Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Ensign

New member here and just wanted to say hello to the folks in the tavern. I'm a relatively green sailor. I used to sail sunfish and other small craft on lakes, and more recently I have sailed small yachts with experienced crew as a volunteer for a San Francisco-based organization called BAADS. That stands for the Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors. I was an able-body volunteer learning from, and working with, disabled (and often very skilled and knowledgeable) sailors.

Like many, I'm a beginner, who has dreams of world cruising. I'm slowly working towards those dreams, but it's hard without a community. My friends and family do not sail so I'm really glad to have found this forum.

I'm know I can benefit from the knowledge here, and from seeing people who have achieved their goals. Understanding the path from a land-locked, corporate worker to a competent sailor is probably the first step.

I currently work a more-than-full-time job in video games, and lead a very active life on land. Being in the Bay Area, I think it may be a good step to buy an affordable blue water boat, and live aboard while retaining my job, learning the ropes, and saving for my journey. Saving for a boat, improving my skills, and learning about how to buy and live on a boat, seem like my first major tasks. I'm curious about the necessity of lessons, as they seem like a substantial expense.

I'll continue to be reading the forum, and wish you all the best.

Cheers & thanks,

-Jordan

Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Jordan - I'm sure that you will learn as much here as I do every day.

Make yourself at home!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome Jordan to the "club". All of us here started with a dream. But if you follow the bios of the members or their blogs you will see that many of us were lucky to realize our cruising dreams. Many still pursue them.

For several years I did software development and consulting while cruising. So, video game development is not incompatible with life afloat.

Good luck!

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Ensign

Thank you both for the warm welcome. Istioploos, it's exciting to hear about the possibility of working while cruising. Were you working for a company, or for yourself? Did that kind of lifestyle go smoothly?

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospiracynet View Post
Were you working for a company, or for yourself?
I had just retired from a company but they had a contract which I had nursed for years. So, I was able to keep on developing some critical software modules for them. It lasted for a little over a year.

Quote:
Did that kind of lifestyle go smoothly?
It was fairly smooth while I was doing work for a single entity. But when I started consulting it became problematic. I would be on my boat when a client would call with an emergency. They expected me to drop everything and fly over. Of course, I had to first take the boat to safe harbor. They did not like the delay. So, after another year I, and in fairness to my clients, I gave up.

But I still think that a freelance developer can still do good work while cruising.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

G'Day Jordan,

Glad you found this community and I join the others in wishing you well.

Have to say also I applaud your input to the disable sailing group - it is nice to know others out there are helping people get a taste of what sailing can give. Seriously - well done.

I would also suggest it might help to find that elusive local sailing commnity in real time.

Maybe consider getting into a more informative sailing scene for your own benefit - perhaps as race crew? It is an oft asked question about how is it best to learn and get experience so as to build competence for longer range cruising. Sailing schools or an acadamy is one way, but simply offering your services as race crew via a local yacth club is another.

Cost nix except a commitment and time - and sounds like you have the first - and some of the second!

JOHN