Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanor View Post
... if I was wrong......I have to pay it! I was looking to your pictures and I found nothing wrong with the situation in my boat.

... Please, from the pictures, ( not very good taken) ,can you tell me how bad it is?

And the site www.nausikaa.org.uk still exist? Was impossible for me to found it. Thanks a lot!
Hi nicanor,
let me give some answers to your above points.

... well, I suppose, your Storfidra is also a boat of about 40 years of age.
Signs of use and stress are normal. So, it is quite normal that there has to be done some work on a boat to bring it back to its initial strength. SO, don't see it the way that you 'have to pay' for something decided wrong - it is more the way to invest some more money to bring her back to old strength.

... I am not a boat builder nor have I any qualities to survey or judge the quality or functionness of a boat. And any evaluation has to be done one scene and cannot be done by pictures.

What would I do:
First: remove the wood from the beam and again take a look at the beam. Any dents, deformations or cracks?

Second: Your pics show that the inside as been painted white - so you don't se the original gelcoat. Check, if there has been done some plastering work on the beam or vincinity of it - a screwdriver helps.

If eihter one or both things are positive it really is better to ask a professional to take a closer look at the mast support system. Maybe he can then bring along a moisture meter to detect any moisture in the construction.

Third: stepping the mast and tighting the rigging also helps to evaluate the situation: then ask someone standing on deck to pull both main stays inward as you check below if you hear anything squeeking or cracking. This should not happen as actually the mast support system is constructed very solid!

So, if everything looks fine, nothing shows symptoms of stress and even under changing mast pressure everything looks and sounds solid, there should be nothing to worry about.

Taking again a closer look at the pics showing the mast step I noticed that some plastering work has been done around it.
What you should do in any case is:
- remove the aluminum mast step from the deck and sand down the whole gelcoat. That gives you a perfect view on how far any moisture intruded the GRP-layers.
- remove any other layers if necessary, if they have delaminated because of water and or frost.
- laminate new layers of glass mats to build up the original strength, using for example the WEST-Epoxy system. It is quite easy to use and brings good results when following the manual. If you are not familiar working with Epoxy and glass mats, it is easy to learn. But don't start you first trials on your mast support....
- finish everything up with a paint coat system - there are different marine paint companies on the market.
-finally you can bolt the mast step back in place using a good amount of marine sealant (NOT the cheap stuff you use for the bathroom at home!) around the bolts to get everything water tight. Here it is also crucial to follow the rules: put the sealant on, put the mast step and bolts in place, but not yet tighten the bolts completely and squeeze out all the sealant. Tighten the bolts a day later.
... oh, please excuse if I am getting too much into details... it's just so much fun and rewarding to do this kind of work and end up with a wonderful, well restored own boat!

... you are right, Nausikaa, who started out to build up a nice site on the Storfidra, is no longer on the net. Too bad. So, actually there is no Storfidra forum I know of, the only site, that takes a little care of the Storfidra is 26' Storfidra. It is in dutch language and rather taked care for the Midget-community.

Take care
Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Lieutenant

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
Lieutenant

Hello! I am back again , with on more question , if you kind. I planned to bring the boat home end of july beginning of august. But , the truck driver ask me one question that I could not find an answer. What is the height between the bottom of the keel and the deck top? I now the length , beam , draft , weight , but I am not sure about the height. He told me that must be maximum 3 meters , because of the bridges we have to drive along Europe. Can you help me again Aquaria? Thank you very much indeed ! Florin.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
Rear Admiral

We measured 2.80 from Keel to the top but for overland transportation we always told that the over all heighth is 3 meters, to be on the safe side.

So, the Storfidra is indeed too high to put on a regular truck but it is no problem at all if the transport is done with a special trailer designed for boat transports - then she does not reach the hights of 4 meters as the magical heighth limit here in Europe (and not even the over all beam of 2,40 is a problem for land transport).

If you choose a professional yacht transport they will know how high the whole thingh will be.
If the transport is not done by a professional yacht transport business, make sure that the driver himself finds out if boat and trailer are below 4 meters as everything above 4 meters needs (expensive) special permits in almost all European countries and just can use special routes (which could mean alot of detours).

Take care

Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Lieutenant

Thanks again Uwe! It will be a regular truck , but are you sure about 4 meters in Europe? Because I found different dimensions in EU regulations ?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Rear Admiral

You are right, the European Nations have diffenent maximum heights for their national traffics. Mostly it is 4 meters and for example Sweden does not define a maximum height, others give more for container transports, etc.

But for the traffic between european countries the directive 96/53/EG puts a limit to 4 meters of maximum heights.

To be on the save side, stick to the 4 meters. Exceeding the heights without proper permission can result in quite expensive fines- at leat here in Germany.

Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
Lieutenant

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Bravo! Uwe re your posts to Nicanor that I find most impressive indeed. Ever since my first sailing experience (on a havsfidra) I have been enthralled by the storfidra. Thus my great joy and interest in reading your knowledgeable sound advice that's very much appreciated //Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #29
Lieutenant

Nicanor, one consoling positive aspect I find upon seeing your pics is that it appears to me you have bought a storfidra that still has ( for the most part at least ) the original practical interior furnishing first done by the builders yard in Fisksätra, Sweden ...

e.g. being able to use the top bunk as a navigation table, the easily gripped large handrail above the windows, the door to your wc appears much wider than ours and I believe you've a cover over the motor, etc. I really look forward to seeing your boat soonest// Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #30
Lieutenant

Uwe, do you know how one may contact Nausikaa? I want to find out if he still owns a storfidra and if so where she is berthed and the possiblility of getting a look see at her //Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #31
Ensign

Home Port: canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
Hi nicanor,
let me give some answers to your above points.

... well, I suppose, your Storfidra is also a boat of about 40 years of age.
Signs of use and stress are normal. So, it is quite normal that there has to be done some work on a boat to bring it back to its initial strength. SO, don't see it the way that you 'have to pay' for something decided wrong - it is more the way to invest some more money to bring her back to old strength.

... I am not a boat builder nor have I any qualities to survey or judge the quality or functionness of a boat. And any evaluation has to be done one scene and cannot be done by pictures.

What would I do:
First: remove the wood from the beam and again take a look at the beam. Any dents, deformations or cracks?

Second: Your pics show that the inside as been painted white - so you don't se the original gelcoat. Check, if there has been done some plastering work on the beam or vincinity of it - a screwdriver helps.

If eihter one or both things are positive it really is better to ask a professional to take a closer look at the mast support system. Maybe he can then bring along a moisture meter to detect any moisture in the construction.

Third: stepping the mast and tighting the rigging also helps to evaluate the situation: then ask someone standing on deck to pull both main stays inward as you check below if you hear anything squeeking or cracking. This should not happen as actually the mast support system is constructed very solid!

So, if everything looks fine, nothing shows symptoms of stress and even under changing mast pressure everything looks and sounds solid, there should be nothing to worry about.

Taking again a closer look at the pics showing the mast step I noticed that some plastering work has been done around it.
What you should do in any case is:
- remove the aluminum mast step from the deck and sand down the whole gelcoat. That gives you a perfect view on how far any moisture intruded the GRP-layers.
- remove any other layers if necessary, if they have delaminated because of water and or frost.
- laminate new layers of glass mats to build up the original strength, using for example the WEST-Epoxy system. It is quite easy to use and brings good results when following the manual. If you are not familiar working with Epoxy and glass mats, it is easy to learn. But don't start you first trials on your mast support....
- finish everything up with a paint coat system - there are different marine paint companies on the market.
-finally you can bolt the mast step back in place using a good amount of marine sealant (NOT the cheap stuff you use for the bathroom at home!) around the bolts to get everything water tight. Here it is also crucial to follow the rules: put the sealant on, put the mast step and bolts in place, but not yet tighten the bolts completely and squeeze out all the sealant. Tighten the bolts a day later.
... oh, please excuse if I am getting too much into details... it's just so much fun and rewarding to do this kind of work and end up with a wonderful, well restored own boat!

... you are right, Nausikaa, who started out to build up a nice site on the Storfidra, is no longer on the net. Too bad. So, actually there is no Storfidra forum I know of, the only site, that takes a little care of the Storfidra is 26' Storfidra. It is in dutch language and rather taked care for the Midget-community.

Take care
Uwe
SY Aquaria
For the 'Storfida site you list

Hi here is the link for the site in English
Welcome

and German
Wilkommen

and in Danish

Velkommen
Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Lieutenant

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
Lieutenant

Hello Uwe, please inform more about the Storfidra " Nausikaa " as I would like to very much to see and learn more of her... wonder where she is berthed now and who owns her? Also, I believe you posted earlier to Clay that you have an electric motor driven boat too, or? //Joe
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hill IV View Post
Hello Uwe, please inform more about the Storfidra " Nausikaa " as I would like to very much to see and learn more of her... wonder where she is berthed now and who owns her? Also, I believe you posted earlier to Clay that you have an electric motor driven boat too, or? //Joe
Hej Joe,
please apoligize my late answer - I have been sailing the last two and a half months and as the days get shorter and as I finally found a marina with a really good wifi-net here in Brittany/France I take the time to answer to your post.

Unfortunately, I have not heard from Stephen, who bought my Storfidra in 2005 for over 2 years. Back then, he was sailing NAUSIKAA in the waters of southern Denmark and I don't know about her whereabouts since then.

And you are right, I have built in an electric motor in my boat, a Centurion 32. My motor is from OZ-Marine, a swedish company which you find today under Green Star Marine GreenStar Marine | Framtidens elmotorsystem.
My engine would be today's Green Star 18, a Green Star 10 would suit the Storfidra, if one does not plan to use the motor for not more than to get in and out of marinas or anchorages. If using the engine to cover longer distances, it is better to choose a hybrid version (Diesel/electric), but as far as I am informed there is the no such solution on the market for smaller boats.

More info on my el-engine you find under this thread here in the cruiser log: http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f44...boat-4149.html

Take care

Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32: