Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Palmetto, FL
Default First Post of Many I Hope

Hello all,
I am the new owner of a well-traveled 1987 Gulfstar 54 Sailcruiser. I'm not completely new to sailing and my career in the US Navy kept me on the water for a good part of my life but this is a big sailboat for me. I look forward to the discussions on this board and I am open to learning from the old timers (high-number posters). Oh yeah, if anybody has an old Northstar 951 or 952 cover, I could use one.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

Welcome to Cruisers Log!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome to Cruiser Log. Is your boat ketch-rigged? 5' fin keel? Nice configuration for going just about anywhere. Looks very comfortable.

We've met many cruising ex-Navy men who just couldn't leave the sea after they'd left the Navy, and it's easy for me to understand that.

Where do you plan to take her?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Mark,
As with motorcycles and beer, I have tried to do without sailing boats. It just doesn't seem to work! Welcome aboard and I hope we can trade ideas over time.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Ensign

Auzzee,
Yes, it was motorcycles in my younger days, first the dirt bikes then the street bikes. Beer, always! I'll hoist a Fosters to that.

Jeanne,
BAREFOOT is ketch rigged with a 4' 11" draft and 55' mast for those non-lifting bridges. It is suited to the Intra-Coastal Waterway, and we plan to stay in the Tampa area for awhile. In a year or two we may venture down south to Key West and maybe around the bottom to the Bahamas.

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Admiral

As my signature line says, we left to go cruising in 1986, and when we got to the Bahamas I fell in love with the amazingly clear water and blinding white sand. We spent about a month there, but had to leave to get to the Dominican Republic on somebody else's schedule. (Though we quickly learned that that was not the way to cruise, and embraced schedules writ in sand). Although reluctant to leave, I promised myself that we'd come back when we had gotten the hard sailing out of our systems and we were old.

We're "old" now, and so of course when we got back to the U.S. we headed for the Bahamas. And you know what? The water is still amazingly clear, the sand is still blindingly white, and the locals on the out islands are still sweet and friendly. You've got to go there, and a sailboat is the way to go!

Fair winds,
Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: port washington
Vessel Name: was, Al-Lyns Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucitt View Post
Hello all,
I am the new owner of a well-traveled 1987 Gulfstar 54 Sailcruiser. I'm not completely new to sailing and my career in the US Navy kept me on the water for a good part of my life but this is a big sailboat for me. I look forward to the discussions on this board and I am open to learning from the old timers (high-number posters). Oh yeah, if anybody has an old Northstar 951 or 952 cover, I could use one.

Thanks,
Mark
Your boat is a big one for any person with a brain. I have sailed for most of my life and I always suggested people get started on Small boats, 22 footers etc.
But the deed is done, So start with basics. check out all the systems & equipment on the boat. if you don't have the original operating manuals on for each item, get it online. Keep them on board, approach each item one at a time and learn how to use it, how to fix it, determine if you would feel comfortable without it wile under way, if you don't it should be on your list of things to buy.
That's right if you would not feel good at sea without it you should have a redundant item on board in the case of failure. You may think I'm nuts, but when something goes out wile at sea you'll remember this advice.
The Sandman
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It seems to me that Mark has come down in size somewhat and as a CAREER SAILOR, I should think he has dispensed a great deal of sensible, valuable advice to newbies regarding systems and equipment on boats and ships of all dimensions.

The 22 footer is a great idea for youngsters wanting to discover the sea. But I feel Mark, despite his humble assertions, is probably a little more capable than The Sandman has given him credit for.

Anyhow Sandy, good to see you here; welcome, and how about a bit of a bio on you and your boat.
Cheers,

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Ensign

Sandman,
Your comments are profound and wise.
I started out on a Charles F. Adams-class destroyer at 437 feet in 1976.
I transferred to a Knox-class frigate at 438 feet.
Then to the USS Bunker Hill at 567 feet.
Finally, retired on the USS California at 596 feet in 1996.

Then I became a sailor on a Catalina 22 in San Diego,
Graduated to my father's Ericson 36 in Marina Del Ray,
Tried a J24 at Treasure Island, CA,
Finished on a Ericson 29 in Boston, and bought the Gulfstar 54 in Florida.
The first time I was 180 degree twisting the 54 1/2 foot Sailcruiser in a 60 foot wide marina channel, I was a bit puckered. But I did it with both engines opposed and drew light applause from the onlookers.

I am doing exactly as you suggested, closely scrutinizing one system at a time (all eight Barient winches, main and mizzen booms, rudder post stuffing tube and bearings, etc.). I have a long way to go but that is part of the fun.
Mark