Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: culpeper
Default hello all, have winch question

I have to rebuild an old ca. 1962 southcoast?? or merriman winch...it freewheels; pawls not engaging. I have not tried to rip it down yet so if you have any tips on disassembly they would be much appreciated. thanks, and glad to be with you all! By the way, they look like this:
http://www.albergsailboats.org/index...sale1-185.html

Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard!

We have a member, dobrodaddy, who is cruising in Mexico right now who may be able to help you--he worked at a yacht surplus store and ended up taking apart, cleaning, rebuilding alot if different winches. I have PM'd him in case he's in port w/internet access. Fingers crossed. That's the only problem with having a bunch of active cruisers as members--no one is actually around the computer!

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for your efforts. I'm pretty good with all things mechanical but I also know that starting a job with advance knowledge is a good thing. I know I could figure it out but I'd rather not. Fabricating a new pawl or making/using/finding a replacement spring is not a problem. I hope I find old grease and corrosion and just have a clean and lube job. We'll see. Anyway, thanks again, Bob
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

OK, here's the scoop from a nearby boater--those you show don't have the button in the middle, most have a button that you have to push down. Yours doesn't. If it doesn't have the Merriman Trident it may be a different brand. Anyway, that slot in the top is something you're supposed to place a large flat blade screwdriver or the end of the handle in (if you've got the right handle) to use as a screwdriver. Turn and it unthreads and allows you to remove the winch drum. Then you should see the attachment bolts holding it to your boat. Depending on brand and age it will either have springs and pawls or a bar system. You can decide what you've got and what to do once you've got it apart.

I've found pawls for similar snubber winches via Minney's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach, CA (used) and they have various winches and parts there. You may also get things via www.rigrite.com here in the states.

Hope that helps.

PS though you're interested in the winch rebuild, you might wish to re-bed it to the boat while you've got it opened up.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the info. I just bought the boat last Fri. so have not had a chance to go through everything, but it does have a winch handle which looks old as the hills. I thought the slot was for a screwdriver and I am pretty sure I have one that will work. If not I figured I could make a tool out of an old file or chisel but I doubt I ever would have thought to check the end of the winch handle. That is exactly why I posted. Thanks much! I hope to have it repaired by Wed. night. I'll keep you posted if you are interested. Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Ensign

PS I don't think I will re-bed at this time because I will be stripping off most of the deck hardware when she gets to her new home. By the way, this is a Pearson Triton hull #234. She's pretty much a rat right now from neglect but there is still the Alberg elegance there. Someone beefed up the rigging (good) and added an inner forestay which runs from the original mast fastening for the fractional rig to the deck about halfway between the bow and doghouse, and ran a masthead forestay to the bow (also good). They were also kind enough to leave the jib halyard at the masthead (not too good). I wish I knew who to thank for that! The inner has a roller furl which looks pretty iffy, and the outer is hankon. So she is sort of a 1/2assed cutter at this point. I am old school and so is she so I expect we will get along just fine. Eventually I'll have her looking like a prom queen. I wish she could talk. Anyway, thanks again.