Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Elephant Butte
Thumbs up Ahoy the shore!

Hi all, Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

I'm Jon
I am currently living on Isabelle my '69 Columbia 36 on Elephant Butte res. in New Mexico refitting and refurbing for solo coastal cruising in so. Florida, the Bahamas, and well, wherever the wind blows me from there.

I'm originally from Texas and spent several years sailing a Sol Cat 18 off of Texas City and Galveston, still kinda new to this big monohull so learning as I go.

Anything ya wanna know just ask I guess

S/V Isabelle
Columbia 36 MkI
Coltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Welcome along Jon. Any one from a place called Elephant Butte has got to be a good bloke with a great sense of humour.

You're in a great part of the world for cruising even if it does get a bit blowy at times. I look forward to hearing your cruising tales and sincerely hope we hear plenty from you. There is a lot of cruising experience on CruiserLog and I am sure your contributions will add to our knowledge and enjoyment.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Doesn't the water get a little shallow between Elephant Butte and the Gulf of Mexico? gts1544
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to Cruiser Log. Please also take a look to our Cruiser's Guide wiki, even better contribute your knowledge.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Ensign

Thumbs up

Thanks Auzzee! Elephant Butte is definitely an interesting place to call home, lots of character for sure I'm still new to cruising and living aboard but I hope that I can be of some help to folks here.

Yeah Gts the water is definitely a bit thin between here and the coast but with all this global warming I figure it wont be long before that changes

Thank you Istioploos, I will definitely check out the wiki, dont know If I'll have much to contribute but I will anywhere I can.

S/V Isabelle
Columbia 36 MkI
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Admiral

I've been trying to supress this and I don't want to offend...however....It must be a little claustrophobic living in............Nah, better not start that.

Anyhow, a friend has a Columbia 36 from the late 60s. He runs surf charters of a remote Indonesian Island and loves his boat. Seems it's a true classic. If you get the time, post a few pix in the gallery.
Best wishes.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Ensign

Thumbs up

Lol You'll have to work pretty hard to offend me Auzzee, besides being a sailor I am a roughneck on a drilling rig and was raised in my mechanic shop. :P

As far as pix of Isabelle, shes not really ready for her debut yet. Once I get some paint and the brightwork done though I will definitely post'em up.

In the mean time here is a pic of the 'butte

http://thedamsite.com/images/damsite-marina.jpg

S/V Isabelle
Columbia 36 MkI
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Admiral

I just checked it out on Google Earth. It looks wonderful. The waterway must be a great place for a weekend afloat. I guess, given the location, that the natural light would make it a photographer's paradise also.

Can you eventually get the boat to the sea on her own bottom, or is it a big truck, six pack and overland to the west?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Ensign

Unfortunately it will be a truck. I wish that werent the case but I dont think I could float her down the Rio Grande river and the way things are along the border these days I dont think I'd take any thing less than a well stocked man-o-war.

The scenery is beautiful and the few pix I have taken have turned out ok. I still have to figure out where I stowed my good camera so I can take some real pics.

S/V Isabelle
Columbia 36 MkI