Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Ensign

Well, I saw katie's(eager2learn) thread with such a positive response and was inspired to stop lurking. So, I guess I've stepped out of the shadows now. My name is Tim. I'm 21 and have almost no sailing experience except for piloting a sunfish. I am reading everything I can about sailing and hope to eventually own a boat to sail the world in. Until then, I am trying on getting on the crew of some of the local people that race their sailboats.

All of you have such a nice community and the posts here have opened my eyes to what sailing might really be like. Well, maybe I still over romanticize it....

Take care all!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the Forum. I'm an enthusiastic advocate of crewing on club racing boats. Amazing what you will learn about sailing and staying cool under pressure. And when the annual migration north to Tonga and Fiji starts, there's usually a good chance you can sign on with one of the boats.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Tim!!!!!! Aww good im not so alone lol see ya around and good luck with everything!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Welcome also,

Jeannes suggestion you get onto a local race boat is a good way to start. Most people assume it is difficult - but the reality is skippers cannot race well without good crew, and they are hard to find. So just call into a local club and ask - you might find yourself learning on a race yacht quicker than you think.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Welcome Aboard Tim,

Your aspirations are like Eager2Learn, with similar ages.

Your post has me wondering how many more maybe be lurking. Just reading is fine, but perhaps many have questions and maybe reluctant to ask. There is no need for reluctance, as everybody starts with their first post. Everybody is welcome and invited to participate within the board rules and etiquette. If you are uncertain, just ask, or send a PM - Private Message to one of the moderators, or admin or lighthouse. We are here to help. Behind the scenes, there is a coordinated effort to make and keep this a nice community.

Thanks for posting. Best wishes on finding a crew position.

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Ensign

I tried to go on my first sailing adventure a few days ago, but we were fogged out! Last thursday was supposed to be the first race of the season but there was thick fog over the water. All the people seemed nice and hopefully this week it will work out a little bit better!

Also, showed me their remote controlled flag boat used to start the races. It was pretty cool!

If any of the other beginners have started to sail or joined the crew on a boat, lets hear about it! There should be plenty of good stories to go around.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Ensign

I got to go sailing for the first time last night! I crewed on a 23 foot beneteau for a race on lake ontario. The winds weren't too strong. The GPS said the boat got up to about 5 mph. So, I have much to learn. Knots don't come to me as second nature yet. Actually nothing really came to me as second nature yet. =D At least it seems I don't get seasick though.

It was fun and relaxing!

Happy sailing.

Tim
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

You will now NEVER get that sailing bug out of your system - welcome to sailing.

Now, learn, learn, learn and SAIL!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
Ensign

Well guys, I'm back. I've sailed a few times, and it was fun. I just got a job offer... It is in Rochester NY. Close enough to lake ontario to live aboard. I want to get out of my apartment, and into a boat as quickly as possible. Does anyone live aboard this far north. If you have advice, boat suggestions, anything really... Please put it all down here!

Oh, You will probably all ask what i want. It can be old and have problems, but it has to be livable. I suppose I'd prefer an inboard motor, ocean going... ish type of vessel. I'm only one person so it doesn't have to be too roomy, but I'd like enough space move around and possibly iron shirts. So ask questions too!

Cheers

Tim
Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

My first boat straight out of school was a CSY-44 which I lived aboard for the first couple of years at my first job. Those were the best couple years of my life!

This was in SoCal, so the live aboard experience was not hampered by weather.

Good luck with your hunt...there are always distress deals to be found if you take your time and walk the docks every weekend. I found both of my boats this way.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
Ensign

Well, I'm back with a little more sailing experience but still no boat. Also, the email address that I used with my first username is out of service and I forgot the password, so I guess I am kiwifruit2: the action packed sequel.

Hello everyone again!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruittwo View Post
Well, I'm back with a little more sailing experience but still no boat. Also, the email address that I used with my first username is out of service and I forgot the password, so I guess I am kiwifruit2: the action packed sequel.

Hello everyone again!
Hi Tim

I live and sail a bit north of where you have been sailing. I know several people that live on sailboats year round in Toronto. It is possible. You will need a bubbler to keep the ice from forming around the boat. My one friend had his boat on the hard one winter and couldn't keep it warm. He has no trouble in the water staying warm. He has walked out on the dock in the winter and taken a header due to ice. He also finds it hard to take ladies back to his place in the winter.

I'd be happy to share some local knowledge with you. I don't live aboard. It doesn't appeal to me in Ontario in the winter and I'm much older than you. Good luck with your plans.

If you'd like to race/crew on Lake Simcoe it can be easily arranged. My husband Tim and I race our C&C30 both at Sail Georgina and in the interclub series. We love to help others catch the sailing bug. I could get you experience on a bunch of different boats. I know all the guys and I'm the club commodore.

Nancy

commodoreATsailgeorgina.ca
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #13
Admiral

Nancy,

and a nice offer !!!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Ensign

Nancy

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know how the winter live aboards handle bathroom stops? Do the facilities in the boat work at all in those conditions or do they get winterized and turned off?

Crewing would be fun. It looks like your lake is about 3 hours from me though. Do you hold any weekend events?

Tim
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Ensign

Tim

The few liveaboards I'm aware of in Toronto are in harbours that keep some facilities open year round for them. Sometimes there can be issues. ie pipes freezing. You may find there are times that you have to shower elsewhere. A pain but can be done using a gym, pool, workplace or friend's.

Too bad you're so far away. We do run some weekend events but they are so dependant on wind. Being on a smaller interior lake our winds are often light and always variable. I'd hate for you to drive 3 hours and have no wind.

Find another club in your area, show up on race night and introduce yourself. Most are always looking for an extra pair of hands. You could try the net and send out emails. Also Ontario Sailing has a list of member clubs online. These are usually clubs running sailing schools.