Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
rich

Home Port: st. louis
Default Hello All!

I am new to this website and I am about to venture into deep research about sailing. I plan to spend much of my future around the ocean. I live in missouri and plan to buy a condo for rental/vacation. I am torn between looking on the gulf or atlantic side of south florida. I have visited both and well aware of the different attributes of each on land. I am curious to know which is better for sailing? Which side has more to offer for crusing the seas?

Thank you all

Rich

Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: To Be Determined

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum.

I have lived on both the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic sides of southern and northern Florida. I liked the Atlantic side much better. In the southern end on the Atlantic side you have somewhat better weather with a better breeze. This seems to keep the humidity feeling more comfortable.

As far as sailing I have never sailed in that area but did spend considerable time there using powerboats. The water on the Atlantic side IMHO simply has a better quality about it. Also on the Atlantic side you are a quick jaunt away from the Bahamas where there are excellent areas to visit and dive. Also on the Atlantic side you do not have to worry about oil rigs like those that plague the Gulf.

Be well,

JP
JPPonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Pull out the charts and take a look at depths, too when considering location in FL.

If you will consider only winter time sailing, you might want to look at buying a condo or keeping a cruising boat (who needs the condo anyway?) along Mexico's Sea of Cortez, or down the west coast of Mexico--Mazatlan and points south. Many Americans retire along Mexico's west coast either on a boat or in a condo.

Great diving, great fishing, snorkeling, wintertime weather is awesome though summertime is hot similar to So. Fl but you won't have to worry so much about hurricanes as in FL.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
rich

Thankyou so much for all your information. Is there any particular areas in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area to stay way from? I would be looking for a condo with the ability to morn a boat in the intercostal water way or canel. You all are alot of help!

Thanks again
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Do you already sail? Or is this something you'll be picking up after your move?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
rich

I plan to learn up here in the St. Louis area, and then take what I have learned and apply it down there. I am sure sailing the sea is much different then lakes.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Our member wildernesstech keeps a boat in Missouri as well as in the Caribbean.

Sailing the ocean is actually easier than sailing fresh water--for example, the great lakes. Salt water is more buoyant for one thing and often lakes have shallows with high winds--that means steep waves/chop. Some large bays have the same issues, too.

There's no hurry to purchase real estate in Florida's down market is there? You might consider renting a slip in a marina for your visits there so that you won't be "stuck" with a bit of property that you don't want or need later. It would likely be just as easy, cheap, and more fun to keep your boat in the Caribbean than in So.Fl.