Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #61

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The last thing to do before we get to really sail is step the masts. So, here's an update on the mast-stepping project:

After stripping paint off things and then repainting them (after we'd assured ourselves that things were in good condition) or re-making them (some wood bolsters were cracked and some bronze worn or corroded)....Most all the "stuff" is now residing on the masts (mast rings, top fittings, wires run, tangs for shrouds, thumb bolsters and associated blocking, etc) and I'm almost through leathering the 17 hoops that are needed for the foremast. Seems to take me about 3 to 4 hours to do leather one of those suckers. Nice sit-in-front-of-the-tv work, except I don't seem to have time to sit in front of the tv and do leatherwork...

Almost done with the standing rigging splices that can be done off the boat--one more soft eye for the staysail stay. This boat has a weird combo of soft eyes and tangs. I guess that's what you get when something has been re-rigged so many times over the years. We put the lovely bronze mast track back on the mainmast today and noticed the cut-outs in the blocking under the track which were put there for soft eyes that were at some time later replaced by tangs for shrouds. Feels like we're putting little bits of her history back into the boat

Tomorrow the masts get moved from our inland location to the waterfront yard and they'll be stepped on Monday or Tuesday. We'll be doing touch-up paint over the weekend and cutting the remaining standing rigging to length, installing our new Hi-Mod fittings on tops of everything attached to a tang...and...then, after the masts are stepped, there is a bit more work for me to do the in-place splices on the lower ends of the shrouds and the associated leather work. David has "other" stuff to do like hooking up all the wires we ran for spreader lights, masthead light, steaming light, etc, etc, etc.

More later on our project. Back to another mast hoop

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #62
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Every bit counts. Well done!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #63
Admiral

Hi Brenda,

The masts all in place ? Fully dressed ? Bunting and all ?

photos?

Richard
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #64

Hey guys,

I haven't had time to update pics or anything. Here are a couple shots taken during the mast-stepping (May 22, 2009).

David wiring the main mast tri-color light (OGM LED) and Airmar weather station.

Yet another of my splices...this one 7x19 for the gaff throat halyard block...

The foremast with all those leathered mast hoops! ready to be stepped with the crane.

The foremast being stepped...friend John and a boatyard worker guiding in as David and Chris are below deck to make sure it fits the mast step.

David and a truckers' knot to tighten up the halyard used for temporary forward staying of the main mast

David and Chris (aka CL member Dobrodaddy) installing a stay (note a chain instead of the turnbuckle and a temporary cable clip as the stay will be spliced in place after mast stepping)

David using his legs to push the base of the main mast forward so the tenon can align with the notch in the mast step. Chris/Dobrodaddy pulling the mast forward.

She's now stayed "enough" with halyards and a few shrouds for us to get her back to the slip and to start in on the splicing of the lower ends of the shrouds and the "real" staying

That's all for now, as I've not downloaded pics from my camera since then...more later...

Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #65
Admiral

Hi Guys,

What a great job !!!! And she doesn't half look GOOD !

Tell me is that the boom gallows right aft ?

Name:   mahdee_gallows.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  4.6 KB

Richard
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Tell me is that the boom gallows right aft ?

Richard
Yes, they're not the original gallows, these are from sometime after a "mishap" with the boom which appears to have taken out the boom, the wheel, and the old boom gallows. Sometime after everything that HAS to be done is done, we'll be modifying this boom gallows to be more like the original. This has that straight bar of wood on the top where as the original had a lovely curve that matched the curve of the chart house.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #67

New Years Eve Sailing Pictures!

It was a pretty day and I did snap a few pictures while we were out sailing in the Pacific.

Pic of David's sister looking out at the birds and dolphins. The schooner America and another boat are in the distance.

The winter sunshine is beautiful.

Staysail and mainsail.

Sailing back under staysail alone, David is in his favorite pose--standing on the helms seat, leaning against the boom, and steering by foot. I'm taking the picture from the open companionway door.