Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Just wanted to introduce myself to Cruiser log.

Hi fellow sailors, my name is Steve, my dog's name is Jake, and my boat's name is "Island Seeker".

I am a new member currently in San Diego working toward the dream of cruising the world.Island Seeker is currently undergoing a complete refit inside and out. I have been working on her for 2 years now and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I am hoping to make the "Jump"

Nov 2009, San Diego to Costa Rica; then? Island Seeker is a Custom built wood 58' sloop. Yes, she's wood and I don't mind. I hope to speak with other members in the future and who knows, possibly cross paths somewhere, sometime. Looks like a great site to belong to. Tight Sails everyone!!

Steve, n' Jake aboard Island Seeker
Attached Thumbnails
Island_Seeker___04_27_07__Max_PCR_system...Hi_Res_pics_043.jpg  

For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Steve,

One of our Moderators is in your neck of the woods doing something similar on a Schooner.

Where are you located? Got some pictures ??

Richard

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Steve (and Jake) - good to have you here amongst this friendly crew. We hope to hear more about the work you're doing on the boat and your future plans.

Settle in - grab a beer as they are on the house today!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Welcome Steve,

One of our Moderators is in your neck of the woods doing something similar on a Schooner.

Where are you located? Got some pictures ??

Richard
Richard, thanks for the wlcome note. I am currently located in San Diego bay at Driscoll's wharf, (the old commercial fishing wharf...It is the only place I can keep the boat and work on it without getting in trouble with the neighbors. I will try and attatch some pics fo you to see.

Island Seeker is a very unusual vessel. She was built by a 2x TransPac winner as an experimental hull design. She was fitted with a 90' tapered aluminum boomless rig for downwind sailing. The hull is fitted with a "cathedral bow" with a canoe stern, looks similar to a Boston Whaler hull in the front. I will attempt to attatch some pics now, Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Island_Seeker___04_27_07__Max_PCR_system...Hi_Res_pics_165.jpg   Trick_Island_Seeker.jpg  
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Admiral

Thanks Steve for the pics and your info. Gosh! "Cathedral" takes me back to a runabout I had last century, it was 'Cathedral Hulled' - made by Evinrude and was powered by a 50HP Evinrude O/B. A very stable go fast platform!

"Island Seeker" what draft ? what is the pulpit made of ? I guess on a reach the lee hull will provide additional bite ?

P.S Maybe becomes a monohull when sufficiently heeled ?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Welcome! to the Cruiser Log

I'm the one working on a wooden schooner in San Diego. We'll have to compare notes on the work and the progress. Are you changing any aspect of the rig or leaving as it was for racing? Sounds very interesting--though I must admit that's gotta be a huge sloop rig! How many square feet on the 100% jib? Are your winches powered? Boomless...not even a wishbone rig? How to manage sail shape? I'm all questions and would love to hear about her performance.

Welcome, again.

Brenda aka "redbopeep"

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome! to the Cruiser Log

I'm the one working on a wooden schooner in San Diego. We'll have to compare notes on the work and the progress. Are you changing any aspect of the rig or leaving as it was for racing? Sounds very interesting--though I must admit that's gotta be a huge sloop rig! How many square feet on the 100% jib? Are your winches powered? Boomless...not even a wishbone rig? How to manage sail shape? I'm all questions and would love to hear about her performance.

Welcome, again.

Brenda aka "redbopeep"
Brenda,

Greetings from Island Seeker! Good to know that there is someone local to talk "wood" boats on this site. Thanks for letting me know, I was hoping I wasn't alone on my "struggle" toward the "dream".

As far as Island Seeker goes, I do plan on leaving most everything as is except I plan on adding a boom for the main. She has a behind the mast furling system which I have rebuilt and will reinstall after I finish painting the mast I sanded it top to bottom and am awaiting the primer delivery now. What a job! I am looking at a nice heavy duty boom from a late model Santa Cruz 52'. It appears that it will fit nicely.

I don't have any calculations on square footage of the sails yet. I'll try and get some measurements tomorrow. You got me curious too, I just havn't taken the time.

All the winches are non-self tailing 2 and 3 speed. Also unusual, like I.S. They appear to be custom made as the handle is unlike any I have seen. I only have 1 good handle and I have searched everywhere including the net to no avail. I'll get some pics and try to add a post to see if anyone on the "Log" can help. Eventually I will probably replace them slowly with self-tailers as funds become available, I plan on sailing single handed most of the time so I will rig accordingly. Possibly elec. or hyd. winches for the genoa.

The foresail is a furling rig and self tacking (as is the main). The main is truely a boomless rig, the traveler is about 8' off the aft deck mounted in between the twin backstays...? I can't really say much about performance because my sailing with her is extremely limited. That will change.

She has a keel mounted rudder and another rudder about 6' from the stern with "wheel in wheel" Helm. Both rudders can turn together or seperately! Strange huh? The idea is both are used under power for amazing manuverability and the smaller aft rudder is used for sailing and trim. She sails pretty much hands free once trimmed correctly.

Well, I feel as though I'm rambling on about my project. What about you? Are you currently sailing your schooner, looks like a beautiful rig if that's her in the pic. Tell me about your project please.

Thanks for the greet and the questions. As you can tell I enjoy talking boats. Especially wooden boats, a dying breed. I'm sure we'll talk more, thanks Brenda

Steve aka islandseeker
Attached Thumbnails
Island_Seeker___01_16_2007..._A_8_Anchorage_078.jpg  

- RICHARD BODE
Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
All the winches are non-self tailing 2 and 3 speed. Also unusual, like I.S. They appear to be custom made as the handle is unlike any I have seen. I only have 1 good handle and I have searched everywhere including the net to no avail. I'll get some pics and try to add a post to see if anyone on the "Log" can help. Eventually I will probably replace them slowly with self-tailers as funds become available, I plan on sailing single handed most of the time so I will rig accordingly. Possibly elec. or hyd. winches for the genoa.

Steve aka islandseeker
Hi Steve

Obviously without a photo can't do more than guess - eg Merriman Winch ??? Handle has female square connector - not male hex??

Anyway have a look at this Outfit They are usually good at identifying winches and handles.

Richard
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Steve

Obviously without a photo can't do more than guess - eg Merriman Winch ??? Handle has female square connector - not male hex??

Anyway have a look at this Outfit They are usually good at identifying winches and handles.

Richard
Richard,

Thanks, I will try the "outfit" you recomend. Here is a pic of the winches, any help would be appreciated, Steve aka islandseeker
Attached Thumbnails
Predmores_and_engine_removal_097.jpg  

- RICHARD BODE
Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
Richard,

Thanks, I will try the "outfit" you recomend. Here is a pic of the winches, any help would be appreciated, Steve aka islandseeker
P.s.- I found this raised logo on the winch handle, look familiar anyone?

Best regards all! Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Predmores_and_engine_removal_100.jpg  

- RICHARD BODE

Tags
island