Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Brussels
Talking Happy to join

Hello dear friends and sailors ;
My name 's Jeremy and next year I'll do a "Love World Tour" with my lovely fiancé Aurélie.
It's the dream of our lives and it's finally going to be a reality!

The aims of that tour are to encounter different ways of thinking , living , and enjoying life ; to see different countries with their own landscapes and to find a place to live our life as we want to : near the sea , with the rhythm of nature , and open minded people.

We've already planned many steps of our world tour but there's still one big question we can't solve. We heard so many things about the boat stop between the Pacific Islands but not precise enough. So we hope by joining this site to have more informations about the different possibilities.

Another goal could be a little trip with a nice crew to get experience of living on a boat.
We're really motivated and really wanna live such a wonderful experience. We know it's not easy but we're strong and we're real Sea Lovers!!

See you on other threads and sorry for my english I know it's not perfect ;-)

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to Cruiser Log Jeremy. Tou may also be interested to look at our wiki Cruising Guide.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks it seems fully interesting yes!!

I'll try to find the answers I need and if I can't I'll post something on this nice forum.
See you
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome

Please tell us more about your plans so we can help you. Enjoy browsing the forums and ask questions where ever you have them.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Ensign

Question Unrealistic??

Well if you don't mind...
Here's the plan : Departure from London around the 6th November 2012 then :
1. North India ( 7th November 2012 ) : 2 weeks
2. South India ( 21 November 2012 ) : 3 weeks
3. Sri Lanka ( 12 December 2012 ) : 2 weeks
4. Philippines ( 26 December 2012 ) : 3 weeks
5. Australia ( 16 January 2013 ) : 3 months
6. New Caledonia ( 16 April 2013 ) : 3 weeks
7. Pacific Islands (6th Mai 2013 ) : for the moment : Fidji, Cook Island ( Aitutaki) , "Niue" and French Polynesia : 4 Months within 2 months in French Polynesia
8. Eastern Island ( 6th September 2013 ) : one week
9. Brazil ( 13th September 2013 ) : 3 weeks
10. Costa Rica ( 5 th October 2013 ) : 3 weeks
Final destination : London

The main problem is how to go from New Caledonia to French Polynesia passing by Fidji Aitutaki and Niue if it's possible in the time we have : 2months. With the plane it's really too expansive for us so we were thinking about taking a boat. But we heard that in that direction (so from West ( New Caledonia) to East (French Polynesia) it was hard to find a boat because of the current marine that goes opposite. And I did see that with a boat we can do about 200km by 24h so just for the travel we'll need approximately 1month. Is that true?? What can you recommend us to do???
Do you see another way for crossing those pacific Island. The only things we really want is to have 2months in French polynesia because it could be our new living place and within the two other months we have try to visit as many island as possible from our list ( Fidji, Aitutaki and Niue ) / to do it without the plane and on the sea we love so much.

Thanks for reading all that stuff , hoping our dream isn't too unrealistic
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Ensign

Question

Are my questions not clear enough??
Or maybe too long ??
If you got any information I take it!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi again. I think I missed your post a couple days ago--sorry.

So, I am actually a little MORE confused about your plans. You have very well defined dates for the entire trip--so you will be flying or taking commercial (e.g. cruise ship?) travel on the ocean for the various legs. However, you only wish to travel via private yacht / cruising boat while you go "from New Caledonia to French Polynesia passing by Fidji Aitutaki and Niue if it's possible" in 2 months or less, right?

If that is the case, my thoughts are along the lines of "this would take a miracle" and "shop around and get some good plane tickets or charter a boat or both." So, I think I cannot advise you on the matter from my limited experience-- however, we do have a couple very experienced cruisers here who have traveled through the South Pacific and may be able to help you more.

I hope they will happen along shortly.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Admiral

How fortunate you two are to have the opportunity to travel around the world while you are still young and energetic.

It is a very rare cruising yacht that travels from West to East, particularly in the South Pacific. As for travel time if you are considering hitching a ride with a cruising yacht, the distance that the average cruising yacht covers in 24 hours is about 150 miles - traveling from East to West. Going from West to East, we've had days when we were lucky to make 50 miles!

Examples of speed/distance in the favorable East to West direction. We left Ecuador and sailed for 19 days to reach Easter Island. Another 12 or 13 to get to Pitcairn Island, and 3 or 5 days then to the Gambier Islands in French Polynesia. Another 5 to 10 days to Tahiti.

Once you get to French Polynesia, you can sometimes visit the outlying islands via island freighter, but.... it visits the various island groups only once a month. So if you wanted to go to the Gambiers, for example, you would wait a full month there before you were taken back to Tahiti by freighter. We liked French Polynesia tremendously, and one of my regrets (and there are very few regrets in my life) was not finding a way to spend more than one season there.

Niue is a rather remote place that you need to work at visiting. We loved it. I just tried to find flights to Niue, but my US-oriented search engines aren't very successful. To the best of my knowledge (limited, though, I admit), you can only fly to and from Niue from New Zealand.

Easter Island is a one-week only visit - one flight per week. Cool place, though! From/to Tahiti, or from/to Valparaiso, Chile.

There's more, particularly with regard to weather and cyclone/hurricane/monsoon seasons. Cruising yachts visit the various areas during non-tropical storm seasons, so you might want to visit the Cruising Wiki to get a better idea of when yachts are traveling/weather is favorable. Hitchhiking the Oceans as Sailing Crew Hitchhiking the Oceans as Sailing Crew - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Yacht Crewing Information - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Ensign

Talking

Thank you again for your encouraging answers!!!
After months of research , changes , etc etc and thank to your answers we planned our Love World Tour version 2.0 ;-)
Now we don't have real time problem because we don't use a world tour ticket anymore. And the only travel we want to do by boat is Fidji Island to New Caledonia, so now it's in the good direction and time isn't a problem anymore. Do you think it's feasible now???

If it is I'll search on several sites. But is anybody able to tell me the difference between Crew , crew position etc ??

THANK YOU VERY MUCH