Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

I'm Charly, 19 yrs, female, from Germany. I just finished High School and now I'm thinking about fulfilling two of my dreams:

1. Going back to New Zealand (I used to live there for 6 months as an exchange student) for work&travel and

2. travel around the world (or rather half of it) on the water rather than on a plane.

My sailing experience is next to none, but I've got a lot of time (approx. one year) and I am REALLY motivated. Since my financial means aren't that great, I am looking for who'd like me to be their helping hand on board. I love the sea and I'm sure that I'd love to be on the water for a long time...

Now, do you think, that it is realistic to get from Europe to New Zealand or Australia on a boat, or at least part of the way? What do you think? As I said, I don't have any experience with cruising, maybe you know something that would help me? How could I get started on a trip like that? Are you headed to the South Pacific?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think! Thanks for any replies,

charly =)

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlymelon View Post
Hello,

I'm Charly, 19 yrs, female, from Germany. I just finished High School and now I'm thinking about fulfilling two of my dreams:

1. Going back to New Zealand (I used to live there for 6 months as an exchange student) for work&travel and

2. travel around the world (or rather half of it) on the water rather than on a plane.

My sailing experience is next to none, but I've got a lot of time (approx. one year) and I am REALLY motivated. Since my financial means aren't that great, I am looking for who'd like me to be their helping hand on board. I love the sea and I'm sure that I'd love to be on the water for a long time...

Now, do you think, that it is realistic to get from Europe to New Zealand or Australia on a boat, or at least part of the way? What do you think? As I said, I don't have any experience with cruising, maybe you know something that would help me? How could I get started on a trip like that? Are you headed to the South Pacific?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think! Thanks for any replies,

charly =)
Hi, Charly,

You may wish to post your interest in crewing on the crewfinder section of our site. I'm sure you can find a spot crewing for someone, somewhere. But, probably not from Europe to NZ.

It would be unlikely that you'll find the ability to hitch a ride for such a great distance to be covered in so little time (a year is not much time)--especially since you're a non-sailor and thus an "unknown" for any skipper who might take you on. Thus, you might have much better luck simply placing an ad to crew for someone anywhere in the world and see what pops up within reasonable airfare from your present location.

If you have NO real sailing experience, get out there NOW and take a few lessons or get someone that you know with a boat to take you sailing. You really need to understand how your body will react to being on an ocean passage. You need to know that BEFORE you put yourself in a position to be miserable on a passage and to hinder the crew of the boat that is willing to take you along.

There are many people who romanticize the notion of sailing some great distance rather than simply flying. If you don't have time OR you don't have money (and you state you don't have either), sailing isn't really in the cards at all.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe