Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Captain

Home Port: Washington, NC
Vessel Name: Windsong
Default Captain Alex Rust. SV Bubbles 1984-2013

All, I am not sure if you know of Alex Rust. Maybe you might have met him along the way. He is my brother in-law. He spent the previous three years on a circumnavigation around the world aboard Bubbles. His last day on this planet was May 28, 2013. After his circle he came back to America and went back to work for a while. Finding that he had a higher calling he traveled to India around the first of April for another adventure working amongst orphanages. During his time there he developed Typhoid Fever was hospitalized and was released. Sometime after that he relapsed again and was found passed away in a guesthouse room in the Varanassi area of India.
I am not sure if anyone on here ever met him. He was only 28 but had done more than 100 people in there whole lives. Ithought I would post this here to let some that might have knew him know what happened.

Sincerely,

B

Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I didn't know Alex.

I understand the world needs selfless people who try hard to relieve the suffering of others in a world where, so often, care is only offered in return for a cash reward. Alex therefore was a man among men.

I do know, as do so many others here in CL, the pain of such personal loss. I offer you and the members of your extended family my sincere condolences. We can lose a job or a lifestyle and recover, we can lose a fortune and eventually recover; but we can never recover fully from the loss of someone we love. There are always memories which resurface periodically and which therefore serve as an occasional reminder of the loss.

I feel for you and recommend the spiritually profitable venture of sailing with someone else's spirit, across the horizon.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

I met Alex in Palau during his circumnavigation. Of all the cruisers I've known these past 30 years he was one zany person that had a incredible appetite for adventure. People in Koror are still talking about his exploits there. RIP Alex.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
TMN
Ensign

Home Port: Manaus
Vessel Name: Muiraquitã

I was fortunate enough to meet Alex in the Amazon -- he was one of those types who takes sailboats where they don't often go -- he motored up the Tapajós River, in the middle of the jungle, making the locals all googly-eyed. Definitely one of the most interesting and genuine people I've met in my years of travelling. I won't say Rest In Peace -- because resting is for suckers. Travel in Peace, Alex -- for death is but the next great adventure.

-Huck Finn (The nickname Alex bestowed upon me in Bubbles's sailblog -- I never felt more honoured)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: lorient
Default very sad

How very sad.
I met Alex and his formidable crew (Molly, Diego and a third guy I am sorry I forgot his name, Steve?) in Iles du Salut, French Guyana, we visited the islands and had dinner on my boat, then the following days sailed to Suriname, where we spent a few days together. I was sorry I could not make it to the "Welcome Back" party in ST Marteen.

A very kind, generous and brilliant person.

This video was taken as we were on route to Suriname.

Alex Rust - Bubbles - YouTube

My condolences to family and friends
roberto
Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I did not know Alex but he sounds as "my kind of people". My deepest condolences to his family. Please do remember that although his life was short it was full and most important left deep memories to the people that he helped and interacted with.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Captain

Home Port: Washington, NC
Vessel Name: Windsong

Roberto, thank you for the video you shared with us. Molly and Alex both had tried reconnecting with you to talk but could not find you email. She was happy to see the video and hear from you. Thanks again!
Huck Finn, I do recall seeing that story on his Sailblog. Thanks for connecting.

All, if there are any other avenues you use to discuss sailing please by all means pass along the information about Alex.

As for Alex he went out this weekend in a normal Alex fashion. We had a party at his home place for over 48 hours. Approximately 500 people attended the festivities. Two hogs and one calf on the spit and 20 kegs of beer I believe.

Interesting as it may seem I believe his ashes are going to be launched into space sometime in the future.

B
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Findlay
Vessel Name: Plane to Sea

We met Alex in the Bahamas on a 25' Hunter call Wild Sea Monkey..He then sold that boat and bought Bubbles. We followed him throughout his journey around the world via Facebook. His pictures were amazing. He was a kind spirit, full of adventure and loved people. We were so envious of his adventures. We were so sad to hear of his death...He lived an amazing life in his short 29 years. He touched our life.....Sail on Alex Rust!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: San Francisco

We had the pleasure of meeting Alex during the 2010 Tahiti/Moorea Sailing Rendezvous. He had an amazing energy and adventurous outlook on life. We continued following the adventures of Alex and the Bubbles crew via his wonderful blog. I was so sorry to here of his death. In his short time, he lived more than most. My condolences.

Shawn
s/v Active Transport
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Coolongolook
Default forever blowing Bubbles

I met Alex in the Marquesas and our yachts kept company as far as Tahiti. A truely beautiful person, genuine, honest and full of fun, Alex epitomised what sailing the world should be about, not just ticking boxes and following the crowd. No, Alex embraced the whole concept of exploring the world, engaging in other cultures and expanding his horizons. He may be gone, but rest assured he will never be forgotten and the stories told will be universally ones of admiration and love.
Janice Dance
Sv Beaujolais
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: MARINA DEL REY
Vessel Name: MAX

Now, you all may have the opportunity to meet Alex.
Please find the below link to "Chasing Bubbles" - the documentary that tells Alex's story in his own words. It was just released on 9.21.16. Please watch and share on your social media platforms for ALEX so that he can continue to inspire those of us who strive to be just a little more like him.

To Alex!!
See you on the other side, brother.

Jordan Bailey
S/V MAX

[URL="
Old 11-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: GREAT FALLS

Mr. Rust was an amazing young man and the Documentary is extraordinary. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Gulfport
Default Alex and Bubbles in SV Delos Episodes 8 and 9

If no one has ever pointed it out, Alex and the boat crew are in two of SV Delos' early episodes.

In episode 8 at 5:47 they are bush whacking with the Delos crew and towards the end of the video they are hanging out next to the dinghies.

Ep. 8:

P.S. Your brother was an amazing person.