Originally Posted by JeanneP
All that hard work sure paid off! Beautiful.
(green with envy)
Oh, man, limp, limp, limp....the hard work continues....I can hardly walk. We've carried all kinds of things all over the boatyard making space for continuing our spar work and making space for another 65' boat that is supposed to arrive in "our spot" any day now.
We were so lucky that for the last couple days, our friend Chris (Cruiser Log member Dobrodaddy) visited and helped David with some of the last minute heavy stuff!
We had a few little glitches that were interesting--since Kobelt hasn't sent back out throttle control head yet, we were actually stuck using the bare push-pull cables to shift into and out of gear as well as to control the throttle.
link to larger pic of the bare control cables
As we left the launch dock for a nearby workdock slip, hubby David was steering AND running the two control cables himself. I was onboard as well as friends John and Chris; John's wife, Pam, was walking the dock and would be waiting to catch a line. With a hefty side wind and tight quarters pushing us about, and the full keel behaving as full keels do... it was amazing that we didn't squash any of the nearby boats or a pier as we got out of the tight quarters. We were very thankful that the 10 ft bowsprit was NOT yet installed on the 54' boat.
Click on link for larger image
of the bowsprit (in the boatyard on the boat)
The only "oops" was when David thought he was putting the boat in reverse and applying throttle to stop us and use the prop walk to spin us more parallel to the work dock...instead he put us in forward and...rammed the work dock. Lucky us, as John pointed out, our hugely thick bobstay iron is much, much stronger than the dock. A few splinters in the dock but the boat wasn't scratched
The bobstay iron in this pic--click on link for larger image
Unusual for San Diego in that it was quite windy. The winds were up enough that we just spent the night at the work dock and moved the boat to the assigned slip at daybreak. The winds had died down about 1 am but we don't yet have the rig up--with the associated navigation lights--and David wouldn't move the boat after dark without the required nav lights. With no wind, it was a simple task to get her into the slip. Though, we must admit it is a bit unnerving to be putting your boat into a slip that is only two feet wider than your beam and when you can't see the finger piers on each side you just have to trust that the extra foot on each side is really there
As a wood boat, we have to wait to see how she "takes up" water. She's weeping at the seams and the oak keel and the primary bilge pump (a Rule 3700) is kicking in every few minutes to spit out some water. We're thinking she's taking on about 20 gallons/hr. All of it through tiny weeps all over the place that should seal up nicely as her planking swells and the oak keel does as well.
Yesterday, I lugged as many tools and heavy things as I could to the very front of the boat as she's sitting bow high by about 4 or 5 inches. The stern is about 1" lower in the water than it should be--which means that some of the topside paint on the overhanging countertimber is in the water. We'll bring some of her lead ballast onboard over the weekend and put a few hundred pounds of it on deck right at the stem and that should level her enought to get all the topsides out of the water. Once the masts are stepped, she should sit very level as the foremast is about halfway between the center of mass (at the main mast) and the stem.
I'm uploading more pics to Flickr right now...I'll post a link when they're there. Now I'm off to pick up the cat at the vet's where he's been boarded for two days. He'll be glad to be back on the boat, I'm sure.
A few pics below with links to larger images--