Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Packing and "dreaming"

Even though we're not moving 'til Thursday (still don't have that toilet yet!) I'm finishing up the packing out of the studio today so we can focus on the boat the rest of the week. We're leaving the computers and a travel bag here until then. I wonder what the landlord is going to say when we get out the sawszall recip saw and cut up our old box springs in the parking lot so it will fit in the dumpster? Can't think of what else to do with it. The mattress can be forced to fit into our double berth on the boat--though we'll be throwing it out before launch and putting a latex foam one in the berth.

One thing about this apartment--Gee wiz there's lots of dust! This has been the dusty/dirtiest place we've ever lived. Black dust on the window blinds and window sills gets just everywhere. But, after this week, that's behind us and we'll be living aboard while finishing up the work to be done before launch.

Right now, while I'm packing, David's over at the boatyard piecing together the old sole and installing all the stringers (leveling bits of wood that go on top the floors for the sole to sit on). The new mast steps are a bit wider/longer than the old ones so he's doing some creative work to re-use the sole.

I just took down my glass wind chimes that I kept on the medicine cabinet door. They have a wonderful quote written on the top which I've look at each morning while brushing my teeth (since 2002 when I got the chimes):

Dare to Dream

Choose a wish,

find a dream,

pick a wishing star:

Let your hopes and spirits soar

high and free and far.

Believe in the impossible,

then work and try to do--

For only those who dare to dream

can make a dream

come true.

In just a little while, we'll be living aboard! And in just a little bit later we'll be voyaging! I'm glad this has been one of our dreams and that its coming true!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Good luck with the final packing and great move towards your commitment to a voyaging life.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #17

Exclamation

We finished the move yesterday! We sat in the cockpit with a cold drink watching the sunset reflect off the water *

* Disclaimer--

sitting on dry land in the boatyard, the sun setting to the wast (which we have no view of since we have a tarp tenting the boat...and the "water" being a little pond just to the east of the boatyard that we can see through an opening in the tarp...but still, all the elements were there...

The cat is now hanging out in the forecastle watching David do interior work (the bed!) in the stateroom just aft. We spent the night last night on our old double mattress which just barely fits on the sole in the galley and dining saloon area (because the cabinetry that goes there is still un-installed). We had a clear view of the cockpit and helm since we still don't have a companionway door...

Lots of work to do!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
Retired Mod

Wonderful! Now you'll really get a lot of work done.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #19

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Wonderful! Now you'll really get a lot of work done.
lets see...update for today...

last night, the cat almost ended up permanently "under" the sole as he slipped down into the bilge while exploring an area where there's an access panel out and he couldn't hardly manage to scramble his way back up to jump onto the sole. Rather funny.

Today was really "find everything" day as we organized the boatshed to hold the additional "stuff" that we don't want in the boat while working on the boat.

This morning, I did the "test" strip of paint in a small area just above the waterline on the port side. Good color, not quite enough prep-work on the primer--need to sand it a bit more before doing the topcoat of paint.

Hubby's still making sawdust in the boat. I think that will be going on for a while--I've "bagged" the mattress and bedding in plastic when we get up in the morning. Then, vacuum and use compressed air to clean the area before sleeping (that's going to get old fast).

The little "boat" washer/dryer is set up next to the boat, the composting head inside, and the solar shower out back. Interesting life these days.

Tomorrow and Monday we help friends deliver a boat down on Baja--so no projects for a couple days--fun sailing instead.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #20

Exclamation

Enjoyed a great 36 hour sail to Ensenada--a trip that should have taken about 10-12 hours No wind though. Such is the life of sailing and not using the motor!

We had lovely dolphin, whale, and porpoise sightings. Lots of fish too.

Back at the boatyard, we are now back in full swing on things. Plumbing and more plumbing for hubby. Hull painting and sanding for me. I can "roll and tip" by myself but it sure is faster with a helper. No helper though I go back and forth between the hull painting and finishing out the cockpit sole and seating.

We don't have screens in the portholes and hatches yet. Hummm... come to think of it, the newly varnished teak hatches are still sitting below the boat waiting to be installed... well, anyway, we've just "invested" in a mosquito net for over the bed. Ahhhh. Now I can sleep all night w/o getting welts all over my arms and legs from the little flying west-Nile-virus-carrying critters.

Still sleeping on the floor of the galley on our old double mattress though the bed is framed in the stateroom. The new (latex foam) mattress should be here at the end of the week. The fellow doing the custom mattress did measurements earlier in week.

This morning, it was humid and overcast so I spent a few hours vacuuming and cleaning out the boat shed. Its amazing, but even with the huge piles of stuff still needing installation, there's a lot LESS stuff in here! We're making progress. Well, either that or we're just running out of stuff--I prefer to think its progress

More later, back to my cockpit sole.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #21
Lieutenant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Enjoyed a great 36 hour sail to Ensenada--a trip that should have taken about 10-12 hours No wind though. Such is the life of sailing and not using the motor!
What boatyard are you guys at? I'm planning on hauling at Driscolls/ Mission Bay this winter. I have talked to several people who were very unhappy with the local yards work and billing practices. Maybe you'd recomend a different place? Most places won't even touch a wooden boat anymore.

Sounds like your about a year ahead of me in progress. What a job huh? The end result is soo worth it though! Just to let you know, I also have a crane/ barge in Americas Cup Harbor if you need any crane work done, just let me know...ie- engine/gennie r/r. I help allott of the fisherman around here at virtually 0 cost...Don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck with the project, Steve
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #22

Islandseeker,

Thanks for the crane work offer/info. The only crane work we have left to do (hopefully!) is setting the masts after we're in the water. That takes a pretty big crane--we'll end up getting bids from the local yards for the crane work as we do the rigging. We set the engine and genset a couple months ago with a crane here in the yard.

Here's a pic of the sticks being removed (and yes, that's a person up there next to the foremast):

Hauling out in San Diego is unjustifiably price-y IMHO. Then, the lay days will kill you. The only place that I know of that is sorta affordable and will allow you to do your own work would be Driscolls Mission Bay--which is probably what you've found. If you're properly insured and your wooden boat appears to be in good shape structurally (get an in the water survey!) almost all the San Diego yards are willing to do your haul out and bottom work, btw. The only one I know of that has a big "no!" on wooden boats is Shelter Island Boatyard--and even there I know of people who have badgered the yard into hauling out their (good shape, insured) boat. If your boat is in bad shape, you will have a hard time finding a haul-out location. Our uninsured boat (in terrible shape) was hauled out at Driscoll on Shelter Island in August 2006 when we started this project. Chuck Driscoll was great to us--we promised we'd pick up the pieces if it fell apart in the slings (literally) and he did a great job to make sure everything went smoothly.

Haulout Aug 06:

We initially went to a boatyard (inland) where we did work and the yard provided some labor between the fall of 2006 and spring of 2007. The yard was really too small for a big boat project and we had work schedule and other issues and decided to move in June 2007 to San Diego Boat Movers yard. We're at an inland location near the intersection of I15 and I8 (near Qualcomm Stadium and overlooking Admiral Baker golf course on Murphy Canyon).

June 07 moving into our current yard:

Regarding long-term work like we're doing: Because of the length of time we'd be out, it was worth the boat mover (overland) cost rather than pay San Diego waterfront lay day expense (for us lay days would have been $4000 or more per month). Because of the increased productivity and reduced yard rent, it was worth it for us to move a second time (overland) to this location a year ago. For small/medium projects, there are yards up in Orange county and down on Baja that would likely be a better deal for you. Depending on what work you'll be doing, for example, you can have Baja Naval haul you out and do the work (say bottom painting) for less money than just the haul out cost at a San Diego yard. When we do our first haul out (6 months to 1 year after we launch) to deal with seams, etc, we'll likely go there. We'll likely do the work ourselves and just pay them lay days (because we're control freaks)...

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress as you go along.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #23

Another week of boatyard living. Another week of painting and fixing going on. Another week of one burner cooking on a hotplate in the boatshed. Can't wait to get some semblance of a galley going on the boat! The only thing that has been surprisingly NOT a big deal is continuing to use the solar shower each day--works great.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #24

OK, time flies while we're working so hard. High points--the combings for the 3 large deck hatches and forward scuttle are firmly installed and properly sealed and we finally got up the nerve to cut the fairing block for the Interphase FLS transducers and "test fit" the transducer blocks--they're level and true so we can install them properly after the bottom paint is done . Low points--it sure takes a lot longer to do everything than we want it to

Today I'm painting and varnishing more and David is zip-tying all the various hoses, vents, etc...that is, after we've finished enjoying the morning off listening to National Public Radio's Click and Clack, the Prairie Home Companion, and Wait-Wait Don't Tell Me... while websurfing...ah, relaxation.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
OK, time flies while we're working so hard. High points--the combings for the 3 large deck hatches and forward scuttle are firmly installed and properly sealed and we finally got up the nerve to cut the fairing block for the Interphase FLS transducers and "test fit" the transducer blocks--they're level and true so we can install them properly after the bottom paint is done . Low points--it sure takes a lot longer to do everything than we want it to

Today I'm painting and varnishing more and David is zip-tying all the various hoses, vents, etc...that is, after we've finished enjoying the morning off listening to National Public Radio's Click and Clack, the Prairie Home Companion, and Wait-Wait Don't Tell Me... while websurfing...ah, relaxation.
Wow! I just took a look at the pics you posted of your beautiful boat....So much character! I can see why you decided to go inland. You've done some pretty extensive work to get her ready.Congradulations, you're on the downwind slide. I will come by in the dinghy when you get her in the water to take a look if you don't mind.

My boat is in pretty decent shape (1973). I plan on a 2-3 week haulout at Driscolls Mission Bay. Frame repairs and replacement of the fwd rudder are the main concern. I plan on having the laminated sister frames made before I haul this fall/winter.

Keep up the good spirits and hard work just a bit longer. You're almost there! I'm a little jealous...LOL

Steve
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
Keep up the good spirits and hard work just a bit longer. You're almost there!
So close....but yet so far...

Tied up in so many details of getting everything done. And, every single day someone asking "when are you going to launch" has me about ready to snap their heads off. We've taken to saying "don't know, don't care, this is part of our voyaging life, too"

We'll be launching "soon" but that may be within 3 weeks or 3 months...we're enjoying the projects and the boat but...

So many "land" people are very "supportive" but everyone still seems to have THEIR idea of what we're doing and when, how, etc it all should/will go. They're either dreaming about us abandoning our livelyhood and taking off for French Polynesia (which we have NO intentions of visiting in the next many, many, years while we have pets onboard ) or they're asking us when we're going to get back to "real" life. What isn't "real" about our life??? I spend a good part of every day right now with income-producing activities and the rest on fixing up the boat.

Just the other day, after stating that we'd be in the water soon, I had an east coast friend say how excited they would be when we joined them in August 2009 (with boat) up in Maine during their week-long vacation. Duh....we're in San Diego...we have no plans of getting to Maine for...hum...a decade? And, seriously, they thought we'd just be running here-and-there at the speed of a jet airplane or ocean liner. Unbelievable. We suggested that they keep in touch with us and arrange a visit to a bed and breakfast nearby where ever we are next August--and that would most likely be the west coast of Canada, Mexico, or the US.

OK, so interacting with the "land" people are the "down side" but the boat (and other "boat people"!) are the "up side". We just enjoyed having "house guests" (yes, we're still living in the boat yard...) this weekend. Its feeling like "home"

The propeller shaft and custom prop finally showed up a week ago (ordered for June delivery!); the varnish work is looking peachy; the masts and spars are in the middle of their refinishing; the new chart house seating is installed (I can make cushions after launch); the boat is really beginning to look quite lovely.

More on the saga...later.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
Retired Mod

Sounds great!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #28

It amazes me sometimes how really, really bad Americans are at geography. One January we told some acquaintances who had sailed with us in St. Martin that we were leaving the island in May of that year to head through the Panama Canal and into the South Pacific. They asked where we were headed, and I said that possibly we would circumnavigate, but we weren't thinking past reaching Australia. When they asked how fast our boat traveled, we said about 6 or 7 miles per hour. Oh, how interesting, they said.

In July we received a letter from them asking how we had enjoyed our circumnavigation (!).

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote