Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: winni peger
Default Dreaming of the Pacific

Hi there. I'm happy to have joined this forum, and it looks attractive, frequented and like a kinda, level-headed and experienced community -- exactly what I need. Let me introduce myself.

My name is Quincy. I'm a 28 year old post-university grad male adventure traveler, aiming to cross the Pacific in the next few years from the Western coast of any of the Americas to get to South East Asia. More info and questions when it comes. I'm not looking for pay, only experience and adventure, and I anticipate learning a lot, working my *** off as a deckhand, pulling lines, watch duty, navigation, cooking, cleaning.

Previously I've travelled throughout South East Asia, United States and Canada--mostly via hitch-hiking and freight trains. Sailing is a relatively new passion, but I'm into it as leisure and as travel.
I aim for a maximum-DIY lifestyle. Personal interests are political philosophy, cycling and repair, music in every way, adventures of all sorts, meeting new people, cooking, lots of reading, self-taught skills, languages, sharing stories.

I've done some research regarding casual passagemaking (what some call hitch-sailing) and checked out some of the free crew-skipper post website, but its hard to know how well they work without actually being ready to set sail somewhere.

This summer I took two levels of Canadian Yachting Association standard CANSail lessons (on a 420), and got out on some dinghies (Fireball & one other I forget the name of) and a 29" cutter of some sort with friends. Next summer I hope to focus more on cruising and associated navigation, live-aboarding necessities, etc. etc.

Any advice regarding future development of my sailing abilities are welcome and appreciated. Look forward to sharing stories with you all some day.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Ocean voyages are mostly fairly laid back affairs interspersed with moments of furious activity and occasional panic. You should have little trouble in getting a ride but just as everyone on the boat works when work needs to be done; so also does everyone contribute to costs. You shouldn't be asked to help pay for fuel or maintenance costs, but you will need to pay your share for living costs.

Ask skippers about these costs. Food, drink and other casual expenses which are purely to make the crew's life easier need to be met up-front without quibble. But if you are asked to pay for fuel, marina fees, paint, a new sail etc., thank the skipper and move on.

Best of luck in your quest.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Ocean voyages are mostly fairly laid back affairs interspersed with moments of furious activity and occasional panic.
Wonderful!
This is the most condenced description of Blue Water Sailing.
Everything is in there.
I Love it!

Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific