Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
Commander

One more note... Jeanne probably had an important statement in one of her replies. Charter it, or a like model, first. I almost bought a ---- well the absolute wrong boat. I fell in love with the stupid thing and luckily it was available for charter, which I did. I saved myself a lot of grief by chartering.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Spike_dawg

One more note... Jeanne probably had an important statement in one of her replies. Charter it, or a like model, first. I almost bought a ---- well the absolute wrong boat. I fell in love with the stupid thing and luckily it was available for charter, which I did. I saved myself a lot of grief by chartering.
Hello Spike...

Wow...that almost sounds scary. We never really gave too much thought to an offshore charter for an extended period of time. We have "tried this and that", but we were unable to form an honest opinion to ourselves about any specific vessel. Well, that may not be completely accurate. We would have definite opinions like, "headroom is great in this boat", "sailhandling is convenient in that boat" etc, but we never really put any model down for a shakedown period long enough to rate all of its pros and cons. Damnn, not accurate again...the exception was a powercat. Totally blind in love until we turned on the motors...we jumped ship and didn't even stop to think about whether we were wearing PFD's. Like Jeanne and Peter, that may change for us in the future...but not now.

I'm not even sure that we would like to base our decision to accept or reject based on a charter vessel anyway. The refrigerator, lights and motors on a charter could be falling apart, but may be the top of the line that has served a sailor loyaly for years. We have been told that charter vessels get some serious punishment for the money they attract . Shoot, I have an old salt of a friend (74 not that old) that tells me that he hightails it out or through areas that run charters because their patrons are significant hazards to marine vessels and life, whether under way or not.

We intend to engage the owner of the candidate vessel and offer him just compensation for say a three week cruise at our expense while we decide if the vessel is for us or not. At the very least, the owner gets a cruise and, expenses paid if we decide not to purchase or the obverse, the owner gets a last sail and can pass on "familiarization" knowledge to us if we do purchase. I understand most sailors are an understanding lot, but, we're prepared for the rejection by the onery few. I think it's a good proposition and for us a serious proposition since we aren't lookin to get a vessel for a year and pass on the headache to someone else.

Update to my original request...I have received a spreadsheet from one of our members, Francis Maube and, it is a work of art. It is cold-hearted and to the point. Totally objective without room for any feelings, and very extensive and complete. I will be making some changes (not many)to taylor it for our needs. We are very grateful to Francis for the effort he has made in putting it together and wanted to express our gratitude publicly. This has definitely given us a head start...it also helps us to understand the importance of being thorough when it is time to head for the high seas.

Fair winds,

J