Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to chsthree

My name is Chuck. I am a 40 year young male from the U.S. seeking new adventure. Two years ago I purchased a Lido 14 from a friend and learned to sail her on the lakes here in Idaho. From the first moment I took the I tiller, I have been hooked and hope that someday I may call myself a sailor. This posting is the first step in that pursuit. I am encouraged that there are so many others, like me, that not only dream of far off voyages but who are living that dream. I look forward to speaking to you all.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome Chuck. We all understand and share your addiction. Happy New Year.

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Chuck. I hope that we can help you to realise your dream.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Ensign

Hello Chuck from Idaho,

I have raced and cruised many different boats, inshore and offshore, lived aboard a few (even in winter) and still get a kick out hearing how people got "hooked".

Some of the best sailing adventures I ever had included camp cruising the Maine coast in a FoldBoat, a collapsable canvas kayak with a lateen sail and leeboards. My Dad started me out in a flat bottom, leaky old skiff with a lug rig. At 8 years old I was captain of all the lake (Dad was never too far away).

My thoughts for you are these:

Always keep the fun to dollar ratio in proper balance. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Sailing a small boat is certainly more demanding and challenging than sailing a heavy keel boat. And you can go places the bigger boats can't.

Learn to fix EVERYTHING yourself. You will not only save big bucks, but you will be a safer, more competent sailor.

Keep it simple. Don't have anything aboard you cannot either fix yourself or live without.

Don't sail into any place that you can't eventually sail yourself out of. Engines can be wonderful things, but you should never trust your safety to one.

Learn to anchor........Practice in challenging situations. The ability to set an anchor, to know where to anchor and where not to, will extend your life.

Avoid marine retailers. The magazines and catalogs are all designed to lure you into spending money on things you don't need. I am not a luddite nor a a technophobe. There have been some wonderful advances in sailing technology. The marketeers will make you believe you must have all of it. Watch the people who handle their boats with real skill and who, when they are dockside, are working on their boats. Chances are, they can and will gladly steer you into making wise investments.

Sailors tend to be a friendly bunch. Show up on the docks on race day, ready to go, with a smile, a willing attitude and an honest desire to learn and you'll very likely find a ride. Do that enough times and word will get around. You will find yourself in demand. You will learn more that way than in a million years of sailing school. And you will make some great friends.

Best of luck in pursuing your adventures. And if long distance cruising is in your future, go sooner rather than later.

Don
Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to SilentOption

Welcome Chuck!

I am new to this site myself but not new to sailing. I also live on a lake in Virginia. We have been steadily building our own yacht club in the back yard with Sunfish and an assortment of other cats and dog boats in the 14 foot range.

I know what you mean about getting hooked on it. I also have a larger cruising boat and have been cruising and living and working on the water for over 30 years. Through it all I still love racing around the lake on the Sunfish or sitting in the cockpit at a marina anywhere and watching the world go by. Its all good!

I hope it doesn't take long for you to get out on the big water and go someplace. When you have watched the sunset and rise at sea your life will change again.

BTW You don't need to do anything more than you have done to be called a sailor. If you have been getting blown around for two years you are one!

Best Regards

CSY 44

Silent Option
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote