these guys getting what they deserve! Great entertainment in my mind...LOL

- RICHARD BODE
Old 09-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #9
Admiral

Unfortunately the mere presence of Coalition forces has done very little to deter the pirates - The US, Germans, Canadians and others have had warships etc. in the Gulf for nearly 4 years.

Only in June this year did the UN give partial permission to take certain types of action.

It was the French Military and their President who took definitive action which has made the present difference.

The area in which there is daily pirate activity covers tens of thousands of square nautical miles in which there there are tens of thousands of boats that resemble the small pirates attack boats - then we have some 20, 000 (55 every day) commercial vessels that transit the Gulf each year.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Unfortunately the mere presence of Coalition forces has done very little to deter the pirates - The US, Germans, Canadians and others have had warships etc. in the Gulf for nearly 4 years.

Only in June this year did the UN give partial permission to take certain types of action.

It was the French Military and their President who took definitive action which has made the present difference.

The area in which there is daily pirate activity covers tens of thousands of square nautical miles in which there there are tens of thousands of boats that resemble the small pirates attack boats - then we have some 20, 000 (55 every day) commercial vessels that transit the Gulf each year.
I understand the French government rescued the "French" hostages as it was thier own countrymen that were being held. I commend them for doing thier job! And very successful at that.

The US and the EU are just now sending warships over to the gulf for the "specific" mission to protect the waters and trade routes. Of course the coalition ships have been in and out of the gulf for more than 4 years however thier mission at that time was not specifically intended to stop piracy.

The recent articles I submitted state that the ships heading there are for the specific task of putting an end to the piracy attacks, this IS new and I believe a change will be coming none the less. These ships are built to hunt others and with predator drones and satelite technology they can monitor the locations and movements of thousands of targets realtime for months on end. Thousands of square miles is not as big as it used to be.

Regardless, I think the next year will be quite interesting in the gulf, its obvious something has got to change. Like I said the Political restrictions put on the comanders will be the determining factor in the success obtained in this effort. Without any restrictions, this would be a small problem for the coalition to take care of.

- RICHARD BODE
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #11
Admiral

Not just in and out, but BASED in Djibouti - their mission to provide security and protect vessels from pirate attacks.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
Lieutenant

[QUOTE=name='MMNETSEA' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:22 AM' post='25662']

Not just in and out, but BASED in Djibouti - their mission to provide security and protect vessels from pirate attacks.

[/qu

Found this article http://yachtpals.com/boating/piracy-yacht

It states-The 32-cabin three-masted vessel used for luxury cruises later anchored off Puntland, a breakaway northern region of Somalia, with a French navy ship in attendance, while negotiations with the pirates took place.

Asked whether France had paid a ransom to secure the release of the crew, Georgelin said no "public funds" were paid to the hostage-takers.

The release of the hostages resulted from a "negotiation between the ship owner and the pirates by radio" and "it's up to the ship owner to reveal if he so desires the nature of these negotiations," said Georgelin

Sounds like the owners of the boat did pay a ransom for the hostages, the French special forces then followed the pirates to land after they recieved the the ransom...Stupid pirates!

- RICHARD BODE
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
The US and the EU are just now sending warships over to the gulf for the "specific" mission to protect the waters and trade routes. Of course the coalition ships have been in and out of the gulf for more than 4 years however thier mission at that time was not specifically intended to stop piracy.
True, they have been on other missions and there is a legal complication. On the High Sea, as indicated in the extract from The Law of the Sea Convention (UNCLOS), every state (read warship, coast guard ship etc.) has the right to seize pirate vessels

Article105

Seizure of a pirate ship or aircraft

On the high seas, or in any other place outside the jurisdiction of any State, every State may seize a pirate ship or aircraft, or a ship or aircraft taken by piracy and under the control of pirates, and arrest the persons and seize the property on board.

But, as can be seen from the above, this only grants such authority on the HIGJH SEAS. What then does this term mean? Well, UNCLOS defines the high seas in Chapter Seven.

Article86

Application of the provisions of this Part (i.e. the High Seas)

The provisions of this Part apply to all parts of the sea that are not included in the exclusive economic zone, in the territorial sea or in the internal waters of a State, or in the archipelagic waters of an archipelagic State.

In other words, as the acts of piracy have all taken place within the territorial waters or Exclusive Economic Zone of a coastal state then the general authority to seize pirate vessels does not legally apply. To do this lefgally requires a mandate from the UN opr the coastal state. In theory, a pirate, if attacked by a coallition warship anywhere but on the high seas or within the waters of a coastal state having concented to such action or subject to a special UN mandate could bring legal action against the state (warship) apprehending him.

Bizzare insn't it? Whoever maintains that common sense will prevail seriously underestimates the lawmakers' ability to screw things up!

France probably acted wrongly in legal terms in freeing the hostages. Of course, my opinion is that they did exactly the right thing.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
True, they have been on other missions and there is a legal complication. On the High Sea, as indicated in the extract from The Law of the Sea Convention (UNCLOS), every state (read warship, coast guard ship etc.) has the right to seize pirate vessels
Thanks for the info, that explains allot to me as to why the piracy problem still exists. If the UN is involved or needs to be, these pirates, (at least most of them) will probably never be brought to justice no matter how many warships appear in the gulf of aden. As far as I'm concerned, the UN is absolutely worthless and as corrupt as any multinational beurocracy could be. They seem to love being involved in everyones business and creating "resolutions" without the scrupels to enforce the laws/ resolutions that they create. If the UN is in charge of the warships operations in the gulf, I don't think any significant changes will occur.

As far as the possible ransom being paid for the French (and Ukrainian) hostages is concerned. I would never pay a criminal one red cent for the return of any hostages! Yes, even if it was my MOTHER! She would agree 100% with my decision too. Some things ARE worse than dying. That's my opinion...

Now the fact that the French were able to follow these terrorist pirates and capture them (some of them), after the ransom had been paid, is questionable. If they recovered the ransom during the arrests, then I would say "Congradulations". Some would say that the fact that nobody was killed and some of the pirates were captured is proof of accomplishment, especially the French government and the familys of the hostages, that's an "Emotional" opinion. Howerver it will not Deter the pirates at all. If they feel they can get paid, these criminal activities will persist.

Anyone who pays a ransom to these thugs is just prolonging the problem and encouraging others to do the same which creates an even bigger problem...More Pirates! Take away the money (ransom) and the pirates will probably leave on thier own. The United States has a policy that we "Do NOT negotiate with terrorists" and I agree 100% with this policy as it is the best deterent.

Its unfortunate that the people who have the ability to put a stop to this Piracy have thier hands tied through politics once again, thanks to the UN. WORTHLESS!

I'm just curious if anyone knows of any Americans being taken hostage? If not, I wonder why? No money can be had from one whom does NOT negotiate? Period.

Please don't take my coments personally, I am a Red Blooded American man and I am in no way proud of everything my country does in this messed up world of ours, however, living by the rules of "An Eye for an Eye," makes complete sense to me. No negotiations will ever stop the problem. I'm afraid once again the only answer is through missiles, bullets and blood. A policy the UN is afraid to follow.....

- RICHARD BODE
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Admiral

Hmmm...the Gulf of Aden then seems to present a very unique situation as there isn't really any "Open Sea" ...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Smile

While the payment for the hostages were taking place, sounds like another ships crew became the new replacements! Looks as though Hong Kong is waiting for "negotiations to begin" according to this article I just read. Looks like another hefty paycheck for the criminals in Aden! Maybe they'll catch them too though.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Heavily armed pirates have seized a Hong Kong chemical tanker with 22 crewmen in the Gulf of Aden off Somalia.

A Marine Department spokesman said the MT Stolt Valor was 185 kilometers from the coast of Somalia when it was hijacked.

The 25,000-tonne tanker is owned by Ocean Transit Carrier and manned by a crew of 18 Indians, two Filipinos, one Bangladeshi and one Russian. They were reported to be unhurt.

There were no Hong Kong residents on board. A spokesman for the owner and management company, Fleet Management, said the safety of the crew was of paramount concern. Negotiations, however, had yet to begin, he said yesterday

- RICHARD BODE