Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Ensign

My wife and I are looking to start cruising in 2010. Can someone let us know the typical and unexpected costs that we can expect. Boy so many questions about so many things. Any advise is welcomed

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Ensign

If I was you,I'd go to the home page and click on "Cruising Narratives". Scroll down and on the left hand side is the web site and daily logs of "Ocelot". John Hacking is a computer....expert and slightly anal is his description and ideas as it pertained to cruising. That said, he is a very nice guy and has a wealth of knowledge. His family has been cruising for 7 or 8 years now and has a list of expenses to help you plan your life. I've been in contact with him a few times and I would use his site as a very good, and informative, guide to circling the globe. It is quite a read abd I sugesst that you take a few days to explore his/their writings. Very top notch.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome,

How is your research and preparation going? How big of a boat do you have now or are you buying one for your travels? Costs are certainly really related to size of boat, you know.

Enjoy the boards,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Admiral

Costs are also dependent upon where you will be traveling, how much experience you have sailing, your preferences - marina living or anchoring out.

The Caribbean is very expensive for food, and will cost you approximately 25% more than food in the US. *The exception would be Trinidad, and fresh fruits many places from the local markets. *You can find reasonabily priced repair parts and boat gear in islands where there is a Budget Marine. *Anchoring out is still the norm, though I hear that in the islands of St. Martin/Sint Maarten and St. Barths they now charge for anchoring out.

South American is, in general, quite inexpensive for food, but quite difficult to obtain imported boat parts.

The South Pacific is expensive for everything, with a few exceptions.

Australia is quite expensive for any imported items; food is usually reasonable and there are excellent items for privisioning, including the best dried vegetables we have found. *(I understand that New Zealand also has excellent dried veggies).

In general, living aboard a boat and actively cruising is quite a bit cheaper than living on land if you prepare most of your own meals, anchor out most of the time, and don't spend an outrageous amount of money on telephone communications to your friends and family back home. *Skype and a HAM license can help immensely in this area.

It's a wonderful lifestyle, though if you haven't done much sailing or cruising it takes some adjusting.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote