Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Hi

We purchased NWS 3 years ago. She was in a slightly delapidated state The previous owner had her for about 10 years and as far as I am aware didnt use her much. He kept her and lived aboard in London for a few years not moving the fenders consequently the paint was worn on one side . He then transferred her to Ramsgate and lived on her for another few years with the fenders on the opposite side consequently the paint was damaged on both sides the deck was unloved, rigging was tatty etc etc. but the price was right

Previous to that she has cruised extensively by her first and second owners We have all the charts of her voyages which include the east coast of USA, Carribean, Azores, western Med round the Uk and parts of Germany and Denmark.

This must have taken place in the early 70's as every noon site is recorded on the Atlantic crossing. Before the days of GPS

It would be nice to have had the log books as well but just looking at the charts is enough to keep you romantising of what is must have been like in those days without the help and contacts we have today.

Her original name was Gay Gannet lV.That was changed in 1971 to Mornish and then to Norwestsailer in 1981 (Im quite pleased they changed it cant imagine being called Gay Gannet on this forum)

We have done quite a bit of work on her and she is slowly coming along.

The first year was spent trying to make things work.

The second year we had new sails so we tried to sail her, and new cockpit floor and locker lids

The third year we had the Osmosis sorted and respray along with new engine and prop

The fourth year we will be tiidying up down below

The fifth year I dont know either sailing off somewhere or starting over again

I havent any photos of what she was like when we first purchased her but you should get some idea

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2586.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	175

Thanks for looking

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
m_DSCF0577.JPG   m_Norwestsailer.JPG  

Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The name change in 1971 is quite the social comment. In the 60's, 'gay' still meant happy and carefree and society regarded overt homosexuality with abhorrence. How things have changed!

Nice vessel.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Admiral

Your boat project sounds abit like NAUSIKAA. She too had "fender damage" when I bought her. I am going through the same process as you in restoring her to better than original condition. I symphathise with you whilst congratulating you too. Sympathise because I know just how much all this work costs. Congratulate because I know just how satisfying it is to conclude each little step along the way with the knowledge that it is a job well done.

As far as the Gay" issue is concerned, I am a great believer in live and let live. People can folow their own paths as long as they don't distub me and I, in my turn, try not to disturb others; but the hijacking of the word "gay" annoys me. Gay was a lovely word with its own special meaning. It was more than happy, lively or merry. It described someone abounding in social pleasures or, in the case of colours, indicated bright or showy. Now it really has but one meaning and contrary to many language changes this can only be regarded as the loss of a good word.

In my old age and in the traditional use of the word, I would not mind being described as gay as in licentious; dissipated; wanton: e.g. "The commander is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies." That is nought but wishful thinking of course.

The R.N., prior to the change in the meaning of gay, had a number of MTB:s with the name prefix Gay:

HMS Gay Archer (P1041) - Launched August 20th 1952

HMS Gay Bombardier (P1042) - Launched August 20th 1952

HMS Gay Bowman (P1043) - Launched December 19th 1952

HMS Gay Bruiser (P1044) - Launched December 19th 1952

HMS Gay Carabineer (P1045) - Launched January 22nd 1953

HMS Gay Cavalier (P1046)- Launched January 23rd 1953

HMS Gay Centurion (P1047) - Launched September 3rd 1952

HMS Gay Charger (P1048) - Launched January 12th 1953

HMS Gay Charioteer (P1049) - Launched June 12th 1953, commissioned 1954

HMS Gay Dragoon (P1050) - Launched January 28th 1953

HMS Gay Fencer (P1051) - Launched February 18th 1953

HMS Gay Forester (P1052) - Launched March 23rd 1954

Fortunately for their crews, I believe all had been withdrawn from service before 1970 so no embarrassment factor for there. No HMS Gay Gannet though!

I am pleased your vessels name was changed.

Welcome to the club and best of luck with your boat and the projects

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Hi Stephen

Many thanks for your kind words

I think Norwestsailer is a far better name to have

I dont know of any other boat with this name

Has anybody heard of it before.

We had a lot of question about the name and everybody spells it with a OR instead or ER

We checked up on this and Sailor is a person

Whist Sailer is a boat

So whoever thought of the name got that right.

Its a good job the dodgers are long because it fits a treat anything shorter wouldnt look right

any paperwork and to ouselves shes NWS

Gotta go

speak to you soon

Steve
Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
Ensign

Dad had a Robert Clark designed sloop which Mum and the children named for him - Gay Grenadier - well he was Grenadier all right but certainly not gay in today's sense. Last seen taking off to Scandinavia with new owner - I wonder what she is called today?