Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

Hello all!

My husband Jon and I are considering taking a couple of years to learn to sail & we're dreaming at this point but hope to do some coastal cruising living aboard! We know nothing other than what we're consuming our time with reading and reading and reading. I just looked into some intormation on a ASA Sailing School not too far away.

Can anyone give me a rundown of what makes chronological sense as to what we should be doing first and how to progress to make our dreams a reality?

Thanks in advance & I hope to be here a LONG time and make some lifelong friends along the way!

Jon & Phyllis

Lathrop, Missouri
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Let me welcome you to our friendy forum. It is good to have you here and I'm sure that others will be along shortly to assist you with your questions.

Make yourself at home and ask as many questions as you wish - someone will help.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks a bunch! I will do that!

Waiting patiently.

Jon & Phyllis

Lathrop, Missouri
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Thanks a bunch! I will do that!

Waiting patiently.

One of our member couples, Wildernesstech, is in your neck of the woods and might be very helpful to talk to.

My husband and I decided that we'd like to learn to sail when we lived in Indiana, lucky for us, Hubby joined the Navy and we ended up near good sailing grounds and had an easy time of getting into sailing pretty much everywhere he was stationed. We learned by crewing for racers and then later took lessons (similar to the ASA syllabus) via Navy-sponsored or USCG sponsored classes. Where there's a will there's a way We always sailed on friends' boats, rented, or chartered boats for our sailing--so, while working and doing the "normal stuff" of life, other than having a sailing rig on our canoe, we sailed for 24 years on other folks boats.

Then, when we realized almost a quarter century had passed while we were doing other things besides voyaging, we finally sold the house and bought a boat to live aboard and voyage with in 2006. Of course, ever the DIY folks with peculiar taste, we bought a very old classic schooner needing lots of work, so we've just now re-launched and are starting our cruising work-ups.

What are your goals and what is your timeframe? One of the more fun "make it happen by learning-to-sail and make your mistakes while cruising" experiences to read (online) is a young couple Ali and Pat here. Start with their intro 2003 (at the bottom of the page) and read on.

Most folks end up living a lifetime of work, school, raising kids, etc while they're accumulating the skills they feel they need to finally take off cruising. Both hubby and I are inspired when we see a story like Pat and Ali of folks who just get up and go!

Best regards,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi,

The best thing to do is to crew on someones boat,

all owners are looking for crew.

Then go on a flotilla in the Ionian Sea.

Forget about the books,

no time to read one when you are hit by B8 with full sails up.

Just back from Dodecaneese.

s/v Beowulf
summercruise is offline   Reply With Quote